Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone else get numb arms when they wake up?

Options
  • 12-11-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

i sleep on my sides and usually wake up every morning with numb arms or just hands where i am obviously sleeping on them funny. i wonder is this dangerous like would there be a chance of tissue death due to oxygen deficiency or something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Medical advice is not given out on boards. I have woken with slightly numb lower arms in the past having slept with the arm doubled up and under by body. I'm sure everyone does that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

I've heard of it OP and I don't think it is the same as what mike65 is talking about - occasional dead arm due to sleeping posture. What you have there should be discussed with your GP - I've heard of people getting a special wedge-shaped pillow to ensure the correct head/neck position while sleeping. Send me a PM if you'd like more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

now that i'm thinking about it i think its only from the wrists down and its due to the way i pull them under me. i might try and trin myself to sleep on my back. was making a mental note last nght and i seem to fold my arms to go asleep:eek: awkward or what:)

youu might be right too about the pillows i defo need something for my neck!! i'll check it out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You should go to a doctor if it happens often, just in case.

On a general level, the most dangerous thing about a dead $anything is that you're not aware of it and could hurt yourself because of this. That's why we have nerves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

I used to sometimes wake up with an arm or both arms numb and I have on occasion slammed my hand into my bedroom door trying to reach for the door handle.
    Sleeping on a crap old mattress? use alot of pillows? Overweight?
    I used to flip my mattress when ever both arms went numb after lying on my back but as for one arm only going numb it was always because I slept with alot of my weight on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

ive woken up a few times, where my entire arm has been completely numb,
    to the point where i cant even move it.
    its pretty much dead weight.

the oly way i get feelin back into it, is to drag it over from behind me, by kind of half rolling over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I get that from lying on my arm/hand and crush a nerve, i also get it when i read books in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I get that from lying on my arm/hand and crush a nerve, i also get it when i read books in bed.

same as gellert here, I get it regularly just from the position I sleep in and from lying on my arms and playing too much xbox.

Advertisement