Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late night cafes

Options
  • 13-11-2010 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere around cork i can get a cappochino at this hour of the night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Tribes on Tuckey St. Open till 3 or 4 a.m. as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Tribes on Tuckey St. Open till 3 or 4 a.m. as far as I know.

Its a nice spot.

I've never been myself, just know about it.

I'd like a few more late-opening cafés around but it's just not a thing here (Cork/Ireland). I'd love to see a big place open, on a corner somewhere in the city. Somewhere to go and do the Nighthawks thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

One open in macCurtain St some years ago. It was called the Pub with No Beer. Did'nt last very long even though it had good stuff, a lot healthier than some of the take-aways around. I think that says a lot for the irish palate, drink and fatty food.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Villette

It's annoying that there aren't more late opening cafes in Cork. Tribes is the only one that I am aware of. In most cities places like Costa would usually stay open to about 11 at least.
    I suppose there isn't a customer base for it? Cork has a small population and most people seem to consider evenings as strictly drunk-time. I would love to be able to meet friends somewhere that doesn't serve alcohol after 7 in the evening.
    I wish a Starbucks would come and stay open late - I'm not the biggest fan of Starbucks but they might at least take the chance to see if a demand might build up and they have the well-known brand image that might lure people in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭PSKdesign

I peronally don't think Cork has a customers base for night time coffee shops, they can not run a business at late hours only for two or three customers...

How late does the Starbucks at the airport stay open?

I just remembered, there used to be a place on Paul St. that would stay open till ten or so and serve coffee in little french presses. That place was great loads of space on the ground floor and a mezzanine too. They did food as well, they had things like pizza, soup, cakes -buffet style. Then it became Amicus and now the space is empty again.

The Gingerbread House! That's what it was called. That place was cool. Always seemed to have a steady flow of people going through, wonder why it went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Sorry for bumping an old thread but is there anywhere to go late at night now that Tribes is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

There's a café on McCurtain St. that stays open until about 11.30pm, I think. It's on the side closest to the city.

Gulpd in the Triskel is a café, but they turn into a sort-of-bar at night. The foyer there is kept like it is at daytime though, bright, a few tables, the music is low enough as they have no speakers out there, you can just hear what's being playing in the bar/café part. They do coffees and fancy teas until normal pub closing, and if anyone wants a beer they can have that too. It's definitely a café vibe out in the foyer though, if a bit sterile.

There's that pizza place on the Grand Parade too. It's tiny and has those booth style diner tables. I've never gone in there at night, but I know they serve coffee (pretty cheaply too) and I'd imagine they'd be quiet enough at night during pub opening hours, but busy after the pubs close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Buceph wrote: »
    There's a café on McCurtain St. that stays open until about 11.30pm, I think. It's on the side closest to the city.

Gulpd in the Triskel is a café, but they turn into a sort-of-bar at night. The foyer there is kept like it is at daytime though, bright, a few tables, the music is low enough as they have no speakers out there, you can just hear what's being playing in the bar/café part. They do coffees and fancy teas until normal pub closing, and if anyone wants a beer they can have that too. It's definitely a café vibe out in the foyer though, if a bit sterile.

There's that pizza place on the Grand Parade too. It's tiny and has those booth style diner tables. I've never gone in there at night, but I know they serve coffee (pretty cheaply too) and I'd imagine they'd be quiet enough at night during pub opening hours, but busy after the pubs close.

Espresso Cafe is on McCurtain Street.

Gulpd doesn't stay open later than 10 as far as I know.

Pizza d'Italia is on Grand Parade.

Regarding coffee, WebWorkHouse is 24 hours and they have a cafe attached at the front. I got a coffee there at 12 or 1 a few weeks ago (cappuccinos, latte's etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Dermighty wrote: »
    Gulpd doesn't stay open later than 10 as far as I know.

Maybe it's only the weekends then. Because I've definitely been in there at 11.30pm on a Friday and Saturday night.

Buceph wrote: »
    Maybe it's only the weekends then. Because I've definitely been in there at 11.30pm on a Friday and Saturday night.

You're probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Gulp'd is generally open past 11pm. They have to stay open for the cinema crowd anyway. Thurs to Sat they close past midnight. You can sit outside in the warmer weather too; it's quite nice in summer months (or should that be weeks?)

I think Café Gusto on Washington St. is open late too.

Fuzz McG wrote: »
    Gulp'd is generally open past 11pm. They have to stay open for the cinema crowd anyway. Thurs to Sat they close past midnight. You can sit outside in the warmer weather too; it's quite nice in summer months (or should that be weeks?)

I think Café Gusto on Washington St. is open late too.

I had no idea they opened that late.

Gusto is open until 10pm (last orders at 10pm anyway) on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Has anyone been to Cafe Spresso on McCurtain Street?

Irish/Polish food, seems very affordable and open till 11pm every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

Polish food is hearty tasty stuff, Pierogi (dumplings). borscht (beetroot soup) . Goulash.

And would also have things similar to old school Irish food, tripe, crubeens.

Advertisement