Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subject distance and perspective...

• 13-11-2010 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I just thought this would be useful info for the beginners among us. I think most beginners, myself included, often don't think about how our distance from the subject combined with focal length, affects compostion and perspective. The site below illustrates this very well.

http://www.photozone.de/focal-length-and-perspective

We often use a zoom to avoid walking towards or away from the subject not realizing that changing our distance from the subject and focal length has a dramatic effect on how much of the background is included in the shot.

Another article here

Hope someone finds that useful!

Noel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Kelly1 thanks for sharing ! Useful for me anyway... I'm trying to teach myself stuff all the time with sites just like that, but have been a bit lazy lately... so there you go, focal length, my next module :D.

edit : of course all to be dealt with on a vino-less night, that is, some other night ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

This is why I don't like the expression "zoom with your feet".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

charybdis wrote: »
    This is why I don't like the expression "zoom with your feet".

Why? Please explain. I use fixed lenses for all the beauty stuff I do and move around a lot. I use foot-zoom constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Yes, I think the whole point of my post was to illustrate that you need to zoom with your feet to get the right compositional perspective rather than rely on lens zoom.

The point is that perspective is controlled by one and only one thing: subject distance.

Not focal length. Not angle-of-view. Subject distance.

If you change the focal length of a zoom lens to achieve your desired framing without changing subject distance the perspective is the same.

If you change the distance between the camera and subject to achieve your desired framing the perspective is different.

Changing focal length and changing subject distance do two different things.

"Zoom with your feet" implies that moving relative to your subject is the same thing as changing focal length. It isn't. It's just a sufficiently catchy saying that superficially seems to make sense so people parrot it without understanding its shortcomings as a term (c.f.: "nifty fifty", "exposure triangle", "bokeh", "lower number means larger aperture", etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

charybdis wrote: »
    The point is that perspective is controlled by one and only one thing: subject distance.

snip

It's just a sufficiently catchy saying that superficially seems to make sense so people parrot it without understanding its shortcomings as a term (c.f.: "nifty fifty", "exposure triangle", "bokeh", "lower number means larger aperture", etc.).

You're criticising a catchy saying using a platitude :)

I am acutely aware of where I want to be relative to my subject on a fixed lens, I know at what distance a subject will look good and I know where they'll start looking not-so-good.

I suspect you don't use primes often.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Hugh_C wrote: »

Didn't we used to have a 'sitting back and eating popcorn' smiley ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Topgear (and similar) use the subject distance and perspective effect a lot
    Couldn;t get a link but this is the same idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Topgear (and similar) use the subject distance and perspective effect a lot
    Couldn;t get a link but this is the same idea

The 'reverse dolly zoom', used to great effect in Jaws, and for the first time AFAIK, apparently Stephen Spielberg invented it specifically for that shot in Jaws. Though this is anecdotal and probably untrue :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

They also use it in the pilot of BSG when the Galactica performs an FTL jump for the first time in decades.

• Advertisement

Hugh_C wrote: »

I am acutely aware of where I want to be relative to my subject on a fixed lens, I know at what distance a subject will look good and I know where they'll start looking not-so-good.

I use primes all the time. Every lens I've ever bought that didn't come with a camera is a prime lens.

If anything, one should be more aware of this when using primes.
    The 'reverse dolly zoom', used to great effect in Jaws

Here's a bunch:

Advertisement