Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how can i volunteer abroad (preferably africa/india) for free

• 13-11-2010 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

hi guys, i want to do voluntary work inside the next year.i am 19.
    i havent the money for these voluntary packages that cost thousands.
    I know i have to pay my flights, thats fine , but could i do 2-4 weeks volunteering, living off 50 euro a week. i'm going for very hard work not a holiday.do i need to have skills?
    can i do it on the prices above?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The best thing to do would be to first read the other threads here, especially the sticky at the top of the forum.
    And then maybe contact SUAS. They take young people like yourself away for the summer volunteering. You can organize it yourself but it's hard. Means a lot of Googling to find a place that will take someone with no qualifcations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

you could try the hope foundation, they do a lot of work in kolkata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

You want to work in Africa or India for a few weeks, right?

Problem is that there are plenty of people in Africa and India who would like to work too. It makes more sense for development NGOs to employ and train people locally for the long term rather than take someone from Europe in the short term.

www.icye.org does long term - i.e. at least six months - of volunteering in developing countries. Most of these programs are run at cost, so there isn't a huge payout for you. However they also run volunteering programs within Europe that are again very cheap - might not be the experience of a lifetime you're looking for, but might be more worthwhile.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Another option is to just get on a plane, land in Kolkata in India. Findyour way to Mother Teresa's Mother House. Register there to work as a volunteer and off you go. Could easily live in Kolkata on €50 a week. Might be a bit scary to go there on your own, but if you want the kind of collected at the airport service, you have to pay.

Advertisement