Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT infrastructure:hosted internal or out in the Cloud !?

Options
  • 13-11-2010 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Just making a follow-up from this thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68986068&postcount=17

CptSternn wrote: »
    You obviously haven't done this before mate.

First off, there are dozens of companies around the country that can get you a nice connection. Business connections are not home connections. If you ring around you will find Eircom, BT (their business unit still operates in ROI), Cable & Wireless, etc. all have nice big pipes available anywhere you need them.

Second, your concerns about the pipe going down and you losing money is unfounded. That why you have an SLA with your solutions provider. If the pipe goes down, you get paid. Think of it like insurance. It all goes into the services contract.

I am a consultant for a few solution providers in Ireland. I can tell you from experience, depending on the contract, if a server goes down or the internet connection stops even for a little while the company effected stands to get like €250,000 an hour until the issue is resolve. Granted this is on larger enterprise customers, but depending on the size of your business and the impact of downtime you will get money back to cover any losses due to downtime.

Sorry for getting involved here ,Senior !!

I'm probably a one of the old type guys that wants all running inside rather than outside,loving to hear the noise & clicks of the server beside him ! :)
    I'm also vendor neutral and i work for my client,not anybody else !

But according to your post,being a consultant for few solution sprovider,can you do a cost analysis from hosting all inside and hosting outside,in the cloud please !? Not exactly every piece of the system,but roughly...what and how much are we talking about !?

So,let me understand it:
    According to my requirements i will need:
    -file sharing,mostly Office standard,drawings in CAD format
    -email,Exchange a database for 70 users,size limitation at 2Gb each
    -antivirus hosted on a central server
    -printing on devices locally but installed on the servers for accountability of each printing job
    -internet access through a web appliance for monitoring/filtering/timing
    -small SQL database(max 4Gb) for finance/hr applications with a web gui/front end

Internal users:
    -maxim 50 desktops
    -maxim 70 users with IntelliMirror (roaming profiles and home directories stored on the server)
    -maxim 5 color printers a3/A4
    -maxim 2 DesignJets A0
    -few scanning/all-in-one devices in few departments with savings on the server and/or email smtp

Servers (physical /virtual):

2 x file servers
    1 x print server
    1 x antivirus server
    2 x exchange server
    1 x SQL server

So,does that makes sense ?!!
    What do i need in order to have NO IT infrastructure in place in my office ,except switching and routing !?

I can tell you how much is running cost or initial cost of the standard setup.
    Also,i found this site quite good in explaining what the cloud is all about:

PS
    the above scenario might not be a real quote request,but you may help some old guys to say bye-bye to "inside server noise and click" ! :)
    also,doesn't really have to be 110%,just an estimate for myself !

Regards...

Thanks in advance.

Are we ready for IT Cloud Computing Solution !? 5 votes

I'm using it and i found it viable !
    0%
    NO
    20%
    Boskonay 1 vote
    YES
    0%
    I don't trust 'outside' hosting.
    40%
    spartacus93rev2.0 2 votes
    We are looking to move in to Cloud Computing.
    40%
    techzod 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Boskonay

NO
    Where is the office location? Often a key determinant in terms of bradband availability

Advertisement