Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appliance payment issue

Options
  • 13-11-2010 6:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

Two months ago saw a range cooker at a very good price, explained my situation to the shop assistant:"I'm waiting for my house to be built, it'll be ready in about 9months and I dont have anywhere to store it until the house is ready. Whats the story with buying this cooker".

She said no problem at all just place a deposit on it now and pay the remaining balance with I was ready for delivery. I reiterated to her, it would be about 9 months, she confirmed no problem.
    She asked for a 20% deposit, which I paid and got my receipt.
    The cooker was then taken from the shop to be stored in the company's warehouse.

In the past 2 months I got 4-5 calls from the company(different person each time) asking when I'd be ready for delivery, approx 8 months I told them.
    Yesterday I got a call from the companys warehouse manager, telling me if I still wanted the cooker I had to pay for it in full now, in order for them to keep it for me for 8 months.

Now with businesses struggling to survive I am very wary of paying so much in advance, it also raises the question why has their stance changed?
    If at the very start they said full payment upfront, I would of said no thanks I'll wait till my house is ready.

Should I pay and hope everything is above board?
    Fight my corner and get them to honour the original deal.
    Or cut my losses and try and get my deposit back.

Your views and advise would be much appreciatied

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Get deposit back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

3DataModem wrote: »
    Get deposit back.
    Exactly...... simple as 3DataModem has said!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Is it written down anywhere that the shop agreed to delivery in 9 months and full payment will be made after the 9 months. If so then it forms part of the sales contract The shop would be in breach if they demand you accept delivery now and therefore you would be entitled to get your deposit back. If not then you may have an uphill battle, but hopefully not.

I must say, given the current economic climate it's very brave of you to place a deposit on an item and hope the business will still be there in 9 months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Sounds strange by the shop. I've never heard of a company making someone pay for it when you have a deposit down until you wanted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Munster_Munch

I agree 'greetings' it does seem abit strange, that's why I was thinking it may be best to get the deposit back.

I know 'slimjimmc' it was a risk putting a deposit so far in advance, it seemed with just the deposit it was worth taking, but with full payment too much to lose.

Thanks for your replies all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement