Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Few Simple Newb Questions

• 13-11-2010 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Im 22. And from the age of 15 I have tried driving (cars) and just cant get a taste for it. Its not for me at all. Lately transport (or my lack off I should say) is becomming an issue. I need to get myself sorted. Ive being thinking for a few weeks that since cars arent my thing maybe a motorbike would be.

Unlike a car, I really dont know anyone who has a motorbike. Is there anywhere I could go for a "spin" on one. I cant get official lessons until I get my theory and provisional.... but thats a whole lot of work to find out in the first 20 minutes that a motorbike isnt for me either.

So is there anywhere I could go to get an un-official lesson? Just so I can get a feel for it and see what Im getting myself into. (BTW Im in Dundalk)

Also what do you think my options are regarding bikes? What should I be looking for. Ive being doing a bit of reading over the past week and I have my own ideas- I just dont trust them :( Im on a budget of about 5000 for everything- (bike, helmet, protective gear etc) so yeh... second hand all the way.

I only want the bike to me get from A to B. So it doesnt have to do a bazillion miles an hour or have anything fancy. Though in saying that Id like to get a proper bike- not one of those mopeds.

Lastly. I have no chance of making it before these mandatory lessons in December do I? I mean I havent got my theory or provisional :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I really don't understand what you mean by not being able to "get a taste for" driving cars. Learning to drive requires months of persistence just to become competent let alone proficient.

Assuming there's a level of not-being-bothered about motoring generally, the last thing you should do is start on bikes IMO. The risk of calamity is just so much greater and if you aren't passionate about them enough to put the hard work in, like most bikers are, they will almost certainly bite you in the backside. That's before all the other issues of safety/ hardship from weather kick in.

The suggestion I would make to you is try to find someone to take you as a pillion to begin with. If that doesn't float your boat, you're probably barking up the wrong tree. If you have an epiphany, then welcome to the club. Get the TT asap. I think you should still have time if you apply straight away and work very hard.

I think you should

Also, for your 5k you will get a dinger of a used bike and gear/ insurance etc. Get your spin, apply for the TT, arrange for an appropriate amount of training on a school bike, in the meantime, start trawling the net and calling to shops to find the kinds of bikes you like and then suss out insurance. Wait until you have the bike to choose your gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

THanks for the reply. Emm I cant explain it, driving cars really just doesnt appeal to me. I have tried it 100's of times. Everything from automatics to manuals, old bangers to the auld lassys beamer..... :confused::confused:

So pretty much unless Im willing to become a bike enthusaist its not worth it? Is that what your saying?

I dont think I would be a bike enthusiast, it appeals to me all right, a lot more than a car. But I dont see myself as a hardcore biker. I just mainly want it to get around and not be relying on buses all the time :(

Ahh well guess its back to the old cars then. THanks for the advice anyway. Appreciate it :):)

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying you can't afford to be devil-may-care about it. I've only been biking for just the last couple of years and I know I would have been at a disadvantage if I wasn't a car enthusiast. I knew feck all about bikes before I got them.

Apply for the theory test (soon), get someone to carry you as a pillion and see how far you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

You will find it hard to find anyone that will give you a go on their bike with no experience/licence.

What bike to look for depends on what your looking for, If its just for a handy run around and your not that into biking have a look at getting a 125 or bigger scooter. Has more space for luggage and easy to drive.

If you are thinking of getting a bike licence do it soon because compulsory training is coming in soon(someone will know the exact date.) and then it will be even more hassle. Having said that make sure you do some training when starting out, it makes a huge difference.
    You don't need to be a bike enthusiast loads of people have bikes just for commuting/running around. Don't be surprised if you become one though :)

5k should be enough to get a decent second hand bike or scooter, insurance, some gear and training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

125 or bigger scooter

I probably should have said, but some of the journeys will be from Dundalk to Dublin. So I dont know if a scooter would be up to it :confused:

The chap who put the idea of bikes in my head (hes not a bike expert by any means) but he recommended a kawasaki ninja 250. He said its a good beginner bike and so long as I look after it it should last for a few years. Which is exactly what Im after. Also on the plus side I see some relatively cheap ones online.

Im trying not to be impulsive here. But I do need transport...fast, and that deadline on the 6th of december isnt getting any further away. Ive weighed up all the pros and cons and Im going to take my chances with a bike. Im just back from the shop. Ive got my theory book. Im going to book my theory tomorrow and luckily for me, yesterday was the first day of a weeks holidays. So I reckon if I spend the full week studying my ass off I have a chance of getting in before this deadline.

BTW: I should have being more clear. The 5 grand is for the bike and the equipment- not the insurance. So thats 5 grand for a bike, safety gear and some lessons.

Hopefully in the comming few months/next year I might bump into some of ye on the road :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Gerry.L wrote: »
    Hopefully in the comming few months/next year I might bump into some of ye on the road :D:D
    Lesson one: Try not to bump into anything:D

Good luck OP. You'll love it, don't think I've met anyone whos tried bikes that doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Well done good luck with it.

The bigger scooters (250/400) would be well able for that commute.

The 250 ninja is ok but also have a look at some bigger bikes like Suzuki GS500, SV600/650, Kawasaki ER5/ER6. I'm sure others will have better suggestions in a minute

Advertisement