Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa v Manchester United Match Thread 13/11/10

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

*runs from thread*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Archimedes wrote: »
    I just find it hilarious that the "talking point" of this game from ABUs will be Vidic not getting sent off.

I was disappointed you were complaining about that instead of typing BOOM! when he scored :(

Why would I do that? It wouldn't be in line with my ABU persona.

The talking points from the game will be Villa bottling the win and the apparent 'Big Four' bias when it comes to crucial decisions. Hardly anything out of left field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mister men wrote: »
    Bad result overall for united. Dropping points like no mans business this season. Villa and the ref should be ashamed.

a point away to Villa is never a 'bad' result, just a mediocre one.

they're still second, so they must be doing ok ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Another poor performance from Utd, So many poor performers out there. Although Nani crossed for the equaliser I thought he was piss poor. Carrick gave the ball away too much, i think he struggles in a 4 man midfield. Chicho didn't have a good day, both full backs where poor.

When there is no Giggs and Scholes to call upon we really are lacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Drumpot wrote: »
    Anybody else find it hilarious when Sky build up cricket ?

Gladiators me ass . .

I mean look at the size of the cup ! !

_42363231_ozashesthis300.jpg

Thats an urn, not a cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why would I do that? It wouldn't be in line with my ABU persona.

The talking points from the game will be Villa bottling the win and the apparent 'Big Four' bias when it comes to crucial decisions. Hardly anything out of left field.

Well, as it was said earlier in the month....

It must be fúcking awful being an ABU :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

The only good point after this game is the pictures i imagine of the anti united brigade around here crying and moaning at their computers:D

Well done villa for a good performance, there's some great young players on the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hernandez - could/should have been sent off
    Nani - could/should have been sent off
    Brown - could/should have been sent off

Yet not one was. And United fans still think the refs are fair.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Good performance from Villa. A tough result for them to take but they've got a few players with bright futures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Mister men wrote: »
    Bad result overall for united. Dropping points like no mans business this season. Villa and the ref should be ashamed.

Villa should be ashamed? :eek:

They left their hearts out on that pitch and with plenty of big players missing played with more self belief than most 1st teams against United. From a United fan, they were HUGELY unlucky not to hammer us.

Disappointed? Yes. Ashamed? Get out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :confused: Who said it wasn't a great comeback? All that was said is that United shouldn't have finished with eleven men.

No need to be so defensive looking for comments that aren't there.

Completely agree, No way should they have finished with 11 ,

Brown - Last man , should of went , no ifs or buts

Vidic- Young got booked for his celebration and so should of Vidic got his second yellow

Nani- Went in with definite intent to do the man(had 3 looks to see where he was first) , caught him but still only got a yellow, should of been a straight red.

All in all great comeback from Man U, but Villa were by far the better team and its not for the first time this season Man U have looked very poor for the most part of the game and still come out with something , hopefully chelsea kick on tomorrow and take the 6 point lead because we have a very difficult xmas period

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Dont care what team you play with...... Getting booked for celebrating with the crowd is the daftest "rule" in football.

I agree completly but you cant book Young and not book Vidic. I think what everyone wants is consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

mike65 wrote: »
    Thats an urn, not a cup.

Even as an Urn its totally underwhelming . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I thought that you had to actually go into the stands to get a booking. Which is why I didnt think Vidic was booked. That said, i'm never sure about that rule, and its a stupid rule in a way, and to send a player off for it just shows a lack of cop on by the ref, which he didn't do. I'd praise the ref for ignoring the rules, irrespective of it being United or Villa.

Great comeback. **** result. Awful awful performance. Berbatov was ****ing dire. Carrick reverted to self. Evra is clearly carrying an injury. Brown really shouldnt have given that peno away. We really had no invention up front.
    Park remains a mystery for me, but some games I watch him and he's just got noa ttacking guile whatsoever, and other games he does great. I think he needs space for his movement to give him teh advantage, and there was no space today.

Obertan and Macheda did great when they came on.

Nani did well enough in the last 20 minutes, but **** me, his corners today really left an awful lot to be desired. Desperately wanted Gibbo on just so he could take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

THFC wrote: »
    Hernandez - could/should have been sent off
    Nani - could/should have been sent off
    Brown - could/should have been sent off

Yet not one was. And United fans still think the refs are fair.:rolleyes:
    Sorry, add Vidic to that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

GetOutOfJailFreeCard.jpg

Phew, piss poor performance bar the last 15-20 minutes. Great comeback though.

Very worrying how blunt we look in attack lately. Really really need Rooney to comeback all guns blazing next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That was like the United of old in the last 15 minutes ,high intensity and tempo ,getting players into the box from midfield ,and swamping Villa.
    What preceded for the first 80 minutes was what has become all too familiar over the last few seasons.
    Sitting back cautiously and an over reluctance to get players forward for fear of conceding and a lazy attitude of doing just enough to scrape a win.
    Far too negative and cautious.
    Whether its Fergies tactics to play that cautiously or the players themselves I'm not 100% sure (most likely Ferguson )
    United should be going out to put weaker teams to the sword not relying on scrapping a win through an act of brilliance from one player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

SlickRic wrote: »
    a point away to Villa is never a 'bad' result, just a mediocre one.

they're still second, so they must be doing ok ;)

Pretty sure United have a great record at Villa Park. A point for them there is a bad result IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Pretty sure United have a great record at Villa Park. A point for them there is a bad result IMO.
    Not after being 2-0 down with 20 minutes to go though tbf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Degag wrote: »
    Did Vidic actually go into the crowd like Young though?
    Yes, did you watch the game?
    So is Vidic not getting sent off the reason Villa threw this away? Have we established that's the reason why United got something out of this game? I'd hate to think it was because Villa bottled it and United showed great fight. That wouldn't be bitter enough for me.

Salt and vinegar on that chip?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

PHB wrote: »
    I thought that you had to actually go into the stands to get a booking. Which is why I didnt think Vidic was booked. That said, i'm never sure about that rule, and its a stupid rule in a way, and to send a player off for it just shows a lack of cop on by the ref, which he didn't do. I'd praise the ref for ignoring the rules, irrespective of it being United or Villa.

Great comeback. **** result. Awful awful performance. Berbatov was ****ing dire. Carrick reverted to self. Evra is clearly carrying an injury. Brown really shouldnt have given that peno away. We really had no invention up front.
    Park remains a mystery for me, but some games I watch him and he's just got noa ttacking guile whatsoever, and other games he does great. I think he needs space for his movement to give him teh advantage, and there was no space today.

Obertan and Macheda did great when they came on.

Nani did well enough in the last 20 minutes, but **** me, his corners today really left an awful lot to be desired. Desperately wanted Gibbo on just so he could take them.

Fair enough call on Vidic , the 4th official said he was pushed in by his team mates.

Stupid rule anyway

At least the official explained why Vidic wasnt booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

4th official with some rubbish about he being pushed into the crowd. Big team bias more evident than ever. They are even coming up with silly reasons why they have not booked someone after a quick look at the coverage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

If anything Brown should have been booked for sheer stupidity in pushing Vidic into the crowd.

fullstop wrote: »
    Salt and vinegar on that chip?

Chips with that pint of bitter?

4th official with some rubbish about he being pushed into the crowd. Big team bias more evident than ever. They are even coming up with silly reasons why they have not booked someone after a quick look at the coverage :)

Was he interviewed on Sky? Switched over to the rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

There is no way Vidic went in the same as Young. Usual ****e from Richard Keys trying to stir something and get a bit of a headline going

Looking at it again , well he stopped well before the crowd and the momentum of the lads behind him brought him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

thank you aston villa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Yes, did you watch the game?

Yes i watched the game, i didn't pay that much attention to the goal celebrations though - perhaps because i was too busy jumping around the place myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

4th official with some rubbish about he being pushed into the crowd.

Vidic stopped before he got to the fans though.

Young went right in to the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Great great come back from United. Typical Ferguson team type of effort at the end. It's weird how predictable it is. I don't even expect anything other than the game to change completely in the last ten minutes when United need something.

But the comeback doesn't makeup for the crappy result and the overall poor performance. The same old story, our midfield can't hack it without Scholes. We struggled to string 5 passes together all day in the midfield. Fletcher and Carrick as a pair is not good enough. I'm bored of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

shano_88 wrote: »
    I agree completly but you cant book Young and not book Vidic. I think what everyone wants is consistency.

I also agree... I just dont think anyone should be booked for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Its funny, I watch all united games and more often then not there are one or two games in a season where bad decisions like this go Uniteds way and go against them . .

The biggest differance is that when it goes against United its simply passed off as Karma and ignored. When it goes for United its used as fodder to highlight how united ALWAYS get the decisions. I dont remember people complaining when chelsea had the ref in their pocket in the United v Chelsea game at stamford bridge. It was worse then todays game by a mile and ultimately was a 6 point shift as united were denied a clear peno, rooney through called offside for nothing and chelseas goal was wrong in every way. .

In more cases then most, top teams do get more dodgy decisions and while most people (even ABU's) awknowledge this, it doesnt stop them from ranting at United more then most for what they already know is an unfair but common anomaly to top teams in football throughout the world..

Had ABU's not the red card debates to moan about it would of been the 5mins of injury time that would of been made 'fergie time', despite the fact that Villa were also capable of scoring in that time ! ! The ref actually clarified why Vidic was sent off, but that wont make a differance. There will always be something to moan about as an ABU . .

Looking at it again , well he stopped well before the crowd and the momentum of the lads behind him brought him in.

Exactly. As opposed to having to jump little railings to got up into tho crowd. Not that I agree with the rule in the first place. Dumbest rule along with the top removal one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Drumpot wrote: »
    That said, its sad to think that players could get their marching orders for celebrating a goal. . Actually its pathetic . .

surely then its as bad that they can be booked for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Big teams have been getting kind tratment for years form the refs. United are the biggest beneficiaries, so I dont really know why anyone is surprised.

Chips with that pint of bitter?

:rolleyes: why would I be bitter? I already said Villa bottled it before your original ABU brigade rubbish. And FYI I'm not ABU, I support Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Its actually laughable the debate going on here bout Vidic stopping or not before been pushed into the crowd...or being booked for it etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

:rolleyes: why would I be bitter? I already said Villa bottled it before your original ABU brigade rubbish. And FYI I'm not ABU, I support Villa.

I hope you can at least realise that villa gave united more of a game than spurs,liverpool and man city and not end up with bitteritis like their supporters. Disappointing end result for ye but you must be happy with the performance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

http://www.livescore.com/default.dll/game?comp=england1&game=415849

vidic was booked once and after the goal,not for dissent in 73rd minute

Helix wrote: »
    surely then its as bad that they can be booked for it?

Id say it's safe to say this,

Find me a football fan that supports the rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

dahat wrote: »
    http://www.livescore.com/default.dll/game?comp=england1&game=415849

vidic was booked for the celebration and not for dissent

No, they announced on the commentary after villas first that vida had been booked, they said presumably for his protestation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Haven't followed the thread so id say its already been said but, IMO Utd were very very lucky to get anything out of the game, they didn't deserve the point! They could very easily have been down to 9 men (one of them set up utd's second goal) i have seen reds givin for similar tackles countless times before, esepecailly Nani's BLATENT elbow, he had no intention of going for the ball, he looked 3 times then threw his elbows and arms at his face deliberitly, according to the law of the game thats a red card! and wes browns tackle is more a yellow than a red but again i have seen them given!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Id say it's safe to say this,

Find me a football fan that supports the rule.

Running into the crowd and being booked is retarded i agree. What really annoys me though is players taking their shirt off after scoring, especially those who have messages pre-written so its pre-meditated. They know they are going to get booked yet still do it. Its so stupid imo whatever about the rule being there.

Exhibit A: Ashley Young immerses himself in the fans of his own free will. A booking, but being 1-0 up over the renowned Man Utd, he'll take it. Thems the rules and all.

youngo.jpg

Exhibit B: Nemanja Vidic equalises after Villa bottle it against United yet again. Being the wiley pro that he is and having observed Ashley Young's blatant disregard for the rules of the game we love, he stops short of celebrating in the crowd. But Wes Brown in his delight jumps on Vidic's back and forces him into the crowd. Even Macheda is giving a helping hand, over come by delight. All it takes is Rio Ferdinand's trademark "you got merk'd son" shoulder crunch and even a man mountain like Vidic can't stop the forward momentum.

vidicb.jpg

In the end, the correct decision.

I for one applaud the referee for showing great awareness in this situation. Refreshing to see.

The bitterness in here, however, is far from refreshing.

I hope you can at least realise that villa gave united more of a game than spurs,liverpool and man city and not end up with bitteritis like their supporters. Disappointing end result for ye but you must be happy with the performance?

It was a great perfomance from Villa, especially in the second half...they destroyed United for most of it. We were missing Clark, Ireland, Petrov, Heskey/Carew as well so I wasn't expecting anything from the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You work hard at being annoying Archimedes I'll give you that!

JPA wrote: »
    You work hard at being annoying Archimedes I'll give you that!

Natural ability my good man, natural ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Mr Alan wrote: »

from most recent backwards, uniteds last few league results against villa:

draw, 2-2 (villa park)
    draw, 1-1 (villa park)
    villa win, 0-1 (old trafford)
    united win, 3-2 (old trafford)
    draw, 0-0 (villa park)

arguably, villa shouldve won every single one of those too

• Advertisement
Advertisement