Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Pudding

Options
  • 13-11-2010 11:36am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it's that time of year again and I'm about to embark on making pudding again. My aunt used to make the puds for us but sadly, she is no longer with us and I don't have her recipe. Where can I get a good recipe? She used to make the lovely rich dark puddings, a lot of the recipes I've found have pics of a light brown pudding :eek: Delia's one is a nice dark brown so will probably go with that but can anyone recommend any others? All recipes seem to be very similar anyway so it probably doesn't actually matter. Some pudding experts probably know better than me though! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

The best advice i can give you if you go with Delia's or any traditional recipe is use real suet. Atora make a vegetable based one but it doesnt hold a candle to the real thing.

Ring your local butcher and ask him to shred some for you. It makes it really moist. Yes, it looks mad when your making it but trust me on it. Vegetarians will cringe at the thoughts of it, sorry.

Recipe i used had 10 kilos of fruit so i wont post it, but i hadint used the real suet in years, until this year, and they are way ahead in taste and looks colour wise. Best of luck making them. Makes it so much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I'm no expert, but I have tried two. My mother in laws recipe from the
    Farmers Journal in 1968 and Neven Maguires. I prefer the Farmers
    Journal one, but it is lighter in colour and texture.
    Neven Maguires is a traditional dark, dense pudding.

My mother reckons that an oven cooked pudding will be darker
    than an hob cooked one.

http://www.nevenmaguire.com/special-plum-pudding.aspx

If I get a chance, I'll type in the Farmers Journal one.

Advertisement