Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O Brolcháin hates us

Options
  • 13-11-2010 12:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

probably only me really :)

http://www.kildarestreet.com/sendebates/?id=2010-11-10.126.0&s=politics.ie#g156.0
    Another phenomenon is that of group think on websites such as www.politics.ie where many people who are wound up to 90 are writing all types of vitriolic things. Those involved are purporting to be people representing society. However bad our public broadcaster is, sites such as www.boards.ie or www.politics.ie are creating hysteria in terms of their content in regard to how bad things are and how badly people are being hammered. That is not good for mental health.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

He's right, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Those involved are purporting to be people representing society.

Coming from the man rejected again and again by the people, only getting a position thanks to his crony friends in FF. Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I hate you too Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Ha ha.
    obrolchain.jpg

We're still laughing at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    probably only me really :)

http://www.kildarestreet.com/sendebates/?id=2010-11-10.126.0&s=politics.ie#g156.0

Another phenomenon is that of group think on websites such as www.politics.ie where many people who are wound up to 90 are writing all types of vitriolic things. Those involved are purporting to be people representing society. However bad our public broadcaster is, sites such as www.boards.ie or www.politics.ie are creating hysteria in terms of their content in regard to how bad things are and how badly people are being hammered. That is not good for mental health.

I think anyone that votes for the greens should have their mental health checked, Mr O Brolcháin.
    You weren't even voted in, that's the biggest joke of the lot.

They would have the media and internet like China if they could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

mikom wrote: »
    They would have the media and internet like China if they could.
    Where is censorship implied? There are people for whom "t'Internets" is distilled and filtered through their tellyviewers.
    If Jack A. and Jill B.'s flamewar (with trolls fanning the flames) ends up in the headlines painted as an epic coherent debate, it can have a much wider impact as it is given more cachet by being broadcast.
    This results in itself becoming pubtalk and it just repeats.
    Think Chinese whispers written on a Moebius strip :)

Personally, I think we've passed the social normalisation response to the internet and the implications of this wave of connectivity.
    As it's just another part of life it has a far wider audience now.
    The glamourisation of the internet's pubtalk needs to be kept in check, through attitudes and common sense rather than being an eejit and censoring stuff.
    Quotes are easy to cherry pick, but context is everything.

That said, coverage of the Boards.ie Debates is always good to see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

He was very much behind the governments social media experiment , www.merrionstreet.ie , where they could do pretend interviews with their own press officers and share it on facebook and twitter and stuff. A totally crap idea TBH.

He even hosted an evening on the' relationship' between politics and media a few months back (meaning the ones who publish his dreary press releases with a quick copy and paste) but he is completely afraid of discussion forums where he cannot stop us pressing that submit button.

Of course that means that he never annoyed us with his prattle around here, thankfully :)

As for his genius idea to publish Spin and BS on merrionstreet.ie , now the 8,525th Most Popular Website in Ireland :D, see the alexa stats below. The blue stain at the bottom is his propoganda website.

graph?&w=400&h=220&o=f&c=1&y=r&b=ffffff&n=666666&r=6m&u=merrionstreet.ie&&u=politics.ie&u=boards.ie&

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

So boards.ie is bad for your "mental health". Tell us something we didn't know Niall :D

I'm so sick of politicians like this . We have had Bertie Ahern on the radio several times dismissing those ringing in with terribly stories of how the recession has affected them as "arragh these people aren't representative of the public...they're just whingers who ring into the radio". Now we have Niall telling us that people using forum sites aren't representative.

Where exactly is this elusive voiceless majority that makes up the true public ? Are they living in an parallel existence that can be only accessed through Brian Cowens wardrobe? These politicians would really want to take their heads out of their asses and come back from Narnia because they sure as hell aren't representing us here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I met with NOB on two occasions regarding the Dog Breeding Bill. As an animal welfare supporter I welcomed this aspect of the Greens. After the meetings it became obvious that NOB was hopeless. He didn't listen, he asked for information & then didn't read it, & he gave out meaningless platitudes. The Greens did not have a clue & as a result we have ended up with some pretty useless legislation.

I do not feel betrayed by FF, after all we know what they are like, but the Greens are far worse. How can a man who has helped to keep a corrupt government in power & denied bi elections speak of democracy.

If the majority on Boards or any other forums agreed with NOB then we would be loved. Political parties hate the idea of people thinking for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Dear Niall, bite me.

That is all.

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Dear Niall, you and your party are bad for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Internet discussion sites do give a voice to some quite disturbed people that they otherwise mightn't have, but this is in the vast minority, albeit a vocal minority. Many of our policy ideas came from online discussions, and I've yet to see anyone poke a hole in them, online or offline. I've had a good chat with NOB myself, and he comes across as reasonably genuine (also the only politician I noticed with the guts to go door to door during the last elections), but he's out of his depth here I think.

I'd move this to politics tbh.

Edit: never mind, already a thread on it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you think there is a higher proportion of disturbed people on boards than on Joe Duffy?

I must admit, I've never listened to Joe. But I've heard others from the genre, and can take a pretty good guess about who he gets as caller number 3 et al.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This forum is not exactly disturbed...by any stretch and by even the most febrile of imaginations.....and nor does it display any evidence of groupthink beyond the seeming necessity of organising periodic 'beers' and serial outbreaks of deliberate misspelling of the word "funny" . I, of course, entirely absolve myself of any blame for those particular deviances :p

The senator must have known that his government had completely blown the economy by the time he was offered his senate gig in November 2009 and yet he blithely took his place at the centre of the most hated government since the coalition of the 1970s ...arrogantly ignoring the message from his electors in the western part of the city that he should simply piss off. If he didn't know then he has no business pretending to help run a country.

He joined such eminent property speculators as FF Senator Donie Cassidy who is stuck with a ghost estate in Mullingar and who has not troubled the companies office with company accounts for the development company behind that estate since the 2007 books were submitted. There is the good Senator Francie from Monaghan who was at the wrong end of this €13m judgement last month along with his mate Michael Fingleton.

He snuggles up beside FF Senators Larry Butler , Ivor Callelly and Ann Ormonde and Labhrás O Murchú who have been caught or admitted to fiddled their expenses

O Brolcháin unquestioningly votes straight down the line with these people, and then he accuses us of groupthink, dubious regard for mental health, vitriol and hysteria .....and of being wound up to 90.

How dare he, given the company he keeps. We will apparently owe this person a pension by November 2011. It would be a travesty were he ever to get one :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Niall, I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

Advertisement