Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legacy ATI Drivers

Options
  • 13-11-2010 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Attempting to re-install a Fire GL V3100(dont ask:rolleyes:) but having trouble with the installer. Every time I go to run it it extracts fine but as soon as the ATI splash appears the whole machine hangs. Have sourced the driver from Dell and AMD/ATI but both have the same problem.

The box was working fine until yesterday when I wiped the drive. Subsequently, I think an older version of the driver might just work. As you know though, searching for drivers churns up so much cr@p. If anyone knows any sites that would have older revisions of the driver I'd greatly appreciate the link.

Thanks
    Lethal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Run the installer through command line ignoring the GUI. Its becoming a fairly common problem with ATI drivers. Good old .net.
    Install/Un-install procedure for CCC @ command prompt environment:

Un-install ATI driver
    ==============

@ command prompt execute the following instructions
    Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista64_win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\BIN64 for 64 bit OS
    Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista32_ win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\BIN for 32 bit OS

Type the command “atisetup.exe –uninstall”

This will remove the current or older ATI driver on your PC. Wait for the process to complete.

The Font will get big as the OS will revert to default VGA driver. This is expected or normal just as when installing windows for the 1st time.

Reboot your machine after the completion of the process

Install ATI driver
    ============

@ command prompt execute the following instructions
    Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista64_win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\BIN64 for 64 bit OS
    Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista32_ win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\BIN for 32 bit OS

Type the command “atisetup.exe –install – output screen”

This will install thew ATI driver on your PC. You will see DOTS on the command prompt terminal. Wait for the process to complete.

When done the ATI CCC installation log will come-up to detail the installation summary.

Reboot your machine

Configure your graphic settings when you log in.

Notes:

1) @ command prompt type ”ATIsetup.exe -?” it will give you the list options for the ATIsetup.exe installation program

2) 9-Rev is whatever revision of ATI driver you are using (i.e. 9-10).
    - Show quoted text -

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Gah! That would have been sooo useful during the Win7 beta back when it kept puking on .NET!!! :o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Solitaire wrote: »
    Gah! That would have been sooo useful during the Win7 beta back when it kept puking on .NET!!! :o:p

I had the problem with my home machine and fixed the actual cause. This is just a work around. I could fill about twenty posts with how to fix it if I had a spare weekend to go back over my tracks and remember exactly what I did that day. It boiled down to particular installer files looking for a specific .net file version, not finding it, trying to update them and crapping out. I thought it was a rare occurrence, but since then I have seen multiple forums posts and have seen it happen en-masse within my own company.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Run the installer through command line ignoring the GUI. Its becoming a fairly common problem with ATI drivers. Good old .net.

Cheers Cuddlesworth, will try that later when I get in.

Advertisement