Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glasnevin cemetery cleanup issue

Options
  • 13-11-2010 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have been told that everything that has been put on the graves are getting taken away. (thrown out). i.e. ornaments, flower pots, surroundings. EVERYTHING!!! A friend of mine told me he went to see his father's grave and all that was there was clay and the head stone of course. all sentimental things that were put there by sons, daughters, grandsons and grandaughters are all gone. Surely the people who took these things away should have notified us so we can go there and take them away as keepsakes? Im really angry at this. Can they do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes you should have been informed but I'm sad to say that most graveyards these days look like junkyards with all the crappy sentimental ornaments that people leave over some graves, it is a practice by the way started by travellers and seems to have been taken up in the past few years by a lot of people.

I go to my home town each August on a Sunday for a Mass in the local cemetery where members of my family are buried. Over the past few years the number of these ornaments left lying on graves has mushroomed and it does nothing for the appearance of the cemetery, makes it look more the Late Late Toy Show to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes you should have been informed but I'm sad to say that most graveyards these days look like junkyards with all the crappy sentimental ornaments that people leave over some graves, it is a practice by the way started by travellers and seems to have been taken up in the past few years by a lot of people.

I go to my home town each August on a Sunday for a Mass in the local cemetery where members of my family are buried. Over the past few years the number of these ornaments left lying on graves has mushroomed and it does nothing for the appearance of the cemetery, makes it look more the Late Late Toy Show to be honest.

Bit harsh. What people choose to put on a loved one's grave is up to them. It's not up to anyone else to judge how someone else mourns, no matter how distasteful someone might find such things.

OP, I really wouldn't know the policy on this and I'm wracking my brains trying to think where you might get some information. Perhaps it might be worth contacting the local council or a local undertaker to see if they could point you in the right direction for info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They've been doing this in some parts of the cemetery since 2009.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0629/1224249726738.html

Advertisement