Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question - urgent!

• 13-11-2010 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

I posted here the other day to say my partner and I were looking for a puppy. We have everything we need and were just waiting for the right one. Well the right one just turned up and we're thinking of getting it. The thing is the owner has an elastic band on its tail to dock it but we don't want a docked tail. I don't want any opinions on docking, I just want to know can we take the elastic band off and continue without docking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

in all fairness i dont think this is the right pup for you. if he is docking and you want a pup with a tail, i would look else where. how long has the band been on tail? id say if its been on a day or 2 id say the blood supply has been stopped so id say the damage has been done. But ive never came across this so id say best bet would be to ask a vet. Would the breeder remove if asked?Actually no i think the best thing is to look for another pup with tail. What breed are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

The practice of putting an elastic band on the dog tail qualifies as animal cruelty as is very painfull for the animal. You should report this person and absolutely you should not buy a pup off him.
    Try to put an elastic band around your finger until it falls off and try the feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

ergonomics wrote: »
    I just want to know can we take the elastic band off and continue without docking?

It would depend on how long the band had been on for, if the circulation hasn't been hindered for too long the tail should be fine if you remove the band, however if it has been on for a long period of time the cells and nerve endings in the tail will have died and therefore can't be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

This makes me fcukin sick, what i'd give to tie an elastic band round the breeder's neck

Advertisement