Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel warning for Man Utd in January

Options
  • 13-11-2010 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

For anyone doing a day trip in January for the United game:

There is no mention of this on the Stansted Express website, but the train operator National Express have mention of work taking place on Sunday 16th January which will mean services to Stansted after the game will only run to Bishops Stortford where a bus replacement service will operate onwards to the airport.

It was always going to be tight making it back after the game, this might make it un-doable.

Worth checking anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

For anyone doing a day trip in January for the United game:

There is no mention of this on the Stansted Express website, but the train operator National Express have mention of work taking place on Sunday 16th January which will mean services to Stansted after the game will only run to Bishops Stortford where a bus replacement service will operate onwards to the airport.

It was always going to be tight making it back after the game, this might make it un-doable.

Worth checking anyway.

Just had a quick look Ro as I had already booked the flights and should be ok. Will be a rush to Hale and may want to go before final whistle but

There are trains dept hale to bishops stortford with connecting bus to stansted at following times.

dept hale
    17.52 18.07 18.22
    arr stans
    18:40 19.01 19.10

worse case will defo make the 18.22 and that will get me to stansted on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mullo76 wrote: »
    Just had a quick look Ro as I had already booked the flights and should be ok. Will be a rush to Hale and may want to go before final whistle but

There are trains dept hale to bishops stortford with connecting bus to stansted at following times.

dept hale
    17.52 18.07 18.22
    arr stans
    18:40 19.01 19.10

worse case will defo make the 18.22 and that will get me to stansted on time.

Don't forget its a 4:10 kickoff Mark, not 4pm. If I do go it will be in/out of Gatwick I think, 9:55 last flight home.

Don't forget its a 4:10 kickoff Mark, not 4pm. If I do go it will be in/out of Gatwick I think, 9:55 last flight home.

fair point Ro, thought it was a 4. The flights are booked now so if need be will have to leave few mins early. If I had copped first I would have booked gatwick.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pduff13

Think am going to head to this one. How long will it take to get to Gatwick? Would it mean heading to liverpool street first from WHL station and then getting bus to Gatwick?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

pduff13 wrote: »
    How long will it take to get to Gatwick? Would it mean heading to liverpool street first from WHL station and then getting bus to Gatwick?

Get the main line rail from White Hart Lane to Seven Sisters station (two stops); Victoria underground from there to Victoria Station and then the Gatwick Express (they use the name "Express" as a sort of a joke). As long as you can get onto a train at WHL quickly enough, it should take you less than 90 minutes to get to Gatwick.

• Advertisement

richardjjd wrote: »
    Get the main line rail from White Hart Lane to Seven Sisters station (two stops); Victoria underground from there to Victoria Station and then the Gatwick Express (they use the name "Express" as a sort of a joke). As long as you can get onto a train at WHL quickly enough, it should take you less than 90 minutes to get to Gatwick.

Failing that walk to Tottenham Hale after the game, get the Vic Line from there to Victoria (and you'll get a seat unlike all the punters getting on at Seven Sisters...;)) then follow Richard's directions after that.

Failing that walk to Tottenham Hale after the game, get the Vic Line from there to Victoria (and you'll get a seat unlike all the punters getting on at Seven Sisters...;)) then follow Richard's directions after that.

And have a look at the timetable for the normal service to gatwick from Vic too. Takes about 4/5 mins longer than express and last time it cost me £3.50 v about £16 on the express. Think I used southern railways.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭donspur

looks like its going to be tight to get back to the airport after this game might have to leave early, what is everyone else going to do if there going on the day trip

donspur wrote: »
    looks like its going to be tight to get back to the airport after this game might have to leave early, what is everyone else going to do if there going on the day trip

in and out of stansted

Trains leaving Hale for airport at 18.22 and 18.40 get to bishops stortford at 18.45 and 19.12, will either get a connecting bus to airport or a taxi. Its only about 10 mins from Bishops S.

train is £10.40 ret and a taxi about 15 (will split this between four of us)

If you get the express ticket for the 18.22 train has a connecting bus service to stansted arriving at 19.10 it will cost £27.60 - the 18.40 has no connecting bus.

Think will defo be in Hale for the 18.22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

This is the way to go and avoid the queing at WHL for the overground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭donspur

in and out of stansted

Trains leaving Hale for airport at 18.22 and 18.40 get to bishops stortford at 18.45 and 19.12, will either get a connecting bus to airport or a taxi. Its only about 10 mins from Bishops S.

train is £10.40 ret and a taxi about 15 (will split this between four of us)

If you get the express ticket for the 18.22 train has a connecting bus service to stansted arriving at 19.10 it will cost £27.60 - the 18.40 has no connecting bus.

Think will defo be in Hale for the 18.22

cheers mullo

are you going to leave the game early to make the 18:22 train from hale,

donspur wrote: »
    cheers mullo

are you going to leave the game early to make the 18:22 train from hale,

might have to go a few mins early. Would want to be out of the ground by 6 at latest. If I can grab a sneaky taxi I will or else a very brisk walk. Was talking to someone yest who was at Charlton and got the 6.22 and said had him in the airport with time for a pint.

He also mentioned that the bus drivers were not checking tickets on the shuttle from Bis stort to stansted so recommened just buying the £10 train ticket and jumping on the bus. If they ask for a ticket boarding you could just jump in a cab. Rank at train station at bishops stortford.

He also mentioned that the bus drivers were not checking tickets on the shuttle from Bis stort to stansted so recommened just buying the £10 train ticket and jumping on the bus. If they ask for a ticket boarding you could just jump in a cab. Rank at train station at bishops stortford.

On the way to Bishops Stortford I asked the guy organising the buses if I could buy a ticket off him and he told me he wasn't selling and I could buy one at the train station when we arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

might have to go a few mins early. Would want to be out of the ground by 6 at latest. If I can grab a sneaky taxi I will or else a very brisk walk. Was talking to someone yest who was at Charlton and got the 6.22 and said had him in the airport with time for a pint.

I won't be at this game but do you know the way to T Hale through the houses as opposed to going down the High Road. I have a map that I could dig out and scan if anybody needs it (suggest that you practice on the way there). Also where are you sitting. I find that it takes nearly 5-10 minutes after a game to get out of the Paxton and just around as far as the Park Lane. Sitting at the other end would definitely save a few minutes

WHL wrote: »
    I won't be at this game but do you know the way to T Hale through the houses as opposed to going down the High Road. I have a map that I could dig out and scan if anybody needs it (suggest that you practice on the way there). Also where are you sitting. I find that it takes nearly 5-10 minutes after a game to get out of the Paxton and just around as far as the Park Lane. Sitting at the other end would definitely save a few minutes

Not in Park Lane Upper it won't, because of the away accommodation two thirds of the Park upper tier exit through half of the exits, it takes ages to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Not in Park Lane Upper it won't, because of the away accommodation two thirds of the Park upper tier exit through half of the exits, it takes ages to get out.

Must be worth it for the atmosphere :D How does it compare to the chaos when the Shelf side was a terrace (and if that is not showing my age!!)

Advertisement