Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Super Hot" Hot Sauce

Options
  • 13-11-2010 2:49pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, looking to get my brother something along the lines of a hot sauce gift pack for Christmas as he loves spicy food and practically uses Tabasco in the same way normal people use vinegar but I'm just wondering if these hot sauces you see online are even useable or are they just too ridiculously hot?

E.g. http://www.chilefarm.co.uk/sauces6.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Those ones look insane. You could have him try out Tabasco Habenero which is a lot hotter than regular Tabasco -I can drown food in regular Tabasco but the Habenero one tests my limits. I'd say most decent supermarkets would have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

This stuff looks to be local.

http://www.micschilli.ie/

The labels show some humour as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Those ones look insane.

I'd imagine but given the amount of them that are available to buy they must surely be enjoyed by some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

irish_goat wrote: »
    I'd imagine but given the amount of them that are available to buy they must surely be enjoyed by some people.

Or possibly bought once by people or bought as presents.

I was just making the point that whilst your brother may use regular tabasco like vinegar (so do I) it might be worth checking how he handles the hotter habanero before you drop money on the mail-order stuff. That said, one's tolerance builds and you can always use it in cooking if not directly on your plate, so I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

There's a system for rating the heat of of chilies based on capsaicin concentration, the Scoville scale. Tabasco sauce is in the table in the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,421 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The habanero isn't that much hotter than regular tabesco, when talking in the scale of some of those linked, some were 1mill scoville+
    The original red variety of Tabasco pepper sauce measures 2,500-5,000 SCU on the Scoville scale. The habanero sauce is considerably hotter, rating 7,000-8,000 Scoville units. The chipotle sauce adds chipotle pepper to the original sauce, measuring 2,000-2,500. The garlic variety, which blends milder peppers in with the tabasco peppers, rates 1,200-1,800 Scovilles, and the green pepper (jalapeño) sauce is even milder at 600-800 Scovilles. The Sweet and Spicy sauce is the mildest at only 100-600 Scoville units.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

FTGFOP wrote: »
    I was just making the point that whilst your brother may use regular tabasco like vinegar (so do I) it might be worth checking how he handles the hotter habanero before you drop money on the mail-order stuff. That said, one's tolerance builds and you can always use it in cooking if not directly on your plate, so I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

There's a system for rating the heat of of chilies based on capsaicin concentration, the Scoville scale. Tabasco sauce is in the table in the link.

He's generally very liberal with anything spicy so i'm just gonna go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A mate of mine gave me a bottle of Crazy Jerry's Mustard Gas Hot Sauce a couple of years ago.

This is dangerous stuff! What I used it for was when making curries for me & my family. I'd make a spicy (but not necessarily hot) curry for us all & serve Mrs Billy & the kids first. Then I'd add a 1/2 tsp to the remainder of the pot & mix it in well. Then I'd serve myself. (It also ensured that I got to eat any of the leftovers. :))

Adding just that tiny amount meant that I got the great flavours of whatever spices I used, plus a whacking great punch of heat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was a shop in the food court place on liffey street in dublin (as you go over the ha'penny bridge going towards ilac). It had all sorts of hot sauces with funny names. Not sure if they are still open though.

I had that hot tabasco Habenero before, at that heat there is not enough flavour for my liking, it is just raw heat to me, like drinking strong vodka vs a beer. I love franks red hot sauce -which is certainly NOT red hot, but I can lash it on and it has amazing flavour. I think franks do a hotter version, I think it was mentioned where to get it in another thread (besides online).

I had thought of mixing hotter stuff like Tabasco with my franks.

Good philosophy! (on both counts)

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    There was a shop in the food court place on liffey street in dublin (as you go over the ha'penny bridge going towards ilac). It had all sorts of hot sauces with funny names. Not sure if they are still open though.
    Epicurian IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Don't do it! Waste of money. I love hot sauce I do. I have presses full of "funny" hot sauce bottles that are inedible - all gifts from well meaning people.
    I like Tabasco sure, my favorite is Frank's Hot Sauce, which is pretty easy to get these days, but anything hotter than that is wasting money. Have you ever seen your brother eating something called "ring of fire" and enjoying it? then don't bother.

I went to school with Dave of Daves Insanity sauce. Genious. Tried out his sauces back when he was inventing them at his Burrito Madness store. Had to throw the food in the bin and order a new burrito.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Dave's insanity sauce is the only hot sauce worth talking about.

If you don't use it on all your food - hand back your man card.

Jaden wrote: »
    Dave's insanity sauce is the only hot sauce worth talking about.

If you don't use it on all your food - hand back your man card.
    Check the link in the OP, one of the bottles is Dave's special reserve, its a special even hotter limit edition version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jonathanmatt

I would recommend Mama Africa hot sauces - They're south african and you can get a 4 pack in Jabula in Dublin 1 which are rated out of 10 and have usually 2 x 6/10, 1 x 9/10 and 1 x 10/10

The different flavours work well with lots of foods and you don't have to blow your head off, but if you want to the 10/10 habanero one will do the job!

Also available at chilefarm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I use this sauce. Sriracha, it can be gotten in Asian shops in Dublin. I am getting a bit sick of it now though and need a change, but it is hot.

11014_sriracha_sauce_lg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Tesco has Nando Extra Hot Piri Piri Sauce which has a nice kick to it and not as vinegary (if such a word exists) a taste as tabasco which I do enjoy too regardless. But wait there's more, last week I spy, again in Tesco, a bottle of Nando's extra extra hot sauce and wow, that's a biter.

Looking forward to trying some of the suggestions here too. I'm sure the input side will handle them but will the output?

Advertisement