Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent

Options
  • 13-11-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

Is there some reason they stopped selling this paper on campus a couple of years ago? It's more popular than the Times or the Examiner so I don't see why unless they bad mouthed the college or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

The Irish Independent may have higher sales nationally but the Examiner would have always had the highest broadsheet sales in CIT / Cork. Next would be the Times.

I very much doubt there is any conspiracy / grudge against the Independent but more of a demand issue. Based on the sales on broadsheets on campus, I guess its not economically viable to deliver a handful of papers when the demand is for the Examiner/Times or tabloids.

BTW, the Independent can be read online at http://www.independent.ie from within the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

It was often sold out by lunchtime when they used to have it. There are a few thousand people through that place every day seems odd to me that they don't stock it when even the smallest shops elsewhere have it.

The fact they don't sell cigarettes is really annoying as well. There should at least be a machine on campus. Some namby pampy government type has probably decided it's not a good image for an educational facility but the fact is probably 30% of college students are smokers and making them walk half a mile to a shop and half a mile back isn't accomplishing anything.

It was often sold out by lunchtime when they used to have it. There are a few thousand people through that place every day seems odd to me that they don't stock it when even the smallest shops elsewhere have it.

The fact they don't sell cigarettes is really annoying as well. There should at least be a machine on campus. Some namby pampy government type has probably decided it's not a good image for an educational facility but the fact is probably 30% of college students are smokers and making them walk half a mile to a shop and half a mile back isn't accomplishing anything.

I have seen the highest selling paper (The Examiner) dropped off at the shop and its never more than a bale or two. As I said previously, the most likey reason it is not sold is due to demand. I presume if there was money to be made they would restock it.

Also instead of complaining here you would be better asking the staff in the shop why, and if they can get it for you! I do know they will source magazines for people if their supplier has them.

In regards to cigarettes I couldn't care less but I do know that the student body had a serious input into that decision a few years back and not just namby pamby government types.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Im sure if you ask them they could order in a few copies every morning. As far as I know most papers come from the same supplier except a select few.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kk887

but the fact is probably 30% of college students are smokers .
    i dont think only 30% of us are smokers btw...

• Advertisement

I think they might have it back now. They had it a couple of weeks ago anyway. Been so fecking busy lately it hasn't occurred to me to be reading newspapers.

I think they might have it back now. They had it a couple of weeks ago anyway. Been so fecking busy lately it hasn't occurred to me to be reading newspapers.
    same here, got 6 assig for this week...

kk887 wrote: »
    i dont think only 30% of us are smokers btw...

Why?

The national average in Ireland at June 2010 was 23.6%. That was down 3.8% since June 2008. The highest age group is 25-34yrs and that just reaches 30%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

It's a **** paper if you want to hear the truth - but that's probably now why you can't get it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

:pac:

• Advertisement

Why?

The national average in Ireland at June 2010 was 23.6%. That was down 3.8% since June 2008. The highest age group is 25-34yrs and that just reaches 30%.
    dont know
    i just have this feeling so you can take it as my personal POV

btw just a quick crount of my friend...including myself...only 4 of us aret smoking :(

kk887 wrote: »
    dont know
    i just have this feeling so you can take it as my personal POV

btw just a quick crount of my friend...including myself...only 4 of us aret smoking :(

I think it is fair to say that generally smokers stick in groups with other smokers when smoking, and smoking is generally taken up due to following your immediate peers. That is why the percentage seems higher for you but the figures listed above are facts based on national surveys.

BTW only a small percentage of my friends/family smoke but I wouldnt use that as a national basis to calculate the amount of smokers in the country.

It's something like 30% with young people. The exact number isn't important. Whatever the case I think it's a bit silly that if most colleges can have bars that sell cigarettes (they used have machines when I was in UL like a decade ago) while our college doesn't have any.

We've a technical college with people doing welding and metal work and stuff so I can understand why they don't have a bar on the college. I don't see the argument for not having cigarettes, other than some administrator has a bee in their bonnet about it which I'm guessing they do with all these new "No smoking within 30 feet of the doors/go to designated smoking area" signs they've erected lately. As if anybodys going to pay a blind bit of notice.

Advertisement