Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOBILE PHONE TELESCOPE

Options
  • 13-11-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭

friend of mine lookin about gettin a little 6 r 7x zoom telescope for his phone. he`s mad into wildlife and birds, feathered ones that is. seen few on ebay. just wonderin if any1 here has bought r used one? cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Used one on a N95 about 2 years ago. Bit odd of a yoke, but useful to some I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Just get a cheap superzoom digital camera.
    The cameras on phones are so utterly rubbish that they're no good for anything but a quick snap or an abstract art shot at best, imo.
    If the lad's into wildlife photography he should get a proper camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,462 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The so-called 'zoom' on a mobile phone is actually a digital zoom which means that it achieves nothing that you couldn't do after the event yourself with simple image-processing s/w.

Digital zoom involves s/w in the camera stretching the image which leads to loss in quality. The first thing I do when I buy a new digital camera is to switch off digital zoom because it achieves absolutely nothing but gives the illusion that you are getting closer to the action which you are not.

What your friend needs is optical zoom which you will only find on a real camera.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can get cheapo gadets that you clip your phone onto that act as a telescope

as others have said the camera on the phone ain't great so there is no point in spending a lot on such thingies

random google hit - http://www.sourcingmap.com/zoom-multifunctional-mobile-phone-camera-lens-telescope-p-18243.html

I;m sure dealextreme and their ilk do similar - point is there ain't much point in spending more than a tenner on this stuff - if you really have to get better optics then wait for cheap pocket sized binoculars in lidl/aldi

Advertisement