Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AP2.5 on 360??

• 13-11-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me what AP2.5 is?
    I've been reading threads about it and don't understand what it does or what it implications are for xbox 360 users.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

from what i gather:

certain games have ap2.5 protection check on them
    this only kicks in when you have the kinect dashboard installed
    it does 2 things:
    1) it flags your xbox for banning as it can detect modified firmware
    2) it makes backed up ap2.5 games unplayable on the kinect dash

implications are that if you back up your own games, don't use the a game with ap2.5 in your modded xbox. as far as im aware, even your retail version of the game will flag you for having modded firmware. so far the only game that has it that i know of is fable 3, but i would assume brotherhood will also have it

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Thanks for that. I'm already banned from last years banhammer so I was just wondering did it affect how I burned my games or running it through ABGX. Good result so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

No, discussion about this is against the charter >_<

how is discussion about it against the chapter exactly?

isnt it just discussing where and hows of illegal backups thats against it? surely that hasnt been mentionend here

ap2.5 affects anyone who legitimately backs up their retail games surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Helix wrote: »
    how is discussion about it against the chapter exactly?

isnt it just discussing where and hows of illegal backups thats against it? surely that hasnt been mentionend here

ap2.5 affects anyone who legitimately backs up their retail games surely?

Because it's the first line written in the forum charter, that's how.
    DO NOT POST ANYTHING IN RELATION TO BACKING UP/RIPPING GAMES

I've stated already, there's no such thing as a legitimate backup, at least not here in Ireland anyway. To do so would involve evading the counter-piracy measures present on the disc, and that's why it can't be done legitimately. In fact, it's a crime to do so here.

So to answer your question, discussion on backups of any kind is forbidden by the charter. I didn't write the charter, but Wittnessmenow & myself are tasked with enforcing it. And in my opinion, this subject could have very easily been discussed without the use of the word 'backup', but seeing as it was mentioned, it's now violating the charter.

The OP has his question answered, so this can be dropped now.

• Advertisement

isnt it just discussing where and hows of illegal backups thats against it?
    Please see this thread. EnterNow has already warned us

Edit: Or above --^ :o

gotcha

drop the bu word

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Does AP2.5 have any implications for a banned console so?
    I've heard that all discs become unreadable but maybe that's for people online. Do all new games make you update to the new Kinect dash?

Not at the minute, but pretty soon all new games will have the system update embedded on the game disc and require updating your console to the latest dashboard to play.

AP2.5 won't affect games that don't support AP2.5 (e.g. Black Ops), or consoles with drives that don't support AP2.5 (Samsung), or consoles which dashboards before Kinect.

Legally Microsoft cannot restrict AP2.5 games to unbanned consoles, your console is only banned from Live and they have no authority to restrict it further than is related to Xbox Live.

So if I own a banned console with LT+ or stock firmware, I can play Fable 3 or any other AP2.5 game on it and there should be no restriction apart from the simple "No Live for you" that the ban implies. If there are restrictions I'd quickly expect them to be overturned, just like the move to disable hard drive signing functionality during the 2009 banwave was reversed.

LT+ firmware is currently in beta testing, expect it soon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

LT+ firmware is currently in beta testing, expect it soon

before christmas soon or the leave the beta running forever soon?

Before christmas, that's what c4eva said.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

My modded xbox has the last dashboard and my unmodded has the new dashboard will these games effect me .

Yep the new AP25 games contain the new kinect dash, its a forced update.

Unless your on a JTAG.

Or rip $SystemUpdate out yourself :P

Advertisement