Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place in the city centre for buying a cheap laptop?

Options
  • 13-11-2010 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi

I don't have a car so I'm pretty much restricted to shopping for a laptop in the city centre. Any recommendations for where I should buy?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sony centre on patricks st,soundstore down oliver plunkett st,or you could get a bus out to mahon and go to pc world they have a good selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JohnyDarko

I wouldn't, just order online, you will get a MUCH better deal as well as a much wider range.

You can get Dell surplus laptops from www.ndc.co.uk for very reasonable prices and you can find computers, components and pretty much everything you'd need on www.komplett.ie too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The Hock might have one, Cash Connectors on MaCurtain Street but make sure you check it out first..

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭PSKdesign

why don't you buy one online from UK, I saved some cash in this way

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Online is the way to go. If you want something that's already out of date and overpriced, buy from a shop. Think about it - some models can be on the shelves so long, they're already superseded by replacements, and the shop will still charge what they originally did to make a profit.

If you're looking second hand, there's a place in St. Lukes which is good, but I don't have the details to hand. Definitely not Cash Convertors - that place is woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd agree that online is cheaper, but in the (low) chance of there being an issue with the laptop, it would be easier to deal with a city centre shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Soundstore would be grand for a basic cheap laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If there's an issue with a laptop, a bricks n mortar store will break your heart with the length of time they'll take to repair. Dell usually have a next day warranty - I know one IT head for a large company who buys Dell specifically because of the backup they have if anything goes wrong. I know one guy who brought his laptop to the Sound Store, and was nearly 2 weeks waiting for the problem to be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

With Dell you do end up paying quite a bit for the warranty though especially if you go for the longer-term options. Having said that, I'd go with the majority on here and order online. If something does go wrong getting it sorted might be more difficult but it's far more likely that nothing will go wrong and you'll have saved yourself a few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

charlemont wrote: »
    The Hock might have one, Cash Connectors on MaCurtain Street but make sure you check it out first..
    I wouldn't trust Cash Connectors though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 2wheelsbetter

Thanks for all of your helpful replies. I was posting for a friend who needed a laptop straight away so buying it online wasn't an option. They bought it in soundstore.

Advertisement