Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€150,000 for new park in Tramore

Options
  • 13-11-2010 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

The new Tramore Park Project, on land between Lower Branch Road and The Promenade, was approved for funding of approximately €150,000 by Waterford County Council, at a meeting in Dungarvan on Monday.

Phase one of the park project is being led by Tramore Tidy Towns Committee and is being funded by the Committee, Waterford Leader Partnership and he Co. Council.

Director of Services, Michael Quinn, said the park met the requirements for a Local Government grant.

Funding would only be given if Waterford Leader Partnership approved a grant for the project and if Tramore Tidy Towns Committee agreed to pay it directly to the County Council. Funding is limited to the value of the grant which is expected to be €150,000.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

delighted to hear this news , was wonering what was holding it up, the new park has great potential for both locals and visitors

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Great idea. I'm wondering whether the schools could be involved in the development - maybe plant groves of trees - to get them interested and proud of it, and hopefully limit vandalism. I'm not suggesting that the Tramore school students are vandals, but that many people taking a positive interest might help limit problems.

thats a very good thought, I know the council were looking for suggestions in the development plans no harm to fire an email up to them to see what they think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭roco71

Sorry all but what a load of CAC. speaking of schools, the Gael Scoil is 25 yes 25 years seeking a permanant building and people want to waste 150k on a f**king park to sit alongside the other park except this one will be for dogs & the elderly. Makes my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

http://www.waterfordcoco.ie/en/localauthorities/tramoretowncouncil/tramorenews/mainbody,18819,en.html

What a complete and utter waste of public funds. They've already spent a fortune on that ugly statue of a Bog Iris. The area that they're now developing as a park was previously laid out as a small "crooked path" park but it was never maintained or cleaned. With the cut-backs that are on the way, this new park will be neglected too. It would be fitter for the Council to focus their attention on the area of the old Tourist Office, behind the Bus Station. It's a dump. The landowners should be prosecuted for allowing it to become such an ugly eyesore, particularly as it is in the heart of the tourist area of Tramore. It's disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

150k for a park whats wrong with tramore house ? same thing or the walkway they set up thru the old pitch n put course ? going be were locals go drinkin on the weekend and thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

in fairness the whole area around the majestic car park and boating lake is a horrible looking dump and has been for years, so i don't see the problem spending some money to do it up.

another point is that tramore tidy towns are involved in the town park so it should be maintained to a reasonable level.
    It would be fitter for the Council to focus their attention on the area of the old Tourist Office, behind the Bus Station. It's a dump. The landowners should be prosecuted for allowing it to become such an ugly eyesore, particularly as it is in the heart of the tourist area of Tramore. It's disgraceful.
    the council has power to put pressure on the owners to clean that site up, though sadly they don't seem to be doing anything about it.

who actually own,s the train station is it the councils ? and is all the land there councils property ?

what a great idea , lets not spend anything on any other aspect of improving the town because the Dept of Education and its employees misallocate their funding.
    Reality is if this measly €150k had went into the dept fund it probably would be rediverted to something else.
    The problems in our corrupt and rotten society had nothing to do with the lack of funding, it will in the future but I for one am glad the council have finally got the funding , dept of edu would have just p**ed against the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

jamiecoins wrote: »
    who actually own,s the train station is it the councils ? and is all the land there councils property ?
    I'm not sure who owns the train station, possbily the Council or OPW, or it me be owned by Volute who own the land around it including where Celtworld/South was.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure who owns the train station, possbily the Council or OPW, or it me be owned by Volute who own the land around it including where Celtworld/South was.

cool thanks for the info :) reading up on it lately in andy taylors history of tramore :)

I think its privately owned (NAMA now Im sure) but didnt it sell for 12 million with planning permission for the old preserved building to be turned into a cafe in 2007, open to correction

rasper wrote: »
    I think its privately owned (NAMA now Im sure) but didnt it sell for 12 million with planning permission for the old preserved building to be turned into a cafe in 2007, open to correction

a cafe hmmm never heard about that . but would be a great idea tho there used to just be that tourist office part beside it they knocked years ago had a handy atm there aswell:)

Celtic tiger planning , the old celtworld site had the planning preapproved before going up for sale for apartments and a shopping centre (Dunnes Stores)
    We're probably lucky it wasnt built as god knows whats its future would be

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

rasper wrote: »
    Celtic tiger planning , the old celtworld site had the planning preapproved before going up for sale for apartments and a shopping centre (Dunnes Stores)
    We're probably lucky it wasnt built as god knows whats its future would be
    We're probably luckier still that they demolished the Celtworld eyesore. It's a pity that Volute weren't obliged to restore the site to being a green field, though.

Advertisement