Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random scabs on dog.

• 13-11-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Just wondering what this could be? when brushing my malamute over the last week I have found 3 Lumps of dried blood in his fur. 2 on the top of his head and 1 between his shoulder blades. He has no fleas or ticks, so I have no idea what they are from. They are causing him no irritation that I have noticed Just wondering if anyone has any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

It's very common among dogs when they play with each others.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I often find scabs and cuts on my dogs and while yes, some of the them may be from when they're playing, the majority are from when they're running around the garden in amongst the bushes, including the rose bushes. I wasn't sure until one day I watched them carefully as they booted it around, chasing one another and the way they were diving amongst branches left me in no doubt. They didn't even notice. So it's easy happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

It sounds like he could have skin issues. This kind of thing is more common than you would think.

For example, dogs can be allergic to fleas, so that if even 1 (one, single, solitary!) flea bites them they can get horrible skin reactions. A lot of dogs also have issues with mites (which are invisible to the naked eye) and in certain dogs this can cause horrible skin reactions. Sometimes allergies to different things can manifest as skin complaints as well.

A lot of these reactions can cause things that look like scabby cuts or abrasions on random parts of the body. It might need a skin scrape or biopsy to see what the underlying problem is. So I'd say it would be a good idea to take your dog to the vet and see what they think!

Advertisement