Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twelve pins in Winter

Options
  • 13-11-2010 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Anyone done them? was up near them recently and if the weather is good I'm going to try the circuit this Christmas. Think I'll more or less have to be at the starting point at dawn, but what I'm worried about is conditions, any snow or ice up high and I think it'll be a bit risky. particularly since I'm alone.

So anyone know about liklelihood of snow ice up there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Hmm..I did this with the missus a few years back in summer and it took us most of the day. It's deceiving and quiet long a walk. It was featured in Trail magazine a few years back and they gave it 5/5 for strenuousness.

As far as snow and ice go, at that time of the year it's almost certain along the summits. The problem with the route is that you have few "get out of jail". If I remember correctly once you start there is only 1 or 2 ways off the route.

IMO going alone at that time of the year has mountain rescue written all over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

thanks. I won't be taking any chances to be honest so unless conditions are right I won't go and will turn around if it doesn't feel right. the reality is they're in cloud like 283 days a year or something ridiculous so most likely neither I nor the mountain rescue folks will be stetching their legs.

Advertisement