Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me build a new rig - €700 budget

Options
  • 13-11-2010 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

Last night I was sitting at my computer and it blew up. To be more accurate it was the monitor that blew up - but I figure that this is a sign if ever I needed one that the whole system - now 5 years old - needs replacing.

Going on advice given to me by Solitaire and massey086 in a similar thread I started at the beginning of the year, I've come up with the following component list - all soured from either Komplett or Pixmania. (I'm hoping that pixmania.co.uk will accept my order because it could mean about €40 saved over the .ie prices)

The total build so far costs €611 not inc P&P or a case and PSU.
    I figure I'll stick with XP for the moment and I'll use the DVD drive from my existing computer.

The idea is to keep this below €750 all in (say €700 for components and €50 for p&p) and for it to be used mostly for gaming but also programs such as Dreamweaver, Photoshop etc.

Any advice?

I've attached a couple of gifs that list the components

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

750 is alot to play with.

nicebuild.jpg

but that psu is out of stock, so wait for solitaire to suggest a better one. and i was just showing off with the SSD =P

do you know anyone who is a student? you could get windows 7 ~50 euro with their help :)

EDIT: thats 726 euro delivered. (€30 flat rate from hardwareversand)

EDIT2: duh! you need a monitor. scrap the SSD and get a 22" benq 1080p monitor like this one, which alot of these guys use. (after scrapping the SSD, the total will be €743 including shipping)
    The gtx460/i5 combo will eat any game with ease @ 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    750 is alot to play with.
    I'm beginning to think it's too much :pac:

BTW, I thought I should add that I have absolutely no interest in the aesthetics of the case. It's going to be shoved under a table and there it will stay. So cheap and cheerful is the way to go. I would even consider one of those €40 case and PSU jobs if it was guaranteed that wouldn't sound like a hair-dryer.*

*Seriously, I would! My current hair-dryer has been pumping out the watts without problem for 5+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

don't let Solitaire hear you talking about integrated PSU's :eek:;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I wouldn't be worried about the sound of a casecombo, unless you refer to the sound of its PSU exploding :pac:

I'd have posted by now if I saw an easy build, but HWVS has just run out of HD6850s on one hand, and the Amazon 550W (needed for the GTX460) on the other, so its gonna be a minute before I post anything that makes sense even to me :o:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

BTW, I thought I should add that I have absolutely no interest in the aesthetics of the case. It's going to be shoved under a table and there it will stay. So cheap and cheerful is the way to go. I would even consider one of those €40 case and PSU jobs if it was guaranteed that wouldn't sound like a hair-dryer.*

*Seriously, I would! My current hair-dryer has been pumping out the watts without problem for 5+ years.

the case/psu option works good with the HD 6850, as it has such a low power draw. no risk involved despite what the scaremongers may say. the sound from it is no louder than any other tbh. u could even go for the HD6870 as it only draws 247w on full load and still be under 700e for your build.

here is a nice build for your price range

HV20I576DE Intel Core i5-760 Box 8192Kb, LGA1156
    incl. VAT and excl. shipping costs
    immediately available 166,59 € HV1131ILDE Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3, Intel P55, ATX, DDR3, PCI-Express
    immediately available 116,31 € HV20G305DE 4GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL7
    immediately available 77,68 € HV203FAPDE Cooler Master Centurion RC534 lite ohne Netzteil silber
    immediately available 44,81 € HVR650SBDE Super-Flower SF650P14P 650W
    immediately available 42,18 € HV1027SHDE Sapphire HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express
    immediately available 214,20 € HV1310F3DE Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)
    immediately available 47,94 € HV207SC3DE Samsung SH-223C bare schwarz SATA
    immediately available 14,76 € Sum: 724,47 €

Those PSUs are significantly inferior compared to the Amazon line. They're SuperFlower's budget range, lacking even such modern amenities as Active PFC, and I'm fairly sure they're the units that get rebadged as AXPertec's poor and unreliable units... which gave SFC an unfairly bad rep as an OEM in the first place.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Those PSUs are significantly inferior compared to the Amazon line. They're SuperFlower's budget range, lacking even such modern amenities as Active PFC, and I'm fairly sure they're the units that get rebadged as AXPertec's poor and unreliable units... which gave SFC an unfairly bad rep as an OEM in the first place.

and this is why the amazon range is more expensive.
    the OP has asked for something cheap and chearfull. we cant all afford the best of everything :).

superflower are tiwanese around since 1991, axpertec are based in chicago and around since 2002, afaik. their PSUs do look very similar but axpertec dont do a 650w psu, they do a 630w.
    650w in this application is way over specd anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

You know what they say. If it looks like a duck, and it walks like a duck ....

AXP-630W
    Simplepower630W-thumbnail.jpg

Superflower 600W
    a_0_1277806679.png

Are we to put this similarity competely down to chance? (Unlikely as they are known to have been an AXP OEM in the past).

• Advertisement

here is a nice build for your price range

HV20I576DE Intel Core i5-760 Box 8192Kb, LGA1156
    immediately available 166,59 € HV1131ILDE Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3, Intel P55, ATX, DDR3, PCI-Express
    immediately available 116,31 € HV20G305DE 4GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL7
    immediately available 77,68 € HV203FAPDE Cooler Master Centurion RC534 lite ohne Netzteil silber
    immediately available 44,81 € HVR650SBDE Super-Flower SF650P14P 650W
    immediately available 42,18 € HV1027SHDE Sapphire HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express
    immediately available 214,20 € HV1310F3DE Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)
    immediately available 47,94 € HV207SC3DE Samsung SH-223C bare schwarz SATA
    immediately available 14,76 € Sum: 724,47 €

Good build. Unfortunately it doesn't include a monitor which would bump it to about €880 inc P&P.

However, if I change the RAM to 4GB-Kit Corsair DDR3 PC1600 as mentioned by Tea_Bag, the graphics card to something like a HD 5770 (I'll have to check to see if there are any better options out there) and the motherboard to a more reasonably priced option I should be able to afford the monitor and stay within budget.

That still leaves the PSU problem. But it looks like it is coming together!

we can all talk about ducks mate. if u are going to pick holes, do it with facts please, otherwise we can all make wild claims. this is how its done in the real world. its not cool to shoot down suggestions without proper foundation and it questions your credability tbh.
    i read somewhere that super flower dont farm out their PSUs but im not 100% sure of that because i dont have it from a reliable enough source. its meaningless unless its on some super flower statement somewhere or on an OEM site etc.

SuperFlower is the OEM for SuperFlower. They also provide units for other companies. Seasonic is the OEM for Seasonic, but again they produce units for companies such as Corsair and Antec too. AXPertec could be based anywhere; their PSUs are made by SuperFlower in Taiwan and get a shiny box and a badge on the side saying "AXP" in Chicago. Get your definition of OEM, Brand and Retailer straight please, and never trust or distrust a PSU simply because of their brand or OEM! SuperFlower currently make some of the best PSUs on the market, but they also make some utter ****e as well :p

Good build. Unfortunately it doesn't include a monitor which would bump it to about €880 inc P&P.

However, if I change the RAM to 4GB-Kit Corsair DDR3 PC1600 as mentioned by Tea_Bag, the graphics card to something like a HD 5770 (I'll have to check to see if there are any better options out there) and the motherboard to a more reasonably priced option I should be able to afford the monitor and stay within budget.

That still leaves the PSU problem. But it looks like it is coming together!
    the HD 5770 is vastly inferior to the GTX 460 i listed.

also, the case i specced you is the cheapest type of the bunch, but even as you said, it'll do just fine.

also, PSU i listed is "ready for dispatch from 2010-11-18" according to HWVS.

im no expert OP, but im pretty sure the system i already listed is going to get you the best bang for buck. you're getting amazing value tbh, my old dell (P4 3.2ghz 1gb ram POS cost €800 not so long ago)

Do you want to cut the budget down abit, or are you still happy to stick to 750 euro?

and the PSU business, for the sake of €9, ill happily take the PSU ive just listed over the OEM cheapo curry addict did. sorry.

Thanks, Tea Bag. The advice is much appreciated.

I'm wondering if 550 watt is a bit of overkill? I figure all the system will be running is one HDD, a HD 5700 or 6850, a pci wireless card and a DVD drive.

As for the total build cost, I'm always happy to save €50 here or there ;) If you have any alternatives they would welcome. I'm hoping that I can order this in the next couple of days as I'll be needing it soon enough.

Anyway, by mixing and matching advice, I've come up with this list so far:

CPU: i5-760 - 166.59
    HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 - 47.94
    RAM: 4GB-Kit Corsair DDR3 PC1600 - 59.03
    GPU: HD 5770 - 112.62
    PSU:4GB-Kit Corsair DDR3 PC1600 - 40.07
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L (I've traditionally gone with Asus mobos so not sure about this) - 76.70
    PCI: TP-Link TL-WN353G Wireless G Adapter - 8.02
    LCD: BenQ G2220HD - 121.38

CASE: AZXT - 40.58
    PSU: Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W - 40.07

OR if I go with the combined case and PSU

CASE WPSU: JCP Midi Tower ATX "Dark Crystal" - 40.79

€713 with separate case and psu (450W) + €30 = €743
    €673.14 with integrated case + €30 = €703.14

Am I correct in thinking these guys don't accept credit cards?

Just to add, if I did go with the integrated Case/PSU I could then afford the GTX 460.

Decisions. Decisions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I came across the spec for the PSU for a very similar JCP combo on a polish site, it turns to to have a mighty 28 amp 12V rail more befitting of a run of the mill 380-400W unit (And possibly no PCIe connectors from the look of the picture and the specs). Buyer beware IMO.

http://allegro.pl/obudowa-jcp-midi-tower-z-zasilaczem-500w-i1287252372.html

Thanks for the warning. OK, so what I could do is make a couple of compromises.

I get the 450W PSU and the GTX460 but I go with a super cheap case and a 500GB spinpoint F3 hard drive.

That would work out at €710

Any more advice about this? I want to get everything ordered today if possible.

Any more advice about this? I want to get everything ordered today if possible.

Out of stock warning on the case so there is a danger your order could go into HWVS limbo indefinately.

This looks like the 'least worst' sub 30 euro case that I can see there. :)

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28607&agid=631

• Advertisement

Nice least worse case.

Unfortunately there are a couple of products that appear as unavailable - the graphics card and the wireless pci card. I don't mind waiting a bit if I can get the monitor first - hopefully without having to pay extra P&P.

OK, so just a few questions and I'll be ready to order.

Firstly, I would appreciate any general comments on the build, which is quite close to what Tea Bag initially suggested. Is it any good? Have I forgotten anything - cables or something blindingly obvious?

finalo.gif

Secondly, I need a wireless pci card. I have a 54mb wireless-g router so nothing too fancy, I guess. Any suggestions? I was going to go with either this or this but they both seem to be low on stock. The other reasonably priced option is a pci-e wireless card. However, I don't know what the difference between pci and pci-e cards are. It seems to me that the motherboard I was thinking of getting has loads of pci-e ports.

Finally, I was also thinking about this motherboard as a possible rival to the Gigabyte listed above

So that is pretty much that. I'm hoping that when the price of the wireless card and the p&p is included I'll come in about €20 or so under budget.

Nice least worse case.

Unfortunately there are a couple of products that appear as unavailable - the graphics card and the wireless pci card. I don't mind waiting a bit if I can get the monitor first - hopefully without having to pay extra P&P.

OK, so just a few questions and I'll be ready to order.

Firstly, I would appreciate any general comments on the build, which is quite close to what Tea Bag initially suggested. Is it any good? Have I forgotten anything - cables or something blindingly obvious?

finalo.gif

Secondly, I need a wireless pci card. I have a 54mb wireless-g router so nothing too fancy, I guess. Any suggestions? I was going to go with either this or this but they both seem to be low on stock. The other reasonably priced option is a pci-e wireless card. However, I don't know what the difference between pci and pci-e cards are. It seems to me that the motherboard I was thinking of getting has loads of pci-e ports.

Finally, I was also thinking about this motherboard as a possible rival to the Gigabyte listed above

So that is pretty much that. I'm hoping that when the price of the wireless card and the p&p is included I'll come in about €20 or so under budget.

A bit dearer than the other two but I have something very similar and it is a decent card and in stock.

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=6604&agid=271

Doesn't really matter if you get a PCI or PCIeX1 however the Gigabyte board has 4 PCI slots and only one PCIeX1 slot, may be best to keep the PCIeX1 slot free in case it is needed in the future for some as yet unforseen reason. (Note if you get the ASUS there are three of each so this doesn't apply).

Thanks all! I'm going to throw in an order today.

Thanks all! I'm going to throw in an order today.
    good luck!

as massy06 once said to me

"hit the make me broke but happy button" ... or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

ha! very appropriately named i must say

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    good luck!

as massy06 once said to me

"hit the make me broke but happy button" ... or something along those lines.

Ain't that the truth!

Has anyone got any ideas of how long the delivery will take? I imagine the whole money transfer thing will slow things down considerably.

Advertisement