Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech Therapy during the weekends: rates

• 13-11-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

Are there any speech therapy sessions available in Dublin during the weekends? And what kind of prices are you looking at?

Saw a Stepaside clinic but their prices are beyond my means. HSE are too slow IMHO.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Well down in clare private speech therapy is €275 an hour.

1 years waiting on HSE when the budget hits recon you can double that to 2 years.

Set aside 30 mins every couple of days and do a bit of DIY, my fella has had speech therapy for a year and a half and he only started getting it (understanding that his weekly sessions are to learn him to talk)2 months ago and has started making progress.

Enquire if there is a hanen course (hanen more than words) starting up soon with the hse (it should be free) it will teach you how to teach your child to talk. Basically its logical and you do it anyways with your child, but i think the course does offer some good points, you can also buy the book think it cost €45. The book and course are mainly for children with asd but the same goes for any child who has speech difficulties. My guy has no diagnosis and i did the course a year ago.

My guy gets his speech therapy through the early intervention services (as he has other issues) otherwise we would have been waiting ages. Pre school has worked wonders and he is beginning to talk a lot more and i can now have a mini conversation with him, he is 4 next month ( he has the speech level of a 2.5 year old).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yicks! And I thought the USA was bad!
    Waitinglist for public speech therapy is 1 year plus here too, so we went private, and pay 88 dollars (about 65 euro) per session, which is 1 hour with the child and then 10 minutes recap/ homework discussion with the parent!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fiona stephanie

Hi

My daughter has been in speech therapy since she was 3, she is 6 now! Was originally on the HSE waiting list for a year, she now has block sessions of 6-12 weeks about every 6 months!
    I have twice used private speech therapists, at a rate of 80 euro an hour. And to be honest, have much preferred the HSE, found the private ones useless!
    To answer your questions about weekend opening hours, none of the ones around where I live open at the weekend! I live in Dublin .

• Registered Users Posts: 24 orlaeryn

My daughter was having private speech therapy for a year. After about 15 months on hse list she got 1 block of slt, basically 1 session per month for 6 months. Really if you can afford it go private,the wait is too long, and early intervention is vital.

Going rate in Dublin is 100 per hour. Just a suggestion-you could use student sl therapist to keep costs down. If you got a 4th year student, they generally have good bit of clinical experience by that stage. It could be ideal as you get reduced rate and they gain more experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lilypie

hi our son was diagnosed as having verbal dyspraxia @ 18 mths we went to arc speech therapy collins ave not sure whether they do weekend ap but I highly recommend them they have a web site ,my son saw celine lenihan and she was brilliant very warm and caring I think it is very important for your child to like the person who is working with them we also got a home programme to do ,s/t also pick ed up on signs of motor dyspraxia we were waiting 3 years o n hse ,. good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement