Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is xlink

• 13-11-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

can someone explain xlink to me can i play online with my modded xbox

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

xlink (Kai) is a service that enables you to play "system link" games with online users - check out http://www.teamxlink.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

as i swap my hard drive and use the one gamertag between my modded and unmodded xbox is there any chance i can get banned for using it

There's always a 'chance', but I would imagine it's slim since the only console you go on live with is the unmodded one. Besides they can only ban your Gamertag, and as long as your modded console doesn't mess with it then you're probably all right. As far as I'm aware the console just thinks you are playing a system link game :D

cool thanks ill give it a go soon thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

This doesnt tend to work on un jtagged 360s, there is a ping limit of 30ms on system link games, which means youd need to have **** hot internet on both sides of the connection. As far as i know it can be extended on Jtagged consoles

• Advertisement

It can be completely removed on JTAG consoles and you're right, the 30ms ping between hosts is a requirement that's usually only met over a wired internet connection by computers in the same or neighbouring countries - you probably won't play a lad from the US or Australia on it anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I've looked into the ping limit patch for my jtag and I can never seem to join a game, I can see their game hosted in the System Link lobby but it would say "session no longer available", my setup is like this PC and Xbox linked with Cat5, PC has a wireless dongle and the ethernet and wireless adapter are bridged on the PC

so i set it up followed xlink guide to the letter. Xlink sees my xbox and i can see matches but it keeps telling me match no longer avaliable. What am i doing wrong

Pings are too high is the most common cause.

all the pings i see are over 30ms is there anywhere i can go to find irish players. and how can i tell my ping

• Advertisement

Well you won't find 'em in Console Modding as far as I know, I never use Kai myself :P There might be some folks over in Xbox forum you could have a chat with and see how it goes :) You ping is highly dependant on where you connection is going, pings to local IPs (ie if you're on Eircom, to other eircom users) would be lower than far away users :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Im a fellow irish user id be happy to set up xlink on my jtag and have a few online games we should try to get a group together of users to all set up xlink for some online gameing i no a load of people in the uk that have jtags and moded consoles so if if could get a large group in ireland and the uk we might be able to get some good online gameing going

I dont play online as much as i would like but i would love to be part of that i know a few people with modded xboxes that would be interested. Would the ping in the uk be right for me to play with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Well if there is away around the ping check with a jtag im sure playing against people in the uk would work fine

i only have a modded xbox not jtag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Im a fellow irish user id be happy to set up xlink on my jtag and have a few online games we should try to get a group together of users to all set up xlink for some online gameing i no a load of people in the uk that have jtags and moded consoles so if if could get a large group in ireland and the uk we might be able to get some good online gameing going

Great idea count me in

I dont play online as much as i would like but i would love to be part of that i know a few people with modded xboxes that would be interested. Would the ping in the uk be right for me to play with

The ping is different for every game, it's not a standard 30ms. Pinging a few websites belonging to dedicated game server companies (clanplanet.co.uk and xgservers.co.uk) I get pings of 20-25ms. Once again, it depends on a LOT of things - wired vs Wireless in the house, Wired vs Wireless ISP, who your ISP peers with, who the destination peers with, their ISP, their connection, congestion in the network - LOTS of things. There is no definite answer, try it and see. There are better places to find people using Kai than here - for example, the official Kai forums :pac:

@thenightrider & justryan - you can disable the ping limit entirely with a JTAG - check out announcement in the Xlink Kai forum link above - first thread at the very top, second post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ill be removing the ping limit on my jtag later tonight. once its up and running, ill be very open to gettint a regular group of players together for a few games :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

me 2, once someone tells me what to do :)

Advertisement