Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats all this about? Super Sale Sunday

Options
  • 13-11-2010 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I have in front of me a leaflet saying that in the menlo park hotel tomorrow there are thousands of items from really low prices:
    xbox360 €40
    55" LCD €330
    Bosch washing machine €95

etc...

ex-catalogue stock from argos, brown thomas, currys, etc...

Catches that I can read:
    viewing from 10am
    first sale from 11am
    afternoon sale 2pm
    evening sale 6pm

admission €2

I've never been to one of these, because they sound too good to be true.

Has anyone been, what are they like?

Comments

I think there was a thread about this a year ago but I can't remember the exact details. Seem to remember somebody saying there was something a bit fishy about it all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

SCAM, stuff is rubbish and the knacks who hire hotels out for these events are long gone when you go for the refund .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

how could they be gone when u buy something in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Keyser Söze

its an kind of like an auction, was at one in the radisson a good while ago, you will not get anything at the prices stated, its rigged so the prices will go up no matter what

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was at one years ago. It's a scam alright but just about legal. I forget the exact mechanics but the aim is to get people whipped up into a frenzy so they'll buy any old tat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

I had the same question last yr when it was in the ardilaun hotel.

They do add 21%VAT and 5+% commission to the auction prices so it adds up quickly.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055494048&highlight=ardilaun+hotel+auction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Expect lots of less-than-well-known brands, bidders working for the organisers, mystery items, use of psychology. Hang on to your wallet and don't buy something you are not sure about. Forget guarantees! Can be worth the entry fee for a bit of entertainment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Xbox 360 for €40...no fecking way, probably will work for a day or two before RROD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Sounds like a scam dutch auction.

These are widespread in The UK.
    I was at a few in London some years back. They hire out hotels, town halls, pub function rooms etc.

At one such sale in Oxford Street the vendors didn't appreciate it when they copped that I wasn't there to buy anything and became quite aggresive.

Here's how it works
    An auctioneer with a microphone works the crowd up by telling them.
    "I don't want €500 for this plasma screen tv. I don't want €400 or €300 or even €200 ! Who will offer me €100 ?"

Of course every hand in the room is raised and the tv is sold to the gentleman in the corner who's hand went up first. Next up is the Bosch washing machine sold to the lady with the red scarf down the back of the room.

This lark continues for a while and the crowd are amazed at the bargains and become more eager to get in on the action. Then the hard sell begins. Having talked the crowed up for the guts of an hour now, and with continuous references to the fabulous goods already sold, and telling them there is only a limited amount of stock left, the crowd become more impatient to part with their cash.

He then tells them there might not be enough tv's for everyone but asks if some people might settle for an X-Box, a Laptop or something else
    instead. Most people will, and an assistant will then go around the room and collect €100 from them and hand them a ticket to claim their purchase on their way out.

As they leave, they are handed a black sealed bin liner and told not to open it until they get home as other buyers may not have got something as valuable and may become jealous.
    Of course the contents of the black bag contain nothing remotely worth the €100 the buyer just paid for them, but legally he has no come back because he willingly agreed to pay for something else, and thats exactly what he got.

Meanwhile the auctioneer, his assistants, and his friends the man in the corner and the lady with the red scarf (remember them?) are out the back loading up the van to move on to the next town and do it all again.

It might be worth heading out to the Menlo for a look tomorrow.
    But leave your wallet at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I saw this thread on the front page so decided to look here.

I got that exact leaflet here in Cork, but I think the 'Super Sale' is next week here.

That alone makes it a scam, being able to sell so much of this stock in different areas of the country. Too good to be true.

• Advertisement

Thanks Lapin, that to me sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Lapin has described it pretty well. They will often batch items with one "good" item mixed with a load of crap.

Lapin wrote: »
    Sounds like a scam dutch auction.

These are widespread in The UK.
    I was at a few in London some years back. They hire out hotels, town halls, pub function rooms etc.

At one such sale in Oxford Street the vendors didn't appreciate it when they copped that I wasn't there to buy anything and became quite aggresive.

Here's how it works
    An auctioneer with a microphone works the crowd up by telling them.
    "I don't want €500 for this plasma screen tv. I don't want €400 or €300 or even €200 ! Who will offer me €100 ?"

Of course every hand in the room is raised and the tv is sold to the gentleman in the corner who's hand went up first. Next up is the Bosch washing machine sold to the lady with the red scarf down the back of the room.

This lark continues for a while and the crowd are amazed at the bargains and become more eager to get in on the action. Then the hard sell begins. Having talked the crowed up for the guts of an hour now, and with continuous references to the fabulous goods already sold, and telling them there is only a limited amount of stock left, the crowd become more impatient to part with their cash.

He then tells them there might not be enough tv's for everyone but asks if some people might settle for an X-Box, a Laptop or something else
    instead. Most people will, and an assistant will then go around the room and collect €100 from them and hand them a ticket to claim their purchase on their way out.

As they leave, they are handed a black sealed bin liner and told not to open it until they get home as other buyers may not have got something as valuable and may become jealous.
    Of course the contents of the black bag contain nothing remotely worth the €100 the buyer just paid for them, but legally he has no come back because he willingly agreed to pay for something else, and thats exactly what he got.

Meanwhile the auctioneer, his assistants, and his friends the man in the corner and the lady with the red scarf (remember them?) are out the back loading up the van to move on to the next town and do it all again.

It might be worth heading out to the Menlo for a look tomorrow.
    But leave your wallet at home.

Cheers for that. Surely this should be made as a site-wide announcement, especially in the lead up to Christmas.

Cheers for that. Surely this should be made as a site-wide announcement, especially in the lead up to Christmas.

I've no prob with that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It's actually called a Jam Auction

Very good clip there psni.

I never knew of the phrase "Jam Auction", and while the method of selling in the clip differs from the ones I attended in the past, the format remains the same.
    There are obviously many variations on the scam.

I wish I could be in Galway tomorrow to let unsuspecting punters know what awaits them as the turn up at the auction.
    I'm also puzzled by the venue but thats for another day.

I hope people reading this thread will encourage others not to get sucked in.
    A previous contributor on this thread alluded to the fact that people should be warned in the run up to Christmas. I fully agree.

Unfortunately, most scams and confidence tricks are totally legal.

Caveat Emptor.

BTW - I couldn't help raising a smile when I saw the name of the psychologist at the end of the clip. Very apt !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have never seen one where people get their money back !. Also the auctioneer wouldn't usually commit themselves by saying that something was for sale nearby for twice the price as this would be a false description.
    The main item is often closer to £100 than £20. They build up the tension by saying that they only have 5 of this & 2 of that for the "desired item" like an iPod.

I have witnessed people coming out of one of these "auctions" & going straight up to the Police only to be told that it is legal. They are usually held in empty shop units so I am surprised if any respectable venue would want to be associated with them.

Did anyone go today?
    Any feedback on how the "Sale" went?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not sure if it happened I passed by yesterday and did not see much in the way of cars.

there was loads of cars their throughout the day. Some were parked outside on the road. I didn't speak to anyone or go inside tho. I'm curious to know how they got on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I remember these scams years ago myself down on Oxford st in London and agree with Lapin that the people working there would get aggressive if they knew you were only watching.
    IMO stay well away from any future such event people.
    If something is too good to be true it generally is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 catleo

I went there yesterday. A supposeldy 2500euro tv went for a 1000 euro, a lot of the stuff on the leaflet ... ghd straightners, makita cordless drills were not even there. The stuff was mostely junk.
    There was the same type of auction at wembley market every sunday with the usually cockneys that do it, they have all the chat and charm like the guy there yesterday.

Advertisement