Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a new 32GB MP3 player

• 13-11-2010 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

I have had a lovely Sony walkman - the S639F - 16Gb for a couple of years now but it has seen better days and I am looking to upgrade to a 32GB player, but there seems to be a shortage of these on the market? Ideally I want a drag and drop, with good battery life, that's why I loved the sony. I don't need a fancy touch screen or video etc. I did see one sony model in a32GB recently but it was pretty pricy iirc and also seemed more geared towards video than music??

Are there any other options out there - most things seem to stop at 16GB :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭sxt

Them Sony models are great,Sound and battery are superb

Cowon j3 sounds nifty
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowon-32GB-MP3-Player-Colour/dp/B003O6904E/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1289678082&sr=1-3

This supports micro sd as well if you needed even more space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Yep, your best bet is to get something with expandable memory. Although 32 GB microSD cards are fairly pricey at the mo.

Hey guys

I have had a lovely Sony walkman - the S639F - 16Gb for a couple of years now but it has seen better days and I am looking to upgrade to a 32GB player, but there seems to be a shortage of these on the market? Ideally I want a drag and drop, with good battery life, that's why I loved the sony. I don't need a fancy touch screen or video etc. I did see one sony model in a32GB recently but it was pretty pricy iirc and also seemed more geared towards video than music??

Are there any other options out there - most things seem to stop at 16GB :(

You can get a sansa clip+ 8gb and add a 16gb micro sd card - that's 24gb, not 32gb but you can get the clip for about €50 and another €20 / 25 for the sd card. Has all the features that you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks for all the advice guys - think I'm gonna go for the Cowon J3 32GB as it has an SD slot and 16GB cards seem pretty cheap so there is a good option to upgrade size easily. Also the 64 hours battery life for music is too tempting! Where is the best place to get it? I am thinking Amazon or Advanced MP3 players? Any feedback inthis respect?

Cheers :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

There's also the £299 (GBP) Sony a847 available at amp3.co.uk, crazy price but it is 64gb's.

• Advertisement

Ah Mactard that is very tempting :(

I really can't decide between the sony and the cowon now - any ideas? I feel the cowon is probably a bit bigger which is a disadvantage as I only want it for music not video, but the battery life on the cowon is seriously better. Does anyone own either one, and would they recommend it?

Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Baza210 wrote: »
    Yep, your best bet is to get something with expandable memory. Although 32 GB microSD cards are fairly pricey at the mo.

Creative don't claim to support 32gb micro SD cards at any rate.

Morf wrote: »
    Creative don't claim to support 32gb micro SD cards at any rate.

I didn't even know Creative had a 32GB music player? I am pretty sure Cowon do support them, hopefully??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I didn't even know Creative had a 32GB music player? I am pretty sure Cowon do support them, hopefully??

Zen x-fi 2. In 32gb and 64gb. The cheapest 64gb player i've seen. I'm hoping to get one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Ah Mactard that is very tempting :(

I really can't decide between the sony and the cowon now - any ideas? I feel the cowon is probably a bit bigger which is a disadvantage as I only want it for music not video, but the battery life on the cowon is seriously better. Does anyone own either one, and would they recommend it?

Thanks guys :)

I've neither of them but Cowon are known for their music quality and battery life. If you only want a player for music playback I'd choose the Cowon just for its amazing battery.

However you can't go wrong with a Sansa Clip+, they are easily replaceable because of the price. They have a poor enough battery life ~11 hours but the SQ is great and exponentially better after rockboxing it and using the great equaliser that rockbox brings.

It all depends on how much you'd prefer to spend really.

Edit:Have a look for online reviews too, I know that anythingbutipod did one on the Cowon recently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement