Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermacs

Options
  • 13-11-2010 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Anyone know what happened in Supermacs in Tullamore today??? All closed up with Gardaí inside and signs on the windows saying 'Closed 'til Further Notice.'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Yea, heard a fish got battered.................Il get me coat:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Yea, heard a fish got battered.................Il get me coat:(
    :D

Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Heard it's closed for good now?

lizt wrote: »
    Heard it's closed for good now?

a disgrace, if ya ask me. the 'lads' have no where start fights now at half two on a saturday night.

Ah I'm sure they'll settle just nicely into Stabrakebabra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hmmmmm, another business in Tullamore bites the dust, WTF is going on in Tullamore, Main street should be renamed Tumbleweed road, and I hear through the grapevine Menarys is due to close before Christmas?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

its open :) under the new name of "spirals" which baffles me same people working there !!jus regular food though !!no more mighty mac meals or smokey bacon burger meals !!prices have also gone up

its open :) under the new name of "spirals" which baffles me same people working there !!jus regular food though !!no more mighty mac meals or smokey bacon burger meals !!prices have also gone up

Spirals? jezz if supermacs could not make a go of it, I reckon these new people have their work cut out? supermacs don't pull put of locations easily. Why were the gardai in there this morning with notices saying closed until further notice? seems a little bizzare?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Spiral has a restaurant now?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Ah hell the town is gone to wreck and ruin!!! its shocking... i will miss dodging rows outside supermacs thou!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I had food there last night and neither of us was impressed with the chips. They seem much more potato than flour/potato and, because of that, the ccoking time is probably too short. I rarely can say I had bad chips / grub, but can defo say I had it last night. Poxy is what it was. The other half didn't finish hers (plain chips); I just about managed mine because they were covered in sauce. Seemed like I was eating an old mowldy bag of Queen spuds....

I hope the team there do well and get their **** together. Last night was not something I'd want repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I had food there last night and neither of us was impressed with the chips. They seem much more potato than flour/potato and, because of that, the ccoking time is probably too short. I rarely can say I had bad chips / grub, but can defo say I had it last night. Poxy is what it was. The other half didn't finish hers (plain chips); I just about managed mine because they were covered in sauce. Seemed like I was eating an old mowldy bag of Queen spuds....

I hope the team there do well and get their **** together. Last night was not something I'd want repeated.

There are over 30 other chip shops in Tullamore so you won,t be stuck for your chips :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

as far as i know that supermacs was a franchise so maybe they didnt want to renew their agreement with Supermacs. (same guy that owns supermacs also owns main street). costs them between 5 to 10% of their turnover to use the name as a franchise.

as far as i know that supermacs was a franchise so maybe they didnt want to renew their agreement with Supermacs. (same guy that owns supermacs also owns main street). costs them between 5 to 10% of their turnover to use the name as a franchise.

I wonder though do they get more than 5-10% of their business because of the name. Supermacs is a real Irish success story and the name itself would attract a lot of custom. Time will be the judge if this is the case I suppose. I'm sure the owner has already considered all this before making the decision and obviously felt justified in make the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

IrishHomer wrote: »
    There are over 30 other chip shops in Tullamore so you won,t be stuck for your chips :P

I think you'd be lucky to name 10, buddy. 30 is not an exaggeration, its called horse****ting, with bells on ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

angelos... tasty takeaway, spirals. roma grill, macari's murselis... abrakebabra..mcdonalds.. burgerkin.. kfc...and the new chipper in main street.. thats all i can think of..so def nowhere near 30

I think he might have been including Chinese and Indian Restaurants into that but I still reckon he'd struggle to make 30

angelos... tasty takeaway, spirals. roma grill, macari's murselis... abrakebabra..mcdonalds.. burgerkin.. kfc...and the new chipper in main street.. thats all i can think of..so def nowhere near 30

Yes agreed,

I can not see Spirals working, whomever is behind it is very braze albeit they may not have rent to pay the supermacs franchise and its purchasing power helped it survive. WTF is the story with KFC, what a depressing state of affairs, I have rarely seen more than 2 people in there?

Not sure of the name of the takeaway at the top of Main Street (at the roundabout, heading towards the Birr road). Jesus, went in there last week, it was the worst take away i had, Burnt chips, soggy burger bun and the chap behind the counter had the personality of a wet rag. Absolute ****e.

Speaking of other restaurants, there was a creditors meeting for another well known restaurant on the New Main street (God these street names are confusing) I predict a few closures by or after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

Forgotten what I was going to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mburke

Spirals looks to have shut up shop, no signs saying spirals anymore.

• Advertisement

mburke wrote: »
    Spirals looks to have shut up shop, no signs saying spirals anymore.

Jezzz that did not last long? perhaps costs spiralled out of control?

I thought it was a bizzare move, seems alot of food businesses are suffering in Tullamore at the Mo!

I had noticed spirals shut down the upstairs immediately on opening

There's another family restuarant opened on main street alongside that awful looking **** hole the Central Hotel, jesus thats a rough looking hotel, i noticed over the xmas windows on the top floor left open for days on end with curtains blowing in the wind, looks like the new management have shut down a section of this place!

Good luck to the new place but jesus their brave whomever they are. Jamies have given up on sunday lunch also and only seem to open mid week!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I heard that supermacs are moving back in?

Spirals was awful anyway, went in after a night out, burger was disgusting and chips weren't' cooked

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

Can anybody remember the name of the restaurant/takeaway that was in the building prior to Supermac's please ? I heard also that Supermac's was opening up shortly.

lizt wrote: »
    I heard that supermacs are moving back in?

Spirals was awful anyway, went in after a night out, burger was disgusting and chips weren't' cooked

This is Bizarre although i did notice supermacs were looking for a general manager for a store in offaly. I reckon the landlord must be eating lots of Humble pie!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

i heard supermacs are moving back in :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Went to the Central Hotel there before Christmas with work group. Food was very good. But main street should just be closed, I hate it.

Back on topic - supermacs, hope they do some renovating if they re-open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cooleshall

Heard a rumour today that Supermacs was reopening but in a different building - the old ACC bacnk on the corner of William St/ Harbour St.

Cooleshall wrote: »
    Heard a rumour today that Supermacs was reopening but in a different building - the old ACC bacnk on the corner of William St/ Harbour St.

A, that would make more sense, i reckon there was a major bust up with their last landlord. Looks like they will be left with a big ugly building empty now that spirals appears to have failed miserably and only after a few weeks! Mad state of affairs!

Rarely used to eat there, except after the odd night out. they had a handy spot though, catching all the clubbers falling out off the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I would always bypass smacks in favour of the roma, best chipper in Tullamore. I used to love carters but they're long gone.
    Is tasty takeaway still on the go?

supermacs will always do well though IMO, pat mcdonagh launched the first one in ballinasloe in the middle of the recession in the 80s, now you have them in every small town in Ireland, shannonbridge which I discovered on the way home from galway one winters evening some years ago which resulted in me nearly crashing the car!:D

they even have supermacs on the aran islands!!!

Advertisement