Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermacs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Yeah, tasty take away is still on the go, it's my favourite.

I'd be surprised if Supermacs doesn't reopen, it seemed to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I dunno, this bizzare sudden closure and then spirals opening and closing in a matter of weeks, then the news Supermacs are possibly taking over the ACC building (which would not be as ideal as their old site) baffles me.

I love to know WTF happened or indeed whats going on?

The supermacs website continued and continues to list a tullamore branch?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I heard rumours it was over rent or how much the person had to pay for the franchise?

lizt wrote: »
    I heard rumours it was over rent or how much the person had to pay for the franchise?

I heard this too but was'nt sure, I wonder will supermacs retain good will if they do return? Never once set foot in the place, Mc Donalds and Burgerking to handy to get too!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

definetly opening back up !!look at this link looking for managers !!
    http://jobsearch.monster.ie/Search.aspx?cy=ie&where=offaly

• Advertisement

definetly opening back up !!look at this link looking for managers !!
    http://jobsearch.monster.ie/Search.aspx?cy=ie&where=offaly

I would not take much notice of this, firstly supermacs have a number of branches in Offaly and secondly they are continously advertising for staff, infact this company pretty much takes up the entire Hotel & catering positions on www.irishjobs.ie most of which are up for months on end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

where is the ACC building?

magentas wrote: »
    where is the ACC building?

ACC bank on the corner of William St/ Harbour St i assume. I am not sure about this though, it would seem a bad location, i have a feeling the ladlord of their previous store went back to supermacs groveling for them to return whilst eating lots of humble pie, that is of course if supermacs is returning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Going through Tullamore this morning at 8:30, and the massive supermacs lorry looked like it was doing a delivery to there. It was parked on the one way street, right outside teh door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Dempo1 wrote: »
    ACC bank on the corner of William St/ Harbour St i assume. I am not sure about this though, it would seem a bad location, i have a feeling the ladlord of their previous store went back to supermacs groveling for them to return whilst eating lots of humble pie, that is of course if supermacs is returning!

As far as I remember Pat McDonagh actually owns that building...so supermacs are the owner but it was franchised out??? maybe they are opening up again but under direct ownership.. any I stand to be corrected.

• Advertisement

As far as I remember Pat McDonagh actually owns that building...so supermacs are the owner but it was franchised out??? maybe they are opening up again but under direct ownership.. any I stand to be corrected.

I'm confused now, are you saying Pat Mc Donagh owns the ACC building or the previous building (spirals) where supermacs traded?

It would be even more bizarre if Pat owned the building supermacs were trading out of given its sudden closure? surely if there were franchise difficulties would it not have been more sensible and indeed less costly just to buy out the franchisee or just run it himself as he does some of his restaurants? Just a thought but supermacs sudden closure could be perceived as a PR disaster.

If for example supermacs does own the ACC building, indeed even if it does not, the cost of fit out will be enormous, running into 100's of thousands i would think.

My gut feeling is Supermacs may not have owned the building they were in and more likely had a long lease with the landlord being the franchisee? and perhaps they fell out?

Either way its been a costly falling out and re development if it is to happen!

I too stand to be corrected!:rolleyes:

sorry should have clarified... the supermacs building...but i stand corrected if he dosent..

sorry should have clarified... the supermacs building...but i stand corrected if he dosent..

No apology needed, if its the case Pat owns the building it really is a bizzare state of affairs this situation was allowed to happen. That said the Tenant probably had him over a barrell with a long lease. I have not been in Tullamore for a few days, is there any update on movement down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

the premises seems to have been completely gutted when i walked by yesterday tables chairs counters evrything taken out:rolleyes:

the premises seems to have been completely gutted when i walked by yesterday tables chairs counters evrything taken out:rolleyes:

Mad or what? another poster said there was a supermacs delivery van outside the other day? was it infact a supermac's removal van? Jesus i would love to know WTF is going on. I feel sorry for the staff who must be caught up in the middle of this debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

I heard last week on the grapevine he bought the building recently, as in since Christmas and will be opening up soon.

I heard last week on the grapevine he bought the building recently, as in since Christmas and will be opening up soon.

Hell hat no fury like a Burger Tycoon scorned! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

i thought tom texas owned that place:confused:

Dusty87 wrote: »

Hmmmmm, that would make this a little more intriguing. Whatever happened there must have been a major falling out for supermacs to suddenly close and now possibly re open?

not fully...like main street pat mcdonagh and tom texas(a very small partner)own it...but basically its pat mcdonaghs now if what the rumors are saying are true...

• Advertisement

not fully...like main street pat mcdonagh and tom texas(a very small partner)own it...but basically its pat mcdonaghs now if what the rumors are saying are true...

I'd heard Texas Tom had off loaded a pile of property (including the bently). I have to say the one thing i really miss in tullamore was the texas store, it was brill (apart from the ****ty coffee shop)

Poping into tullamore later, have to take a look at the supermacs building, the entire saga is still an expensive mystery whomever is behind it! They could not have picked a worse time to be gutting a buidling never mind revamping and re launching supermacs if this is indeed what is happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Dempo1 wrote: »
    They could not have picked a worse time to be gutting a buidling never mind revamping and re launching supermacs if this is indeed what is happening!

Why? I bet its a good lot cheaper to do it at today's labour rates than it would be five years ago. Its a bad time to get credit, but its an excellent time to build. People are cutting each others throats at the moment for work so its a good time to be looking for work done.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Why? I bet its a good lot cheaper to do it at today's labour rates than it would be five years ago. Its a bad time to get credit, but its an excellent time to build. People are cutting each others throats at the moment for work so its a good time to be looking for work done.

Yes agreed re Building costs but i was referring to business climate particularly the food sector. Tullamore in particular seems to have an inordinate amount of restaurants, takeaways, bars serving food, sandwich joints, coffee shops etc. I just wondered is there really room or all these business's. The town has been like a ghost town since Christmas. Don't get me wrong, i admire anyone opening a business in the current climate but in the food sector they are brave indeed. I also wondered how well Supermacs was really doing. If it was doing well why in heavens name was it permitted to close, then re open under a different name with the upstairs completely shut up? Eitherway the entire saga just seems to be an expensive debacle and i reckon it will take quite some time to recover its costs and indeed business (that's of course if it is Supermacs reopening)

One final point, i do hope that whomever is being brought in for the rebuild will be local contractors, I hope the disgraceful saga at Aldi will not be repeated whereby a Donegal contractor was engaged to build the new store, they in turn hired local sub contractors and then duly ****ed off leaving local plumbers, electricians, painters etc high and dry having been paid by Aldi!

That texas tom, he's craaaaazy! Jesus il get me boat. My ears bled everytime i heard that add.

Ok just got the inside scoop from a girl who work in superscraps in portlaoise. Seemingly there were issues with the manager, not making enough profit, health and safety issues etc, and wanted him out. He wouldn oblige and thats where all this is coming from. The supermacs name taken down etc. Didn hear about it reopening or anything yet.

Ok just got the inside scoop from a girl who work in superscraps in portlaoise. Seemingly there were issues with the manager, not making enough profit, health and safety issues etc, and wanted him out. He wouldn oblige and thats where all this is coming from. The supermacs name taken down etc. Didn hear about it reopening or anything yet.

Hmmmmm and intriguing development, this said and whilst not wishing to doubt the source its seems highly unlikely Supermacs would close a major branch, permit a new re branded business (spirals) open on its site "only to have it close less than a month later) and then have to face a major revamp or gutting of the premises over the performance or lack of a Manager.

Jesus if that was the case it would have been far less expensive to dismiss the Manager and i reckon supermacs must have contractual obligations contained in all there management employee contractors. I suspect this saga is more to do with a major dispute between supermacs and whomever was the franchisee. It is also becoming apparent Pat Mc Donagh either owned or part owned the property and this makes this situation all the more bizarre.

Just say the manager was renting the supermacs name though. They wanted him to step down, he wouldn, so they pulled the plug on the contract, he then re opened as spirals??

Just say the manager was renting the supermacs name though. They wanted him to step down, he wouldn, so they pulled the plug on the contract, he then re opened as spirals??

Yes agreed but in this situation the Manager would have been the Franchisee and this in itself would lead to major legal obstacles. The Franchisee not only has to pay a percentage of profits to Supermacs but also must purchase all products through supermacs. Profits would be the responsibility of Management/Franchisee and i suspect what may have happened was the Franchisee basically told supermacs to **** off, they in turn issued proceedings and the result a complete mess. I could be wrong but it seem likely this is what has happened. The situation is made all the more complicated if infact Pat Mc Donagh (supermacs) is the landlord of the property although if this is the case there is no way in hell he would have permitted Spirals to open in the first place! very confusing state of affairs!

I know another franchisee with Supermacs and they are struggling, business is steady but franchise fees and obligations are crucifying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

lizt wrote: »
    Yeah, tasty take away is still on the go, it's my favourite.

I'd be surprised if Supermacs doesn't reopen, it seemed to do well.

Tasty take away is the biz, i heard Supermacs closed because they could not pay the franchise fee, i also heard the other day that they will be opening where the old ACC Bank used to be as said above. I didn't find Spirals that bad though and it seemed to be as busy as ever, i was drunk so i may be wrong.

• Advertisement

MOG7 wrote: »
    Tasty take away is the biz, i heard Supermacs closed because they could not pay the franchise fee, i also heard the other day that they will be opening where the old ACC Bank used to be as said above. I didn't find Spirals that bad though and it seemed to be as busy as ever, i was drunk so i may be wrong.

i think we were all drunk in there in fairness. I never ate there sober actually

Advertisement