Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermacs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The Plot thickens, found out yesterday that the franchisee was purchasing products outside the agreed terms and conditions (namely all products had to be purchased through Supermacs). Supermacs in turn threatened legal action, the franchisee told them to **** off and within a month supermacs pulled the plug. There is no doubt lots of franchises are in trouble, its difficult enough to trade in the current climate but then having to share profits and be tied to purchasing agreements (probably higher than free market), its no wonder the saga happened.

What intrigues me is why the Gutting of the premises? if supermacs are returning, would it not have been the case of a simple decorating, revamp? from what i saw yesterday the place has been pulled apart. It could be the case the franchisee owned the equipment and they decided to rip it out?

What a mess!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I was in Tullamore yesterday and it was quite busy for this time in January. Generally nobody has a bob to spend at this time of the year.

I have no idea what is going on with Supermacs/Spirals but I did see a guy who looked like a decorator/painter going in there yesterday and there seems to be a few work crews about the place. I know some buildings have changed ownership on main st and since this is a Tom McNamara (Texas) and Pat McDonnagh owned area you never know what is changing about the place. I was talking to a guy in one of the business on main st and he was saying that a bridge was promised linking the bridge car park and the area beside xtra vision. I think that would help a bit if it ever went in as people would start using the multistory car park more for the bridge center.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

RE Dempo1

Maybe it's sublet. If Tom McNamara owns the building and leased it to someone who in turn screwed up with supermacs, they way have bailed on the lease and it's starting a fresh.

TomTom wrote: »
    RE Dempo1

Maybe it's sublet. If Tom McNamara owns the building and leased it to someone who in turn screwed up with supermacs, they way have bailed on the lease and it's starting a fresh.

Perhaps but i got the impression Pat Mc Donagh (supermacs) had either an interest in or owned this property which would make some sense given the estimated €150k it costs just to fit out a supermacs kitchen. This said the sudden evacuation and gutting of the premises seems to suggest Pat Mc Donagh has in fact no interest in this property because if he did, there is noway he would have permitted things to go this far.

Any development of a new site, particularly the ACC building, if true is going to cost an arm and a leg to fit out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

sign on the window today saying reopening soon. and there is great work going on refurbishing it. my bet is its going to open under direct control of supermacs and not be a franchise..as Pat McDonagh owns the building he can rent it to himself:D

• Advertisement

sign on the window today saying reopening soon. and there is great work going on refurbishing it. my bet is its going to open under direct control of supermacs and not be a franchise..as Pat McDonagh owns the building he can rent it to himself:D

Yes indeed, looking well, spotted the renovations over the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Wahoo bring back supermacs :-) :-) :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Town just looks so sad dead and empty without supermacs. I was in the clothes line yesterday evening, came out and looked over and it was in complete darkness. Weird.

Tis a wonder brian cowen wasn't blamed for supermacs closing - yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Tis a wonder brian cowen wasn't blamed for supermacs closing - yet.

wait until this thread is seen. Im sure a certain poster wil be in:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Just back from supermacs...yummy yum yum is all i have to say! lets hope its stays like that :-)

Papa johns. Hot muffin and ice cream. My life is now complete again.

Papa johns. Hot muffin and ice cream. My life is now complete again.

Oh stop, had a chicken breast sandwich meal...man i so missed them! had no room for muffins or ice-cream :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Is excellent ! my weekends make sense again :-D

But the chips are still brutal?? They're not the old ones, they're the ones that Spirals were using. Brutal

Dusty87 wrote: »
    wait until this thread is seen. Im sure a certain poster wil be in:rolleyes:

Why would Biffo close down Supermacs - I'd say that he is a very loyal customer of said establishment going by the considerable girth of his waist.

No id say he more of a tasty takeaway fan glasso. Maybe you were involved in closing it? We know your problem wit fat people;):)

Im craving a hot muffin and icecream like CRAZY. I'd go as far as saying I need it. I'd feel like a pig going in for that. Its a shame we don't have a drive thru. I'm considering driving to Portlaoise for one (or two) through the drivethrough, so i can be a pig in private. :D

Glad to hear Supermacs has re opened, just wondered did any of the old staff retain their Jobs? Hopefully!:)

Did anyone get the little voucher booklet in the door today? Some decent offers in it:) hopefully some of the old staff got back in. Be lousy if they didn in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Chelseachick

Quazzie wrote: »
    I wonder though do they get more than 5-10% of their business because of the name. Supermacs is a real Irish success story and the name itself would attract a lot of custom. Time will be the judge if this is the case I suppose. I'm sure the owner has already considered all this before making the decision and obviously felt justified in make the decision.

Well guy's - just to let you all know and take you out of your misery! Supermac's in Tullamore is re-opened under new management and it 10 times better than before. You can't kill a bad thing! Well done to Pat Mc & gang and best of luck to Ciaran Stewart new franchisee and manager of Supermac's in Tullamore!!!! :):):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Well guy's - just to let you all know and take you out of your misery! Supermac's in Tullamore is re-opened under new management and it 10 times better than before. You can't kill a bad thing! Well done to Pat Mc & gang and best of luck to Ciaran Stewart new franchisee and manager of Supermac's in Tullamore!!!! :):):):):)

I think we all knew that.

Defo agree with you, ten times better,than before....... best of luck supermacs tullamore!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

Im really liking the Offaly GAA mural upstairs, its a nice touch. Theres a great on of McMAnus against Down last year too

Advertisement