Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misty floyd Training Log

Options
  • 13-11-2010 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hello Comrades.
    With DCM complete and a wedding this Feb, I need to keep a log to help maintain (and improve) fitness, get over an injury (nerve tension in right hamstring) and have a stab at a shorter race in January.

I'm also doing the marathontalk push up challenge. Goal is to get to 3x100 :eek: You start off at 3x1, next day 3x2 and so on. Doesn't have to be everyday and I'd say when it gets up to ~3x15 there will be lots of days off. Its just a bit of craic with some of the lads in work and I'm crap at push ups so all good.

Injury + Fast = still injured. So I'm taking 2 weeks of no running.

After this 3 months I'll be on holiday for 3 weeks and when I get back its DCM 2011.

Running since DCM.
    I had about 5 days of no running, then a week of ~33m with an 11m.

Plan.
    As I said, 2 weeks of no running. I should have had a few weeks off after the marathon. I've this problem since May and I feel like a couple of weeks of no impact will help. For the next two weeks I'm going to use the gym and swimming pool and I hope to keep up some swimming and weights.

Thurs 11th Nov
    - Exercises that the physio gave me. These include different types of exercise like Lunge, core, step ups and various others. Its boring and I'm a bit wobbly doing them. Days after I'm sore but I'll get used to it.
    - 13km on the bike (25km p/h)...nice and easy.
    - 20 lengths of a 20m pool (front crawl and breast). Last time I swam was over a year ago. Enjoyed that.
    - 3x6 push ups

Fri 12th Nov

- Stetch
    - Biceps/shoulders
    - Rowing machine 2000m fast for the craic.
    - 3x7 push ups
    - 15 lenghts of pool

Sat 13th Nov
    - 3x8 push ups
    - 50 minute spin class. Holy **** that was torture. I walked in there thinking I was the business but half way into it I was cursing the guy doing the class. The bastid, it was tough but good to get the heart going again.
    - Stretch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Best of luck with the new log and training goals and hopefully it won't be long before you're right as rain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best of luck with the Goals MF. What did you do the 2k ergo in? Ha ha I have a mini push ups challenge going in my log too fro the alst 2 weeks for a bit of craic over the winter. My goal was to get to 150 straight but 3*100 is hardcore :eek: In order to achieve that you would need to be able to crank out a set of 180-200 in one go! Best of luck with it, a runner who can do 300 puch ups, now that would be novel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

ULstudent wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new log and training goals and hopefully it won't be long before you're right as rain

Cheers UL. I'll be flying soon, don't worry. Enjoying different stuff to be honest. Gotta say thought you trainers are cruel. Don't you take spin classes? Torture!
    Best of luck with the Goals MF. What did you do the 2k ergo in? Ha ha I have a mini push ups challenge going in my log too fro the alst 2 weeks for a bit of craic over the winter. My goal was to get to 150 straight but 3*100 is hardcore :eek: In order to achieve that you would need to be able to crank out a set of 180-200 in one go! Best of luck with it, a runner who can do 300 puch ups, now that would be novel :D

Cheers mcos. Ergo? Is that another name for the rowing machine? I really can't remember and wasn't looking at time. Its nice to not give a sh!t. Yeah I have no confidence in myself to hit 3x100 but it'll be interesting to see how it goes. I'm crap at them and I'd be delighted to hit 3x40 even. Lets see.

Sun 15th Nov
    Rest. Hungover. Upper Body was dead sore from the spin class anyway.

Mon 16th Nov
    - push ups 3x9
    - Physio exercises. zzzzzzzzzzzz Takes about 35 minutes.
    - Stretch
    - 1 hour on the stationary bike (28.7km's). I actually really enjoyed that

Don't you take spin classes? Torture!

I teach them :pac:

ULstudent wrote: »
    I teach them :pac:
    thats what I meant. When doing a class, do you use the same settings/numbers as the class? I was looking at the instructor the other day and he barely broke a sweat.

• Advertisement

thats what I meant. When doing a class, do you use the same settings/numbers as the class? I was looking at the instructor the other day and he barely broke a sweat.

It depends - general rule of thumb: no. I like to get my class working hard. Exam[le - I teach a 'race day' spin and a 'hill' spin. If im working as hard as them i wouldn't be able to watch everyones technique, the beginners, make sure that people are working at the zone/HR that they should be at etc. I will always be sweating though. Have to give the class the impression that i am doing it with them.

There is one class i take though on thurs eve that has the same people every week and they are going it a long time and some are cyclists that don't train as much on the roads during the winter - all of them fair fit and we all know each other well enough. In this instance i work pretty hard along woth the class but not so hard that i can't cue the class, give direction, visualisation etc

Lots of instrucers have different styles i suppose. I know one girl who uses the class she teaches as a workout for herself, at the same time neglecting the class itself for the most part. She's not that popular as you can imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

1 hour on the stationary bike (28.7km's). I actually really enjoyed that

You can make things really interesting on the stationary bike and do timetrials. Tough as f u c k but will keep the heart and lungs in good nick for when you do return to hard running. Try doing a 20km time trial where you're aiming to do the 20kms in under 30mins. I dont know what the settings are like on your stationary bike but I put the one in my gym at level 7 and hold the rpms at 130 for the 20km. Its like a tempo run on the bike. Bring a towel, you'll sweat buckets. To make it even more interesting you could try a 40km time trial where the aim is to do it under 60mins, again at level 7 or above.

Check this out dude, from the cycling forum, hilarious:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056095015

tunguska wrote: »
    Check this out dude, from the cycling forum, hilarious:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056095015

ha ha thats brilliant and well written. I like this reply too:
    He was fitter than you, you clung to his wheel and when given the opportunity you gassed, let it go! Find a weaker opponent!

Haven't been arsed updating this in the last two weeks. After more than a week off from running I got a half decent week in last week:
    • Mon 22nd Nov: 5m easy
    • Tues 23rd Nov: 5x900m's at the club. First three were around 3:02. Last two probably 3:10. Man I was fecked and ended up at the back of the pack but great to get out there and knock off the cobwebs. Niggles, no more than that...nice one.
    • Wed 24th Nov: 5m easy
    • Thurs 25th Nov: Day off. Got very drunk, really dumb.
    • Fri 26th Nov: Worst hangover. Jesus that was the longest day I've ever had in work.
    • Sat 27th Nov: 6.2m (treadmill) easy.
    • Sun 28th Nov 10m easy on treadmill. Nice one.

32m total for week.

Mon 29th Nov
    Dentist. Skip day.

Tues 30th Nov
    5km PB :D.....but not in a race..........and on a treadmill :o 17:44. That was hard but I enjoyed it and if the snow carry's on I'll try beat that next week. 2km warm up/2km warm down

Wed 1st Dec
    5m easy on treadmill with 2km decent incline & push ups. 3x17.

I'm not running in the snow. I've no target race really so feck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Hi Misty,
    Good to see you back pushing and all sorts of bounderies! I had started to do some core work a few wks back and fcukd up my stomach, so now I'm afraid to go near anything. I thik you've encouraged me to try a few push ups later though :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Tues 30th Nov
    5km PB :D.....but not in a race..........and on a treadmill :o 17:44.

thats quick! what speed average is that in km/hr?

i tried to run on a tredmill this week also and found it VERY hard at 8:00m/m pace.....how do you find it?
    i used to run a lot on tredmills but thinking back i reckon the calibration was fecked on that one as i was able to easily run at 20km/hr for a min odd in intervals....can barely do 30sec 20km/hr intervals now!!!

your tipping away, good job mate....i guess waterford half is off the cards? any interest in the southern 10m series?

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Hi Misty,
    Good to see you back pushing and all sorts of bounderies! I had started to do some core work a few wks back and fcukd up my stomach, so now I'm afraid to go near anything. I thik you've encouraged me to try a few push ups later though :-)

howdy Speedy. Yeah was that from the trapped wind thing? Everything good since that? I have to say that push up challenge is great. I'm great at avoiding push ups or anything like that. This way I'm getting loads of them done, which is great.
    seanynova wrote: »
    thats quick! what speed average is that in km/hr?

i tried to run on a tredmill this week also and found it VERY hard at 8:00m/m pace.....how do you find it?
    i used to run a lot on tredmills but thinking back i reckon the calibration was fecked on that one as i was able to easily run at 20km/hr for a min odd in intervals....can barely do 30sec 20km/hr intervals now!!!

your tipping away, good job mate....i guess waterford half is off the cards? any interest in the southern 10m series?

Howya Sean. Thats 16.9km/hr. I was belting along making lots of noise on it and getting lots of looks from people. I spotted a guy in the mirror looking over my shoulder to see how fast I was going :D Its a good treadmill I have to add. You brought up calibration. Don't know why you thought of that......you're not suggesting its wrong are you :D Funny enough the gym is in work and they have a calibration sticker on the weighing scales. I should contact the calibration lab to get them to look at the treadies ;)

I'm not going to do waterford or the 10m no, are you? How's training and college? I'm mad busy in work and organising the wedding with the missus. Just ticking over with training, doing whatever...its great. Hope you are going well.

howdy Speedy. Yeah was that from the trapped wind thing? Everything good since that? I have to say that push up challenge is great. I'm great at avoiding push ups or anything like that. This way I'm getting loads of them done, which is great.

Howya Sean. Thats 16.9km/hr. I was belting along making lots of noise on it and getting lots of looks from people. I spotted a guy in the mirror looking over my shoulder to see how fast I was going :D Its a good treadmill I have to add. You brought up calibration. Don't know why you thought of that......you're not suggesting its wrong are you :D Funny enough the gym is in work and they have a calibration sticker on the weighing scales. I should contact the calibration lab to get them to look at the treadies ;)

I'm not going to do waterford or the 10m no, are you? How's training and college? I'm mad busy in work and organising the wedding with the missus. Just ticking over with training, doing whatever...its great. Hope you are going well.

ah no, you got me wrong....only brought up calibration as i used to run on a tredmill before, and i was doing something like 1min @16km/hr, and then 25sec @20km/hr, 35sec @16km/hr thereafter until 5k was up....think 5k worked out like 15:XX or 16:XX(cant remember)....but this week i did reps of 200m @ 20km/hr (4:50m/m!) and coud barely do 10 of em!!! so i know the old tredmill i used was not right....not saying your is out though.

17km/hr is moving man! thats good stuff, i cant seam to run on the tredmill anymore, find it very difficult even to run at 8:00m/m pace (this fancy CIT tredmill has km/hr, m/hr, min/km pace, min/m pace etc etc....)

will do the dungarvan 10, but not too optimistic as of yet, we are off in january so ill get loads of mileage in then weather permitting!

id bet things are busy for you alright, everything planning out ok? if ya need any info on SE Asia(?), i spent a bit of time there a few years back so might be able to help ya out with info or whatever....

ah no, you got me wrong....only brought up calibration as i used to run on a tredmill before, and i was doing something like 1min @16km/hr, and then 25sec @20km/hr, 35sec @16km/hr thereafter until 5k was up....think 5k worked out like 15:XX or 16:XX(cant remember)....but this week i did reps of 200m @ 20km/hr (4:50m/m!) and coud barely do 10 of em!!! so i know the old tredmill i used was not right....not saying your is out though.

17km/hr is moving man! thats good stuff, i cant seam to run on the tredmill anymore, find it very difficult even to run at 8:00m/m pace (this fancy CIT tredmill has km/hr, m/hr, min/km pace, min/m pace etc etc....)

will do the dungarvan 10, but not too optimistic as of yet, we are off in january so ill get loads of mileage in then weather permitting!

id bet things are busy for you alright, everything planning out ok? if ya need any info on SE Asia(?), i spent a bit of time there a few years back so might be able to help ya out with info or whatever....

ah I was only messing with ya. Sure I'd imagine the error on tm is something else. Doing those 200m sprints on the tm would be a pain having to reach over for the speed buttons. So long as you're getting some mileage in, your not going loose too much fitness surely? I heard Dungarvan is a brilliant race. I think thats the same weekend as my stag, wkend of 28th Jan?
    Yeah the planning is going well, finally got a hotel that would accept 26 lads for a stag and other things are falling into place. I'll be annoying you for info on Tailand if you've been there.

Happy Friday!

Fri 3rd Dec

10.2km on treadmill.
    2km easy
    2km @ 6:50m/m
    4.5km @ 6:26m/m
    1.5km @ 6:00m/m

Nice little session.

3x18 press ups. That was a struggle for the last 8.

Sat 4th Dec
    4m easy on treadmill. Very little sleep night before. Didn't feel it.

Sun 5th Dec
    10.7m easy on Treadmill.

31m for week.

Mon 6th Dec
    10km easy treadmill. More snow falling out there. Crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

You seem to be ticking over nicely Andy, are you running the national novice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

heffsarmy wrote: »

don't mean to hijack your posting Misty, but I'd be inerested to see if your running the Novice as well.I'm thinking about doing it, but will probably only do it if the club have a team going up, should know tomorrow at the club session, if that goes ahead :rolleyes:

Bit off topic but I know you'd be interested, looks good...........

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056113109

Speedy44 wrote: »
    don't mean to hijack your posting Misty, but I'd be inerested to see if your running the Novice as well.I'm thinking about doing it, but will probably only do it if the club have a team going up, should know tomorrow at the club session, if that goes ahead :rolleyes:

Howya Lads. I'm not sure about the novice. We have a club race this saturday to see who will make the teams to I'm not sure I'd make it. Maybe I could do it but not be part of a team? Not sure how it works but if I could do that I might. Is it in Roscomon lads?

Heff, hows the knee? How long will you be out. I suppose now is a good time to be out.

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Bit off topic but I know you'd be interested, looks good...........

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056113109

Thanks for that. I'll watch it if I'm around. I did see a really good doc on that before but this seems to be new.

Tues 7th Dec
    2km easy
    5km in 18:50
    2km easy
    Did this last week on a different treadmill in 17:44. Tonights time makes more sence but I was feeling a little tired even during the 2km warm up.

3x20 push ups.

Maybe I could do it but not be part of a team? Not sure how it works but if I could do that I might. Is it in Roscomon lads?

Heff, hows the knee? How long will you be out. I suppose now is a good time to be out.

Andy you'd get on the team, there are 2 teams as far I know, I think its in Tullamore. The knee is gettin alot better, doing loads of core excercises and cycling on the turbo, to be honest its a blessing in disguise not having to run on the ice. I might wait till the new year too get back running, see what the physio says. I'm still doing the push up challenge, up to 32 gettin harder.

Andy you'd get on the team, there are 2 teams as far I know, I think its in Tullamore. The knee is gettin alot better, doing loads of core excercises and cycling on the turbo, to be honest its a blessing in disguise not having to run on the ice. I might wait till the new year too get back running, see what the physio says. I'm still doing the push up challenge, up to 32 gettin harder.

Great to hear. Marathon after marathon too, good to chill out. Not sure what to do now regards racing. I keep changing my mind.

32, fair play to ya. I'm only on 3x21 and I'm wobbling the last 5 or so. Couldn't do 3x13 not so long ago.

. Not sure what to do now regards racing. I keep changing my mind.

32, fair play to ya. I'm only on 3x21 and I'm wobbling the last 5 or so. Couldn't do 3x13 not so long ago.

You should do the race, a good blow out if nothing else. The push up challenge is good, I thought 18 was hard when I started but now 18 is a piece off piss.

Wed 8th Dec
    10km easy on treadmill

Thurs 9th Dec
    Busy day, couldn't make gym.

Fri 10th Dec
    Hungover, xmas party.

Sat 11th Dec
    Club race in Phoenix. 5km cross country That link isn't much use, I forgot to put on the auto lap and it would have been nice to see my splits.
    Conditions were poor, lots of mud and puddles but it made for an enjoyable race. Time was 19:21. Felt like I ran well all the way around. I think I finished 12th out of 33. No better way to shake the cobwebs off after the ice and snow. Need to get some speed work done.

I'm looking forward to doing more shorter stuff. I mean, its torture from start to finish but some buzz at the end. Love it.

Sun 12th Dec
    Zero miles.

Mon 13th Dec
    12.4m easy this evening in P park. Great to get out for that.

3x25 pushups

Tues 14th Dec
    5m easy

Wed 15th Dec
    Decided to do a few 400s. Don't know why. I set up the garmin for intervals.
    2m warm up
    8x400s with 1.30 jog in between.
    1.5m cool down.
    6.7m total miles run

Gave these a good effort. I was looking forward to plugging in the Garmin to check the times. I thought they'd be decent....only had to do eight after all. Crap times around 80 - 90s, ah well, I thought I was fitter than that. I could do with a road race to get a proper idea of where I stand. Link.

3x26 pushups

im did something similar recently, and took 4min recovery between each rep....the plan is to jog/rec for 400m but maybe im gonig a bit too slow...still each rep is killer!

after a few more of em they will get a little easier or even try 200m reps (also in my programme)

edit: just saw the splits there, 5:30m/m pace is fast for intervals!!

im did something similar recently, and took 4min recovery between each rep....the plan is to jog/rec for 400m but maybe im gonig a bit too slow...still each rep is killer!

after a few more of em they will get a little easier or even try 200m reps (also in my programme)

edit: just saw the splits there, 5:30m/m pace is fast for intervals!!

I hope they get easier. I was able to run 14 of them not so long ago around the 80s region. The legs don't know whats going on :D I saw your targets for 2011 post there Seany. Gauranteed 10km PB next time you race one of them. Even in the ice, you'd beat that.

• Advertisement

Thurs 16th Dec
    With lots on my mind, I left the house not knowing what to do. One slow mile later, I was feeling cold so picked up the pace and ended up doing a half decent 8m run (medium effort). Ave pace 7:19m/m. Reallly enjoyed it.

3x27 push ups. Trying to concentrate on tightening my abs. The pace of these has increased...it had to.

Advertisement