Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misty floyd Training Log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

I hope they get easier. I was able to run 14 of them not so long ago around the 80s region. The legs don't know whats going on :D I saw your targets for 2011 post there Seany. Gauranteed 10km PB next time you race one of them. Even in the ice, you'd beat that.

they are fairly ambitious but sure you might as well have a goal to aim at....will work on the 10k/10m this spring and if they go well(or even close to the goal) then i think an autumn marathon could be on the cards with the cork half as a fitness test again.

saw your plan on the sub2:45 thread (good idea for a thread), your doing a good plan without a goal race (yet!) basically you will be stong enough for the longer races like 10m, halfs, marathons with speed for shorter stuff(?) so happy days! best of luck with the training...ill start a log in jan when i get back from the hols after exams! (only 2 to go!) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Ah best of luck with the rest of the exams. Great to get them out of the way before xmas and its good to hear you’ll set up a log in Jan.

Re goal race. It’ll be DCM again for me and I’ll probably do the addidas series again. Up to July I’ll enter some shorter stuff and work on that. It’s a busy year but I want to keep ticking over at least. If I don’t chat to ya, enjoy the break.

Fri 17th Dec
    4.2m easy. I bonked on this one. Was very tempted to walk the last mile but the cold stopped me. Silly going out hungry.

Sat 18th Dec
    Felt guilty lazing around all day so went to the gym.
    30mins on bike ~15km
    5km on treadmill easy
    10mins swim
    3x28 push ups

Sun 19th Dec
    10.3m easy. Very cold starting off, really nice run.
    3x29 push ups

Total for week: 49.4 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Fri 17th Dec
    4.2m easy. I bonked on this one. Was very tempted to walk the last mile but the cold stopped me. Silly going out hungry.

Sat 18th Dec
    Felt guilty lazing around all day so went to the gym.
    30mins on bike ~15km
    5km on treadmill easy
    10mins swim
    3x28 push ups

Sun 19th Dec
    10.3m easy. Very cold starting off, really nice run.
    3x29 push ups

Total for week: 49.4 miles

nice mileage Misty, considering all the obstacles Mother Nature insists on continuing to throw at us :(

Speedy44 wrote: »
    nice mileage Misty, considering all the obstacles Mother Nature insists on continuing to throw at us :(

Yeah the snow over here (Dublin/North Kildare) is nothing really. A bit of dandruff compared to what it was.

You got a good week yourself. We will be seeing great stuff from you 2011, you're flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Ah best of luck with the rest of the exams. Great to get them out of the way before xmas and its good to hear you’ll set up a log in Jan.

Re goal race. It’ll be DCM again for me and I’ll probably do the addidas series again. Up to July I’ll enter some shorter stuff and work on that. It’s a busy year but I want to keep ticking over at least. If I don’t chat to ya, enjoy the break.

1 to go!

take it handy over crimbo lad, enjoy it, and maybe take it easy on the push-ups too! i can only do about 10 haha....you sure your not on the juice? :D

i really should read the push-up thread but havent had the time, what do you stand to gain with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Misty,

Good race yesterday - great pic of you on Racepix!

Happy New Year and good luck with all the goals. Like you DCM will be a major goal for me, here's hoping for good weather 4 years in a row!

seanynova wrote: »
    1 to go!

take it handy over crimbo lad, enjoy it, and maybe take it easy on the push-ups too! i can only do about 10 haha....you sure your not on the juice? :D

i really should read the push-up thread but havent had the time, what do you stand to gain with them?

:D trust me, you'll be upto 30x3 pushups in no time. I'm crap at them but I've got upto 3x33 now. I think it helps doing some kind of upper body work but I'm also doing these trying to get some focus on the abs. So its strengthening the shoulders, chest, stomach and whatever that area is beside the ribs. I did a cross country race and I think it helped lugging through the mud. Genuinely think it helps the running. Its a great way to actually do some upper & core work as I'm brutal for skipping doing those sessions.
    aero2k wrote: »
    Hi Misty,

Good race yesterday - great pic of you on Racepix!

Happy New Year and good luck with all the goals. Like you DCM will be a major goal for me, here's hoping for good weather 4 years in a row!

Hey Aero and a happy new year to you too. Good to hear you are going for DCM this year. Are you going to focus on shorter stuff like 5k's for now? whats the general plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

:
    Hey Aero and a happy new year to you too. Good to hear you are going for DCM this year. Are you going to focus on shorter stuff like 5k's for now? whats the general plan?

Well, the general plan was to try to follow Daniels elite plan - obviously adjusted for pace and time - but it does look like a tall order. Anytime recently I've tried a hard session, it's seemed like very hard work. The 5k races were sort of a sneaky way to get a fast tempo run in! It's hard to figure out, the other day I struggled to run a mile in 6:20 in training, and yet in a race 5:40 pace felt ok, if not exactly easy. At any rate my schedule will include two hard sessions per week, one with some tempo miles and a longer run with some PMP miles. I'll probably try to alternate weeks with the long runs say 12-18-14-20 or something like that.

I may even post a few updates on my log!

Haven't been great updating this log and that reflects the slap dash attitude with training over the last couple of weeks. Too many days lost with hangovers. Have been constructive in other ways though so all is good.

Got a few runs in the snow done including a hard effort 8miler which was great. Some easy runs and two races:

10m XC Byrne Baird Shield. This was my first ever DNF. I raced 8m of it. This was a handicapped race based on form and recent times but I haven't been great and didn't get a great handicap but the goal was to catch as many people as possible and just run a solid race. The first 2m lap was good with a 6:19 mile 1 and a 6:11 mile 2. Then a bitch of a cramp set in and was with me for a good few miles. I had to ease off, it was a bad one. On the last corner of the 4th 2m lap, I put my foot into a large puddle and twisted my ankle. This gave me an excuse, it was sore going through the lap finish and I thought it dumb to continue. I felt bad dropping out because the ankle was grand the day after.

New years day 5km Tom brennan memorial
    I decided to do this to punish myself for drinking too much and skipping sessions. Two years ago I signed up for this race to set the year off on a positive note and get my ass into gear for the Belfast marathon. Its a great little race, two laps, flat and sign up on the day is easy. I did 23.43 that time and that hurt just as much.

Opening mile was 5:48, 2nd was 5:47 and the third was 5:58. I just couldn't hold it and I'm putting it down to a 14hr drinking session 2 days before and a slight cramp. Distance was 3:18m on my garmin and finish time was 18.32. I had a sprint to the finish which couldn't come sooner. How much I've improved in two years....thats more than 5minutes off my previous effort on that course and a PB. Whats nice again is I can take time off that with a decent run in training. So all in all a good day and great to get that out of the system.

Stuff to work on before the break in February and fitness is ok right now;). Enough of the positive boastful talk, I'm Irish and I have a cold setting in.
    :mad::D
    Happy new year!

• Advertisement

aero2k wrote: »
    Well, the general plan was to try to follow Daniels elite plan - obviously adjusted for pace and time - but it does look like a tall order. Anytime recently I've tried a hard session, it's seemed like very hard work. The 5k races were sort of a sneaky way to get a fast tempo run in! It's hard to figure out, the other day I struggled to run a mile in 6:20 in training, and yet in a race 5:40 pace felt ok, if not exactly easy. At any rate my schedule will include two hard sessions per week, one with some tempo miles and a longer run with some PMP miles. I'll probably try to alternate weeks with the long runs say 12-18-14-20 or something like that.

I may even post a few updates on my log!

that 12-18-14-20 are you going to hit those over the next few weeks or do you mean in the summer on the build up to DCM?
    If this cold doesn't set in today, I'm gonna head to the club tomorrow (donore) for a session...not sure if your into it and I don't know what we are doing yet but the lads meet at 6:45 anyway. Easier to reach those faster training miles with a group on the track.

Mon 3rd Jan
    5m easy

Tues 4th Jan
    1.5m warm up
    10 x 600m with 150m jog in between
    1.5m cool down

Average for the 600's was about 2:09 (around 5:45m/m pace). I started this session with three others but after the first rep we kind of seperated and I ended up doing this on my own. Turns out they were doing the same times (2:09) but I was jogging my recovery faster than they were. All in all, happy enough with that.

Think I'll race the BHAA XC on Sat in Tymon Park. If anything, its just to get a hard session done.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Good going Andy, great to see how much you have improved in the Tom Brennan 5km. Have you any spring marathon lined up?

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Good going Andy, great to see how much you have improved in the Tom Brennan 5km. Have you any spring marathon lined up?

cheers Dave, its alright that time but I should be able for faster. How's the knee (tendinitous..spelling?)? Are you back yet and if Barca is cancelled will you go for an early summer or Autumn one? You have to do Dublin again.

I won't be doing a spring one as I'm getting married in 5/6 weeks. I actually did look at marathons that happen during our honeymoon but none suited ;)

Congrats, did'nt know you were gettin married. Enjoy the honeymoon, plenty of time for marathons...the knee appears to have cleared up, back running the last week or so, building up the mileage. I've knocked Barcelona on the head. I'm only doing Dublin this year, want to give it a good shot. Are you running in the national novice cc?

Good to hear you're back running. Don't think I'll be doing the novice no. If they are stuck last minute, I might. They won't be that stuck though.

Wed 5th Jan
    4m recovery run last night.

Thurs 6th Jan
    Got up at 6.30am and ran 8m easy to the gym including a stretch from Leixlip to Maynooth canal. A bit dark and had to watch my step so it was slower than I planned. Nice start to the day.

3x35 push ups just now in work ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3x35 push ups just now in work ;)

Jebus, I better get my act together with these again, you've nearly caught me...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Jebus, I better get my act together with these again, you've nearly caught me...

no chance of that meno. I actually got vaccinations in both my shoulders the other day. holy sh1t they hurt....well they hurt enough not to do any push ups...thats my excuse anyway. Fair play to ya, getting lots done. Just when you were to top the table, MCOS lays down the law.

Fri 9th Jan
    Rest day

Sat 10th Jan
    BHAA XC 4m @ Tymon park: 26.49 which was 43rd.
    Conditions were: cold, lots of mud and a decent wind in sections.

I was happy how I ran this despite the time. I'm learning that these races (and all races I suppose) are lot about mental toughness.
    It was three laps that seemed to go on forever. A mental battle but I gave it everything and am happy with the effort. Time is crap but it was probably long (4.2m on watch) and its XC but I was a minute behind a clubmate that I was probably a minute ahead of not so long ago. He's in flying form though but its just a gauge. Forgot to set the watch to auto lap the miles but I think the last 2m were slower. That last lap was unbelievably tough and will stand to me. Even the cold shower afterwards wasn't even as tough as that lap ;)

A quick chat to a clubmate, he said I look like I've gained weight. Really need to work on my diet...he's right.

Quickly learning that these XC races are a whole different ball game. Plenty of middle aged runners with serious strength in that mud. Very impressed.

Popped into the spa well to watch the rest of the Leeds game. All in all, a great day at the races. I was buzzing all day after it. Love it.

Sun 9th Jan
    5m easy

Approx 35m for the week. A step up this week I hope.

• Advertisement

Mon 10th Jan
    10m @ 7.38m/m in the phoenix park. Good evening for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'll be in that place I said I'd be, a year ago, next week.

Well maybe. Leeds - Arsenal replay is on Wednesday, so I've no excuse...yet!

, so I've no excuse...yet!

you are sick too remember. Think it happens on Thursdays now. Cryptic message, over and out.

Tues 11th Jan
    Down to the club for a track session. I'm thinking of doing the aware 10km on Saturday...if I can. So I was only going to do half a session tonight 7x400s with 100 jog recovery. I decided to stick to the top lads (Heffsarmy :D) for the first 3x400. I know this is very stupid but one of the lads suggested it to introduce something quick in the legs like that. Why not.

Done a 74s then another fast one. Holy sh1t that was different. Finishing the second 400 and one of the coaches shouted at me "you're working your body too hard" ha, spot on, but I was just mucking around. Done another 5 with the other lads around 82s?

Decent cool down brought the milage to about 6m.

It was a good session last night, have'nt done something like that in a long while, headin too the physio this morning, hopefully all is good.

Wed 12th Jan
    Rest day.

Thurs 13th Jan
    8.3m easy. You'd never think it was January. Calm and almost warm compared to recent weather. Good run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Sounds like your getting back into it dude. I think it is a good a idea to go with the quicker lads. I mean you gotta take the step up to the next level and thats the way to do it. Maybe next time you could stay with them for 5 of the 400s.
    Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow, Im 50/50 for it at the moment. I came down with a chest infection at the start of the week and Im not feeling 100%. Probably will do it though, need to get a race in. Although the forecast is for 50mph winds. If thats true then I wont bother, nothing to be gained(for me anyway)from racing against a hurricane.

tunguska wrote: »
    Sounds like your getting back into it dude. I think it is a good a idea to go with the quicker lads. I mean you gotta take the step up to the next level and thats the way to do it. Maybe next time you could stay with them for 5 of the 400s.
    Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow, Im 50/50 for it at the moment. I came down with a chest infection at the start of the week and Im not feeling 100%. Probably will do it though, need to get a race in. Although the forecast is for 50mph winds. If thats true then I wont bother, nothing to be gained(for me anyway)from racing against a hurricane.

I am getting back into it. Well enjoying it all anyway. Not sure I'll try the 'sticking to the lads' next time but I do need to work harder. John Downes roared at me and I thought he'd rugby tackle me off the track. I'm way way off 74s pace for reps.
    Feckin chest infections, a runners nightmare and wind tomorrow...it'll be a hard slog. I'm gonna see how things go in the morning (getting up/collecting no/wind etc) and if all that doesn't work out, I'll do 400s on the track. Good luck with it if you do it. Might see you there.

Fri 14th Jan
    3m easy with a few strides. Stetch the legs for tomorrows session.

Sat 15th Jan
    Plan today was to either do this or a speed session on my own. Glad I picked the race as it would have been hard to motivate myself to train in that wind.

I met Tunguska and headed to the start. Chatting away about movies and to our surprise we were off. He was still talking.....obviously an easy start for him. I'd take it easyish for the first half myself.

The first couple of miles were 6.08 and 6.11. We got a slight bit of wind on our back during the first mile but that was totally cancelled out at 1.5m when we turned towards chesterfield ave in the direction of acres/kyber. A few people had passed me in the opening mile but I crawled them back and by the Kyber, I passed them and was working to catch a girl from the club. Despite the wind, I was feeling good and enjoying it. Entering the Kyber, the wind was moving the girl a few feet to the left. For once the few pounds I'm carrying probably came in handy. Mile 3 was 6.04....an easy one as we went down the kyber. We got our asses kicked when turning towards military road and the S bends. It got worse up Mary's hill and my splits showed it: 6.22 & 6.38:eek: The funny thing was, I wasn't going that bad, I felt strong enough. I was trying for about a mile to close a 20m gap with a guy in (I think) a craughwell singlet. I think he was fading coming out of the furry glen and I took him. I kept on the pressure and was moving very well. Mile 6 was 5.59 (with wind assist) and the last section was at a 5.34 pace.

Happy with my chip time of 38.14 but happier about how I felt throughout. Really think that XC last weekend stood to me, that was much harder than today. Think it was a tad bit short (6.15m instead of 6.2m) but again, happy with how I ran. Its a PB.....kind of.

Garmin link.Tunguska came 4th (well done!), good runs from my club mates and I think I was 15th.....in a weaker field but so what.

Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

nice going Misty, you came through nicely in the last mile. Defo easier to motivate for a race instead of a solo speed session.

Advertisement