Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misty floyd Training Log

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Thurs 28 Apr
    7.6m @ 7.35m/m

Fri 29th Apr
    5m easy

Sat 30th Apr
    After a late night (designated driver) the thoughts of a session didn’t appeal so I decided to do the RTE 5m as a tempo. Worked out grand as I was going to the aviva for the Leinster game afterwards.
    2m warm up
    Ran it in 31.27
    2m cool down

I ran it at maybe 90-95% and on tired legs so I hope to be good for sub 30 at the sportsworld in a couple of weeks. Miles 1-4 were around ~ 6.20m/m. Last mile was 6m/m and I felt comfortable throughout. All positive and then ruined it by getting really drunk and wasting my Sunday on the couch. I’m finished getting drunk, it’s just not worth it.

Sun 1st May
    Hungover, rest day.

35 miles for the week.

Mon 2nd May
    Early 5m @ 7’24 with my neighbour. Crap run, I was stiff as a poker and could still feel a hangover from Saturday. I said I’d do another 5m pm but didn’t.
    Jogged/walked up bray head…does that count as training? Worked up a sweat anyway. Nice fish and chips afterwards.

5km race in Leixlip on Saturday so I'm going to do a half session tonight and get some easy miles in the bag for the next few days. Main focus is a PB in sportsworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Nice fish and chips afterwards.

stick to the phad thai's misty!

seanynova wrote: »
    stick to the phad thai's misty!
    :D lovely stuff!

Tues 3rd May
    10 x 400s on the polo grounds. 1.5m warm up & 4.5m cool down. 9m total.
    79/81/80/79/80/80/80/81/79/82
    Overall average recovery was 45s. High standard deviation [pushes glasses up nose].

Felt comfortable, that was the objective. Not having the hills in the legs made a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Tues 3rd May
    Overall average recovery was 45s. High standard deviation [pushes glasses up nose].

Felt comfortable, that was the objective. Not having the hills in the legs made a big difference.

good session misty. I havent worked up the courage to do these yet.

I dont want to be a git - but I would watch those intervals on a circular/oval course if I were you, the garmin cant be trusted on these. Ive posted a couple of times on my log, the short of it is that they cant handle continuous curves well (it is to do with the way they sample) and overestimate distance (and hence pace too). Have a look at my session today if you get a chance - I was running 5k on a track at 6:02/6:05 per mile (i.e. 12.5 laps in 18:44/18:53), but the watch was telling me I was doing 5:40-5:43/mile, which is a hell of a difference. The polo grounds is bigger so less of a problem but the curves are big enough to skew it quite a bit if you were relying on the garmin to tell you the distance.

Anyway - im doing leixlip on saturday, will hopefully meet up with you there, good luck if I dont meet you before the start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Tues 3rd May

Did a similar type session today myself,the grass is great for the sessions(recover quicker)
    little tip,always run on a hungover day,even if you say im going out to do 15minutes as once you are out you will do more.
    Im staying of the drink till after donore 5k(have a few after that if it goes well)

good session misty. I havent worked up the courage to do these yet.

I dont want to be a git - but I would watch those intervals on a circular/oval course if I were you, the garmin cant be trusted on these. Ive posted a couple of times on my log, the short of it is that they cant handle continuous curves well (it is to do with the way they sample) and overestimate distance (and hence pace too). Have a look at my session today if you get a chance - I was running 5k on a track at 6:02/6:05 per mile (i.e. 12.5 laps in 18:44/18:53), but the watch was telling me I was doing 5:40-5:43/mile, which is a hell of a difference. The polo grounds is bigger so less of a problem but the curves are big enough to skew it quite a bit if you were relying on the garmin to tell you the distance.

Anyway - im doing leixlip on saturday, will hopefully meet up with you there, good luck if I dont meet you before the start.

You're dead right tbb, thanks. Yeah its way worse on a track but on the polo you really only hit the 1 or 2 wide bends and we took them wide. The coach marked out the 400m distance with wee cones and I think this was measured before. To be honest, I only care about the times to compare to previous weeks and get an idea of progress. I'd prefare to do these on the track because there are lots of lumps and bumps and I hate that. Good luck yourself on Saturday, I'll be wearing the donore singlet (I think).
    Did a similar type session today myself,the grass is great for the sessions(recover quicker)
    little tip,always run on a hungover day,even if you say im going out to do 15minutes as once you are out you will do more.
    Im staying of the drink till after donore 5k(have a few after that if it goes well)

Thanks for the tip. Mind you I'll never need to take that advice because I'm never gonna be hungover again ;) Over 3 weeks off the sauce, good luck with that.

Wed 4th May
    5m easy before breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Thanks for waiting up for me last night during the warm down Misty. Great to meet all you guys and see what proper training is all about! I was absolutely shattered after the session but at least I have a starting point now.
    Fair play for getting out again this morning....I struggled to get out of bed:eek:

Cleanman wrote: »
    Thanks for waiting up for me last night during the warm down Misty. Great to meet all you guys and see what proper training is all about! I was absolutely shattered after the session but at least I have a starting point now.
    Fair play for getting out again this morning....I struggled to get out of bed:eek:

Not at all, a cool down should be just that. Hope you weren't put off. That cool down was way longer than usual. We usually just go straight back to the club (~1.5m). Thats a great starting point too and the extra miles will stand to you so long as you take it easy for a few days. I struggled this morning by the way and at last weeks Tuesday session, it was torture for me.

Mon 5th May
    8.2m easy @ 7.50m/m
    Very enjoyable. Canal/ state labs/ home.

• Advertisement

Good to see you are enjoying the running again;)

Good to see you are enjoying the running again;)

Cheers thirsty.
    Fri 6th May
    4m easy at 6.30am I couldn't sleep. Beautiful morning enjoyed that too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

ill be in a fetching luminous green vest and green shorts. red hair.

say hello if you see me

Sat 7th May
    I was hoping for a sub 18 because I PB'd on new years day with 18.28 and I wasn't in the best of shape after xmas.

Nice to be able to get to a race by foot but a 3.8m warm up might have been a bit much. Whatever. I kind of cooled down and didn't feel fresh at the line. Off and I felt good........for about 600m. This was gonna be sick. First mile was 5.45 I think (forgot to put auto lap on the watch). A mile in and I wasn't enjoying myself but wasn't giving up and just took the pain. The last km was probably my slowest (wish I had the data). I didn't pay any attention to the watch, it didn't matter, I was going as fast as I could.

Finished with 18.09 on my watch. No sub 18 but a PB. Happy enough, enjoying the post race buzz :D

I'd recommend this race. A nice atmostphere/course and the cakes were unreal. Excellent job.

3.8m cool down. 10.7m total.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So the cake was nice, but, did you enjoy the cock? :pac:

So the cake was nice, but, did you enjoy the cock? :pac:

I have no idea what to say to that. 8====D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I have no idea what to say to that. 8====D

Stick with the no comment. Dont give her any ammo:D

Sun 8th May
    Early 10.4m @ 7.44m/m with neighbour.
    First half I had tired legs woke up after some hills.
    Hazelhatch/newcaslte/Athgoe/Ardclough/Hazelhatch

50.2 miles for the week.

Mon 9th May
    Rest day.

Tues 10th May
    5 x 800m at the polo grounds. 1.45 recovery.
    Controlled and comfortable, really enjoyed that which shows I took it handy....ish.

2.47/2.47/2.45/2.47/2.50
    I pretty much paced all of these for our group....except the last one :rolleyes: Got lashed on but it was great.

These were measured with a metre wheel thingy.
    6.7m total.

Did an extra 800m rep than ya :p
    seems like you are back in the groove again.You doing the club race on the 28th?
    Got my club singlet tonight and size large doesn't fit me.Must stay of the pies :D

• Advertisement

Getting back to form pretty quickly. Whats the goal for Sunday?

Did an extra 800m rep than ya :p
    seems like you are back in the groove again.You doing the club race on the 28th?
    Got my club singlet tonight and size large doesn't fit me.Must stay of the pies :D

I was looking at your log earlier. Great session, quick times. I have a large myself (singlet that is). Its bet onto me but thats cause it shrunk I'm sure...I wish. No I'll be in the air coming back from the states. Are you still doing it yeah? Its meant to be a fast one.
    Getting back to form pretty quickly. Whats the goal for Sunday?

Trying RQ. Hope your not beating yourself up over Leeds. I see Brian had a bad one too. Happens eh.
    Pity Leeds last game wasn't at Elland rd. That would have been some weekend.
    EDIT: Sunday: eh sub 30 anyway. Mcmillan has me just outside after last weekends 5km. 6m/m for first 2m and either try hold on or take it from there.

good luck on Sunday,meant to be a scorcher weather wise.100% doing Donore 5k,would have liked a run out in kildare 10k but id be missing asession and Gav is gona meet me for a session which is rare for me to have company on a Saturday with work.

Sub30 no problem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Going well lads. Hope to get a singlet myself sometime if I stop getting injured :rolleyes: Plan is to get to Tuesday session before June. Heres hoping.

Trying RQ. Hope your not beating yourself up over Leeds. I see Brian had a bad one too. Happens eh.
    Pity Leeds last game wasn't at Elland rd. That would have been some weekend.
    EDIT: Sunday: eh sub 30 anyway. Mcmillan has me just outside after last weekends 5km. 6m/m for first 2m and either try hold on or take it from there.

Thanks, yeah I think I'm over the whole Leeds thing. Wouldn't have done it if I hadn't been registered since January, knew I shouldn't have been racing. We're usually at ER last game of the season, next year when we're celebrating winning the league and I celebrate a massive pb in the Leeds half it'll be an even better weekend. :D

Best of luck on Sunday, might pop down on the bike to show some support. You seem to be training well anyway, no bother to you.

stmochtas wrote: »
    Going well lads. Hope to get a singlet myself sometime if I stop getting injured :rolleyes: Plan is to get to Tuesday session before June. Heres hoping.

Ah Stmochtas, haven't seen you in a few weeks at the club. Feckin injuries.....probably the only bad side of running. Hope it clears up soon.
    next year when we're celebrating winning the league and I celebrate a massive pb in the Leeds half it'll be an even better weekend. :D

I like it.
    Going up this season was too soon, we'd come straight back down. Thats what I'm telling myself.

8====D (thats a cock, did ya spot that? Gave me a childish giggle anyway :D)
    Wed 11th May
    My manager roped me into doing a team building Orienteering treasure hunt yesterday :rolleyes:. I had no shorts so I drove home, ran into work, done the orienteering and ran home for a shower. Happy days getting paid to run around doing silly tasks. It was great craic in the end. Not sure if we won, we were first back but got some time penalties during the blindfolded maze section. Damn it!!!

Total miles ~ 7m easy

Thurs 12th May
    Nothing. Life got in the way unexpectedly and didn't fancy running at midnight.

Fri 13th May
    5 or 6m easy. Can't remember.

Sat 14th May
    4m easy with 5x100m strides

Sun 15th May
    Sportsworld 5m

Plan was a sub 30 in this. After the honeymoon and weeks of mucking around in Feb/March I got a 30'30 on Paddy's day so I figured sub 30 would be on, it wasn't today. I ended up with a 30'43 on my watch which is 6'07 pace. Disappointed with the time but really happy with my effort. I'm learning that thats what its about. You might be off peak fitness or carrying a few pounds but if you run a race 100% and beat the demons in the head that are telling you to ease off then you should be happy. I'm happy how I dug in especially when I knew sub 30 was way off, instead of dropping off the effort, I put in more effort. Can't forget to add my crutch excuses: There was a bitch of a breeze which made things very tough today. Forgot to stick the lunaracers on and raced this in my mizuno trainers....made no odds really.

I'm surprised with my time but thats the way and I'm happy. Best man duties and 9 days in Boston from Thursday is going to knock the momentum but I'll do my best to minimise that.

Might do a few miles (3) tonight to loosen up the legs.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, we won second placed team and I was the 4th to score. €20 voucher :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You were really pushing hard up that finishing straight when a lot of people around looked like they were taking it easy. As you say yourself there's a lot to take from a race when you know you gave it 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

With the weather bein so crap these last few days, thats the equivalent of a sub 30 in normal conditions:rolleyes: Good runnin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

nice going Misty. Like you said, the effort is what its all about.
    The times will definitely fall.

You could always do hill reps on Heartbreak Hill in Boston to keep you honest :-)

Advertisement