Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP network driver issue

• 13-11-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭

Im fixing a Dell Dimension 3100 for my aunt that's not able to connect to the internet.
    When I go into Device Manager, under Networks there are lots of drivers with the yellow exclaimation mark. I downloaded the drivers from Dell for the network card (Intell PRO 100) and tried to reinstall. This didnt work.
    There are lots of drivers called WAN Miniport IP,IPX,L2TP,PPPOE,PPTP. (See attached picture) I googled these and these seemed to be causing the problem. So I tried to uninstall the drivers but it wont let me because windows says that they "are needed for the system to boot".
    So i searched further on google and found out to remove them that I need to change some keys in the registry to remove it. I changed these keys but the problem still persists and I am unable to uninstall it.
    Can anyone please help me with this problem. I know that the easiest way to fix it is to reformat but I would prefer to fix it without reformating.

Thanks
    jak/mar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2809&DwnldID=18717&ProductFamily=Network+Connectivity&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Desktop+Adapters&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+PRO%2f100+VE+Network+Connection&lang=eng

This is the download for the PRO/100 VE driver from Intel's page... Download the PROWin32.exe file and run it... This will guide you through the driver and the network should work then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

are you sure you downloaded the correct driver??

do you have a usb wireless card in your pc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭jak/mar

This is the download for the PRO/100 VE driver from Intel's page... Download the PROWin32.exe file and run it... This will guide you through the driver and the network should work then.

I downloaded that and it didnt work. It comes up with error "The installed version of Intel PROSet is not supported for upgrades. You must uninstall it before installing this version." So I uninstalled the driver but it still is coming up even though I have uninstalled the driver.
    trebor28 wrote: »
    are you sure you downloaded the correct driver??

do you have a usb wireless card in your pc?

Im sure as I got it from Intel and Dell's site. I put a wireless usb card in to try and connect me to the internet but it wont let me install the drivers for that either even though I have them.

I think adding wireless card is just confusing things.. Might be better just to pull out the card and focus on the PRO/100 VE ...

This seems to be an issue with some Intel adapters... here is a page addressing the issue.. If you feel confident enough you could try some of the suggested solutions..

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-029916.htm

I did everything on that guide including removing the keys in the registry. But it still wouldn't install.
    Its interesting.When I uninstall the drivers nothing happens but as soon as I run an installer it installs itself.:confused:

• Advertisement

I think the next step I would probably try is to go to Device Manager and manually "update driver" using the INF file.. but it's not easy to describe this..

I think the next step I would probably try is to go to Device Manager and manually "update driver" using the INF file.. but it's not easy to describe this..
    Thanks - How would I go about doing this?

Advertisement