Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Neighbours

Options
  • 13-11-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi guys,

Could do with some advice.. Both myself and my wife are going insane with the noise from our neighbours.. The music is so loud that it wakes up our 2 year old. It's every Friday and Saturday night. The neighbours are Eastern European and their taste in music is rubbish. I am paying alot of money for a mortgage and do not feel I should have to put up with this. Some weekends the music goes from 1 pm until well after 3 in the morning.
    I have knocked in and asked them to lower the music which they do for a short while and then up the volume again.
    The landlord of the property in question once gave me the number of the estate agent dealing with the rental should I have any problem with the tenants....

My question is how much is too much to take with regards noisy neighbours ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Did you contact the estate agent in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 davec9313

Not yet, defo doing it on Monday..
    i have had enough of this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

davec9313 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Could do with some advice.. Both myself and my wife are going insane with the noise from our neighbours.. The music is so loud that it wakes up our 2 year old. It's every Friday and Saturday night. The neighbours are Eastern European and their taste in music is rubbish. I am paying alot of money for a mortgage and do not feel I should have to put up with this. Some weekends the music goes from 1 pm until well after 3 in the morning.
    I have knocked in and asked them to lower the music which they do for a short while and then up the volume again.
    The landlord of the property in question once gave me the number of the estate agent dealing with the rental should I have any problem with the tenants....

totally irrelevant really...

Point taken... but I should have pointed out that I would have the same issue if they were Irish \English \ American... whatever !

If they are in rented accomodation then their estate agent/management company is the best person to deal with. From my experience and what I have read from others they are the only people really who will get the problem sorted. Even the guards have very little power when it comes to noisy neighbours other than paying them a visit to notify them of a complaint and asking them if they wouldnt mind turning the music down.

• Advertisement

yeah i guess so, estate agent getting called on Monday.... And the music has already started tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

So they've now moved beside you have they? ;)

We had the same problem a few years ago. It wasn't so much the loudness of the music, it was the crappness that really did my head in! And yes, mentioning East European is relevant because only someone who has lived beside them can testify to the absolute rubbish they listen to.

Luckily we shared managing agents when we had a problem. It took two warnings from her to make them up sticks and leave.

Best of luck getting rid of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

So they've now moved beside you have they? ;)

We had the same problem a few years ago. It wasn't so much the loudness of the music, it was the crappness that really did my head in! And yes, mentioning East European is relevant because only someone who has lived beside them can testify to the absolute rubbish they listen to.

Luckily we shared managing agents when we had a problem. It took two warnings from her to make them up sticks and leave.

Best of luck getting rid of them!

i have lived beside them..... never a problem.
    thred title is "noisy neighbours"

i hardly think their race is relevant..

... not "eastern european neighbours with bad taste in music"

no luck getting hold of estate agent today.. left a message

And low and behold the racket they call music has started again..... If I could cut the power to their house I would

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭beebaw

i had the exact same problem with my neighbours but they owned the house so it was slightly different. to be honest you have a better chance of resolving it as they are renters rather than owners. Anyway i got it sorted through the courts and was a very straight forward process and now there is not a peep out of them.
    if you want PM me your number any we can have a chat about this...

• Advertisement

thanks for that.. will see what the estate agent says !
    thanks for the offer beebaw.......
    Hope long did it take you to get it sorted ???

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭doughef

OP.

Completely relevant mentioning where there from. Its not racist - its a fact.
    Lived beside people from Eastern Europe myself.. Nice guys if you met them on the street, said hello and stuff (see?? not racist...!!)

BUT.. once the sun went down the music went up. These guys drank hard, whatever.. but, they did it at home and rarely went out.. Nightmare, and yes.. the music was ****e,... really crap techno / dance rubbish..

And you have a small child? fair play to you for keeping your cool and best of luck :confused:

true the music is rubbish ..... all i hear is a bass dum dum dum dum (not once have I heard any lyrics)

I agree nice people during the day and say hi etc... but once inside the music is turned on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭spirityboy

I'd advise dealing directly with the landlord why should you go through an estate agent? the guy owns the place so he is in my opinion responsible for what happens in it. Also keep a log of the events and recordings if possible so you have proof that it is happening and not a case of your word against theirs.

you can seek to have a noise abaitment order in teh district court, its not too expensive and you don't need a lawyer but you do need proof and you do have to have tried deal with it directly. you've spoken to the tennant and nothing changed, you spoke to the owner and IMO he fobbed you off. so you have at least tried.

spirityboy wrote: »
    I'd advise dealing directly with the landlord why should you go through an estate agent?

Because the estate agent/property management company usually get better results than the landlord. It seems that once a landlord is getting their rent on time and the property is being kept in good order they do not really care what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi guys,

Start Logging all noise issues, date / times and type of excessive noise.
    Contact a solicitor and give your list of times/dates then they will send a letter to the landlord/Estate agent to ask to resolve the matter.
    No harm in checking if your neighbours property is listed www.prtb.ie if it is indeed rented out.
    You may as a last resort have no choice but to go to your District Court to get a Noise Abatement order taken out against your noisy neighbours..

Be prepared for the long haul as there is no quick fix for noisy neighbours, if only we could choose our neighbours, eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Beingolderis better

true the music is rubbish ..... all i hear is a bass dum dum dum dum (not once have I heard any lyrics)

I agree nice people during the day and say hi etc... but once inside the music is turned on..
    At what time do they finally go to bed ,turn off the noise?

I once had a neighbour like that. Butter would'nt melt,and he would not listen.
    So I got myself the loudest most horrible noise ,pipes and all,and I waited until they were sound asleep.
    Then with the speakers above their bedroom ,facing down,and at max
    volume ,I turned on the sound.
    I had to put 'muffs' on my own ears the sound was so terrible I nearly
    hit the wall myself .
    I did that until they got the message.
    I call it my' homeopathic medicine'.
    Treat like with like.

Before you do it telll your neighbour and have a witness to their anti -
    social habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭CHRISTINACO

HI YA, WE ARE IN THE SAME SITUATIO ONLY WE ARE LIVING IN A MID TERRACED HOUSE AND WE ARE GETTING IT FROM BOTH SIDES. ONE SIDE ARE RENTERS AND THE OTHER SIDE IS, LIKE US A HOME OWNER. WE HAVE CONTACTED THE GUARDS ABOUT THE HOME OWNER SEVERAL TIMES OVER THE LAST YEAR AND THEY STILL HAVE YET TO CALL TO HER. ONLY HERSELF AND HER 9 YR OLD SON LIVE THERE AND AT TIMES ITS AS IF A HERD OF ELEPHANTS LIVE THERE.WE HAVE SPOKEN TO HER ALSO SO MANY TIMES.THE LAST TIME WAS ONLY A FEW DAYS AGO WHERE WE WERE TOLD WE SHOULD BUY A HOUSE IN THE COUNTRY IF WE WANT PEACE AND QUIET.POUNDING UP AND DOWN THE STAIRS,SLAMMING DOORS AND THE WORST IS THE TREADMILL AT 7AM EVERY MORNING.THE TREADMILL IS IN HER ROOM WHICH IS BESIDE MY 2YR OLDS ROOM AND BECAUSE OF ALL THIS NOISE HE HAS BEEN GETTING NIGHT TERRORS.SHE IS COMPLETELY IGNORANT TO WHAT SHE IS PUTTING US THROUGH AND WE FEEL SICK EVERYTIME WE SEE HER CAR PULL INTO DRIVEWAY.
    AS FOR THE TENANTS ON THE OTHER SIDE,WE CONTACTED THEIR LANDLORD ASWELL AS SPEAKING TO THEM OURSELVES ONE TOO MANY TIMES BUT TO NO AVAIL.AGAIN ONLY A COUPLE WITH A YOUNG CHILD,WHO THEY SEEM TO SCREAM AT THE WHOLE TIME ASWELL AS SCREAMING AT EACH OTHER.THEY ALSO LIKE TO WATCH TV IN THEIR ROOM AT FULL BLAST AT ALL HOURS OF THE NIGHT.AND LISTENING TO THEIR PRIVATE ACTIVITY IS NOT VERY PLEASANT EITHER..PLEASE CAN ANYONE GIVE US SOME HELPFUL ADVICE.MY TWO KIDS ARE STARTING TO SUFFER ASWELL AS MY HEALTH
    PLEASE HELP:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

djimi wrote: »
    Because the estate agent/property management company usually get better results than the landlord. It seems that once a landlord is getting their rent on time and the property is being kept in good order they do not really care what is going on.

An estate agent will do nothing. They represent the landlord and have zero interest in hassle of sorting out the OP's problem. They just want to get paid by the landlord for collect the rent.

The best bet is to go directly the landlord and hassle him to get onto his tenants. He is ultimately responsible for them and he can threaten to evict them. The landlord will care if he is getting a phone call each day from the OP saying that there was noise again in the apartment.

If the landlord is a pri€k and just ignores you then if you are in an apartment building the management company can force the landlord to comply with the building rules, which probably say something like no noise after 11pm.

If the landlord wants to fight it get ready for a long process, but to be honest he is more likely to give out to his tenants, threaten them with eviction, and hope they shut up.

So ignore the estate agent, they have no interest in helping you. Go to the landlord directly, see how that goes, and if he is troublesome to go the management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Good morning folks,

Next door started with loud Dance music at about 2.30am and are still going. It wouldn't be so bad if the bass wasn't turned up so much. Better half is managing to sleep in the spare room but my hearing is better than hers.

Have spoken to the guards twice this morning, they've advised that they've no power other than to call round and inform them of the complaint about the noise. Not sure if they've managed to call to them yet, but the music is still going as loud as ever.

So my question is what kind of records need to be kept for proof? We had the same problem last December with these neighbours and I'm dreading the next few weekends, Sunday nights in particular.

I'm also hesitant to contact my neighbours directly as they don't seem the most reasonable of people from our brief interactions. Not even a hello in response to our salutations when passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I am a home owner and had a renter next door.

Just point the big bass speakers towards their place and the moment they go quite, turn your music up full blast and go out.

Worked for me.

I also use to start the mower at 7.00am and let it sit outside their bedroom window for hours.

They soon got the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

old_aussie wrote: »
    I am a home owner and had a renter next door.

Just point the big bass speakers towards their place and the moment they go quite, turn your music up full blast and go out.

Worked for me.

I also use to start the mower at 7.00am and let it sit outside their bedroom window for hours.

They soon got the message.

Fair dues to you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

We have lived in our house for 6 years now and we have renters next door for 5 of them years we have had tenants coming and going and each lot had partys every weekend and alot of week nights.
    The worst lost were the eastern Europeans.They not only listened to loud music but they used to sing and shout to it to while banging anything they could.There used to be 10-15 in there at anyone time.The guards were called once and came within 10 mins and the music stopped but the next day started again.I did not want to confront them but got that worked up once i freaked out and knocked on the door and gave them what for.
    They moved out a couple of months later and we was hoping and praying for a nice quite tenants then we saw a car pull up and 5 young lads got out and for a year we had the same.
    we eventually we got a family in there who were great and had a great laugh with them but they only lasted a year before moving.
    Now we have another group of young lads in there and there party's are in the week and are very loud,we have contacted the landlord who is no help at all.
    We have a 2 year old and my wife is 8 months pregnant so its very stressful when it all happens. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

thebullkf wrote: »
    totally irrelevant really...
    its a statement of fact, no need for the PC high horse brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Ive lived in many rented houses and flats and had similar problems. I feel so sorry for you and the fact your child isn't sleeping etc.

I am almost positive there is a law to this...about how loud music can be until a certain time every night and I think it's allowed be higher volume or go on longer at weekends but only until certain times. We've had to call the Guardai before and they called to the house to tell them to stop...which they should do anyway!

But check it out, Im almost positive there is a law. Id go to court for definate especially the fact you're paying mortgage and Im guessing due to the recession theres no chance of moving at the moment.

Good Luck.

Im not sure if there is a law but in apartment complexes with management companies there will almost certainly be a rule stating when noise must be kept to a minumum; usually around 10.30. If the management company get wind of anyone breaking this rule, be it renter or owner, they can and will intervene and by the sounds of it have more power than the Gardai do to sort the matter. All the Gardai can do is ask the people to stop, but if they choose not to then the Gardai cant do much else.

i had to yet again speak to my ignorant neighbour about her noise levels and i was told to buy a house out in the middle of the country if i wanted peace and quiet.i could not believe it. 8am on a thursday morning and i had been kept awke til after 4am by the renters on one side and then herself started up at 7am..what are we supposed to do when dealing with neighbours like this..why should we have to suffer because of other peoples ignorance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

i had to yet again speak to my ignorant neighbour about her noise levels and i was told to buy a house out in the middle of the country if i wanted peace and quiet.i could not believe it. 8am on a thursday morning and i had been kept awke til after 4am by the renters on one side and then herself started up at 7am..what are we supposed to do when dealing with neighbours like this..why should we have to suffer because of other peoples ignorance

Your best bet is to try and get on to the PRTB and get the landlords details and pester him. That is what I did.

Horrible situation :(

angel01 wrote: »
    Your best bet is to try and get on to the PRTB and get the landlords details and pester him. That is what I did.

Horrible situation :(

Thanks angel01, only problem is she is the homeowner..and to make it worse she is laughing about it to a few neighbours. They do not know how bad she is. We have it on both sides and it's unbearable. I have spoken to the renters landlord but he was useless..just as ignorant..the renters are fairly rough. I have spoken to the prtb and I'm waiting to hear back from them..it looks like we will have to move because things are only going to get worse.I dread every day..

• Advertisement

had to call guards at 2am this tue night on our scum neighours..garda was very supportive but there was nothing he could do.he advised me to go to the local authority which i did the next day but as it was xmas i did not realise they would be closed..when i came home i saw all the cars were still there next door and they were having their lovely lie in after keeping us awake until after 5am..wasnt that lovely.they keep their 2 year old up until after 2am so she will sleep til near noon..but my 3 yr old is up at 8am evry morning so no lie ins for us..so at boiling point i rang their landlord once again.he thought everything was sorted after my last phonecall to him..i told him has gotten alot worse.i told him if he does not speak to them or evicy them then i will go to the local authority.SO he called to them wed nite 29th dec..all was quiet for that night..not a sound.but they came back full throttle last night..i had to sllep on the couch again wit my trusty earplugs which dont work anymore and when the banging and screaming and crying stopped at 5am i eventually nodded off until my alarm went off at 7am and it was time to get up for work at half 7am to 6pm..
    can someone please tell me if i am going mad or what can i do..
    i am breaking point..between my bitch of a neighbour on one side and the scum on the other we have had the worst xmas ever while they have had a blast of a time

Advertisement