Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking Phones for usage abroad?

Options
  • 13-11-2010 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭

I have a phone currently unlocked to all networks in ireland. But will this 'unlocking' work in other european countries if I use a sim card for a network from that country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

double GG wrote: »
    I have a phone currently unlocked to all networks in ireland. But will this 'unlocking' work in other european countries if I use a sim card for a network from that country?

You might be thinking of blacklisting?

Thats where the serial number on the handset its actually barred by the networks, no matter what sim you put in. This however doesnt always work in each country. So the phone might work here, but may not when you go aboard. A handset is blacklisted when reported stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Davy wrote: »
    You might be thinking of blacklisting?

Thats where the serial number on the handset its actually barred by the networks, no matter what sim you put in. This however doesnt always work in each country. So the phone might work here, but may not when you go aboard. A handset is blacklisted when reported stolen.

Maybe,

Do you know anyway I could guarantee it would work?
    Other than physically going there to check it??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,462 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Davy is only talking about a phone which was reported stolen, if your phone is kosher and as you say unlocked then it will take a SIMM for any network. I don't see what point he's making because if the phone is working in Ireland then it's clearly not blacklisted.

By the way,, there's no such thing as 'unlocked to all networks in Ireland', if it's unlocked it's unlocked and will work with any SIMM anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

coylemj wrote: »
    Davy is only talking about a phone which was reported stolen, if your phone is kosher and as you say unlocked then it will take a SIMM for any network. I don't see what point he's making because if the phone is working in Ireland then it's clearly not blacklisted.

If you buy a phone second hand, ebay for example. It could be blacklisted so doesnt work in country A. When it arrives here it does, and the blacklisting doesnt work across the board even though it should. Thats my point. If the OP bought the phone here, and is working here then its ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Davy wrote: »
    If you buy a phone second hand, ebay for example. It could be blacklisted so doesnt work in country A. When it arrives here it does, and the blacklisting doesnt work across the board even though it should. Thats my point. If the OP bought the phone here, and is working here then its ok.

Yeah, I bought it in Ireland. Thanks for everything lads! and (ladies)

Advertisement