Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1,600 gaming rig, whatcha think.

Options
  • 13-11-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Basically made a new thread on this as the old one got a tad flooded. As the title says i've about 1,600 set aside for my new rig(first time build) and so far this (link below) is what i'm looking at going for

Interested in what people think of this; what you'd suggest to change add, or if i'm missing any key element.

if you think any other build would be more fitting just keep in mind that I can't go too far over 1,600 (around 1,700 at a push).

Forgot to add that I have my monitor picked out already so the 1,600 is what I have to play around with for the rig itself. The one i'm going for is the 'Samsung SyncMaster B2430H 24" ' at €196.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭kev_like

Decided to change the power supply in the above to the Corsair 850HX, which saves me about 25 quid. This means i've about another 75 to play around with, thinking of going for a better gpu, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

all looks good to me, great motherboard by the way (amazing how quickly prices drop as that was like 350 back in august :() as for ati/intel you will have no problem as they work perfectly fine together

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

that particular motherboard is b-stock, its 50 quid cheaper than their main price

So would you guys think everything would work well together?
    This is kinda my final draft and what I think im going for, just wana make sure 100% :)

• Advertisement

indough wrote: »
    that particular motherboard is b-stock, its 50 quid cheaper than their main price

What exactly do you mean by b-stock btw? :P

well its probably been sent back and theyve checked it working and out it back for sale but at a reduced price. thats how i just bught my last board. it may come without accessories which can be a pain if you end up having to order a back i/o plate seperately

well its probably been sent back and theyve checked it working and out it back for sale but at a reduced price. thats how i just bught my last board. it may come without accessories which can be a pain if you end up having to order a back i/o plate seperately

Just read up on it there, kinda wondered why it was 30 less than the other, it comes only as a single piece with no box and no accessories, so i'm guna fork out the other 30 and just get it new since they have it in stock.

strange, i remember it being more expensive when i looked last. anyway definitely woth the extra for the prper one now

strange, i remember it being more expensive when i looked last. anyway definitely woth the extra for the prper one now

Yeah price dropped a few quid in the past couple of days already, which is handly. But yeah, this is guna be my build anyway. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

• Advertisement

are you sure you want to spend that much on the 5870 though? i mean obviously the choice is yours but i think the 6870 would be better for cf'ing. there are people posting here whod know more about that than me but id make sure and find out first, if thats your intention

are you sure you want to spend that much on the 5870 though? i mean obviously the choice is yours but i think the 6870 would be better for cf'ing. there are people posting here whod know more about that than me but id make sure and find out first, if thats your intention
    well I was going to go for the Palit Geforce GTX 470, 1280MB

but after watching some comparison vids the 5870 surpassed it in most tests. So thought would be worth my while going for the 5870, getting the vapor-x as it's only like 10 quid cheaper and reduces the noise, power used ect, so I think it's worth the price. But if you feel theres a better card out there for the price feel free to pop in your thoughts on what you'd go for

i dont know really. i chose to go for a slightly less powerful card and get another one to run in crossfire when i can afford it, so i guess imo that is the best option. if i had the kind of money youre spending id get a 6870 and then another one when possible. like i said i think it scales better then a 5870 but thats only second hand stuff ive read online.

i dont know really. i chose to go for a slightly less powerful card and get another one to run in crossfire when i can afford it, so i guess imo that is the best option. if i had the kind of money youre spending id get a 6870 and then another one when possible. like i said i think it scales better then a 5870 but thats only second hand stuff ive read online.

well basically i'm taking out a loan for this and wont have cash for another few months, want to use a single card that'll run really well for me and all eyes pointed at the 5870 for me. I'll probably replace it next year sometime anyway so i'll just be looking for the one dependable card for the moment.

Now just to work out how to use hwvs's confusing as shi* ordering page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NoRegrets

Nice Setup op, mite be worth checking out this site for your ram works out at £65.76 http://www.scan.co.uk/products, seems to be a really good deal and you'll save yourself afew bob.

NoRegrets wrote: »
    Nice Setup op, mite be worth checking out this site for your ram works out at £65.76 http://www.scan.co.uk/products, seems to be a really good deal and you'll save yourself afew bob.

Thanks man.
    Also it would save me a few bob but i'd prefer to keep the order to the one site :) saves on waiting for stuff from different companys ect :) nice one for the heads up though :)

that ram pointed out on scan is inferior anyway

that ram pointed out on scan is inferior anyway

Indeed. So I think my minds made up, the build above is what i'm going for, wish me luck with the build :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NoRegrets

kev_like wrote: »
    Thanks man.
    Also it would save me a few bob but i'd prefer to keep the order to the one site :) saves on waiting for stuff from different companys ect :) nice one for the heads up though :)

Yeah i can understand that :), didn't know the memory was inferior btw honest mistake. Goodluck with the build thats gona be one sick setup when finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ihateclowns11

NoRegrets wrote: »
    Yeah i can understand that :), didn't know the memory was inferior btw honest mistake. Goodluck with the build thats gona be one sick setup when finished.

He probably finished it a year ago lol,id say its broken by now.

• Advertisement

He probably finished it a year ago lol,id say its broken by now.

Did you not check the dates on these posts no? or are you being sarcastic?o_O

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I think he thinks he's funny :confused:

Solitaire wrote: »
    I think he thinks he's funny :confused:

I really don't know, when someone clearly doesn't state something is sarcasm it's impossible to tell in text :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You can usually tell when people are taking the mick. Marking it :pac: helps ;):D

That troll attack was so incredibly random though... :confused::p:rolleyes:

Solitaire wrote: »
    You can usually tell when people are taking the mick. Marking it :pac: helps ;):D

That troll attack was so incredibly random though... :confused::p:rolleyes:

Yeah but most people don't even use smilies in their posts nowadays, everyones far too srs :P

Indeed it was a bit, outta the blue, as one would say :P

But yeah, btw what you actually think of the build Solitaire?xD

Advertisement