Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Site-wide Announcement?

Options
  • 13-11-2010 9:36pm

Just wondering if something like this could be a site-wide announcement, just to warn people about this scam, especially in the run up to Christmas where people might fall for it?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can see how a crowd could be worked up by that kind of 'selling'. but honestly anyone who agrees to part with €100 (or £s) for a random item, sight unseen and not even look at it before leaving the premises is just a victim of their own greed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Seen this scam on The Real Hustle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Caveat emptor - Let the buyer beware.
    This kind of scam has been going on for a lot longer then you or I have been around. It's as old as money. Don't see why that deserves a sitewide announcement.
    Will we be seeing an announcement that 'Three-card Monte' might be a fixed game. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hi Guys,

to be brief, the general consensus among the admins ties in with OldGoat's post. If we put up a sitewide announcement for something such as this, we could be opening the floodgates for sitewide announcements for loads of different very good causes.

However, one suggestion thrown out there was how about putting such an announcement in the Christmas forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

the old "if it sounds too good to be true - it probably is" saying is apt.

Seriously, people stupid enough to expect to get a 50 inch plasma for 100 quid dont deserve to have money and im sure the money is probably happier to become the posessions of someone at least somewhat smarter if not ethically moral.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

to be brief, the general consensus among the admins ties in with OldGoat's post. If we put up a sitewide announcement for something such as this, we could be opening the floodgates for sitewide announcements for loads of different very good causes.

However, one suggestion thrown out there was how about putting such an announcement in the Christmas forum?

Yeah, that would be a pretty sensible option and was one of the ones I have been contemplating. Would it be possible to have an announcement in the Christmas forum and possibly the Bargain Alerts one?

Though that being said, there is a sticky there with regards to scam websites so would that count there?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yeah, that would be a pretty sensible option and was one of the ones I have been contemplating. Would it be possible to have an announcement in the Christmas forum and possibly the Bargain Alerts one?

Though that being said, there is a sticky there with regards to scam websites so would that count there?

Quite possibly.

It's probably best to PM the mods of those forums. I can't just wade in there and put up a notice. :)

Advertisement