Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Corrib is on Google maps!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Finally! :D

They got the airport correct too.

Cloonacauneen is wrong but they corrected the shading around my parents house - it was funny seeing our farm shaded in as if it was built up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Great improvement!

Dun Aengus Dock down at the Harbour is a bit messed up... far too long..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They got the airport correct too.

Yeah, I'd complained about that too ... it was making the Oranmore maps look funny the way it was.

But they've done something odd all right: there are a lot of places with "Dunkelin By" after their name, no idea what it means.

Castlegar finally looks like it's in the right place, though. It seemed to appear all over the place before.

They've taken out the shaded area for NUIG .. not sure that was a good idea, it looks like the only place-marker for it is something with a review by some student ...

But someone really should put in a bug-report about Ballybrit Cresent (wrong name, and it shows road that ain't there). And the council have recently put up roadsigns saying that the road up to the industrial estates is called "Parkmore Rd".

Little by little ...

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

I'm not sure when they fixed the NUIG shading out west, but there was a thread here a while ago about it - they were indicating that NUIG owned the western shore of Lough Corrib for miles out beyond Oughterard into Connemara, but that is fixed now.:rolleyes:

The 'Dunkelin By' thing is obviously coming from their source data and they haven't edited it out - it refers to Dunkellin Barony and would normally come after common places names to differentiate them from others elsewhere in Galway - For example, there might be two places called Ballybeg, so they each get the barony within which they are located put after them so you can tell one from the other. You'd see it on Ordnance Survey 6" maps and the like, but not normally on road maps, Discovery Series etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

:)

JustMary wrote: »
    But they've done something odd all right: there are a lot of places with "Dunkelin By" after their name, no idea what it means.
    It is the barony it is in - a very old but still used division.

The barony of Clare is another one. (nothing to do with the county - all to do with the river)
    Edit: I think anyways at least - it could be a surname.
    Electoral division has also popped up.

Are google gearing up for an attempt at postcodes maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Mary, I click your link and I see a crappy low res satellite photo of Galway that was on Google maps for years......now what ??

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Switch from satellite to map in the top right corner and now see the river where there wasn't one before...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Mary, I click your link and I see a crappy low res satellite photo of Galway that was on Google maps for years......now what ??
    I think we don't hang out in google maps enough Bob, kinda went over my head too. Apparently they've made some changes at Google HQ :pac: or Tele Atlas, whatever, it's good to see things improving anyway.

Go team. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭WeirdKen

Ah, I thought that was a google thing, not a galway thing... Now it all makes sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sherifu wrote: »
    Apparently they've made some changes at Google HQ :pac: or Tele Atlas, whatever, it's good to see things improving anyway.

Go team. :)

Indeed.

Tele Atlas maintain the geo-database that underlies what we see in Google maps.

They have a nice wee feedback tool that you and I can use to tell them that something is wrong. Every so often, they bundle up a whole batch of fixes, and update the copy of the database that Google use - that's why we see a number of changes at the same time.

I suspect that the baroney thing might be to do with the way Google uses the data, rather than the data itself. But the river and airport fixes are definitely Tele Atlas's.

Advertisement