Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement graphics card

Options
  • 13-11-2010 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

Well my POV 8600 GTS just died, so I need a replacement. Budget is about €130. It doesn't have to be super powerful as long as it's better than an 8600. PSU is only 480W btw :o which I suppose could be very limiting. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

On an aside:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055805374

Worth a shot, blah blah blah...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525, running Windows 7, with a Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

I'm looking up upgrade the graphics card, because the current one does not support hdmi sound, only hdmi video. I want to be able to hook up laptop to tv via hdmi cable, which I already have.

The laptop is about 2 and half years old, so hdmi wasn't that popular enough to warrent dell authorising sound on they graphics card,

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Adyx wrote: »
    Well my POV 8600 GTS just died, so I need a replacement. Budget is about €130. It doesn't have to be super powerful as long as it's better than an 8600. PSU is only 480W btw :o which I suppose could be very limiting. Any recommendations?

What model PSU is that? If its a good PSU, its not that much of a limit, mid-range cards don't hog too much power (except for the GTX460 1GB that is :p)

In any case, even a HD5670 would be better but a HD4770 or HD5750 is a better bet. If you're playing on a 1080p monitor however, I'd strongly recommend at least a HD5770 1GB
    Lady Lainy wrote: »
    I have a Dell Inspiron 1525, running Windows 7, with a Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

I'm looking up upgrade the graphics card, because the current one does not support hdmi sound, only hdmi video. I want to be able to hook up laptop to tv via hdmi cable, which I already have.

The laptop is about 2 and half years old, so hdmi wasn't that popular enough to warrent dell authorising sound on they graphics card,

Thanks

No can do, you'd need a new laptop I'm afraid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

ahhhh balls! so its integrated and not interchangeable then?

Well the quick answer was greatly appreciated. I think i have an idea of what i can do! :D

hook up ipod dock (its seriously powerful) with Aux to the laptop for sound and use the hdmi cable to hook up laptop to tv for video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

On an aside:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055805374

Worth a shot, blah blah blah...

I actually saw that after I posted this thread. I'll probably give it a go. Nothing to lose sure. The 8600 is getting on a bit now though so an upgrade is due anyway.
    Solitaire wrote: »
    What model PSU is that? If its a good PSU, its not that much of a limit, mid-range cards don't hog too much power (except for the GTX460 1GB that is :p)

In any case, even a HD5670 would be better but a HD4770 or HD5750 is a better bet. If you're playing on a 1080p monitor however, I'd strongly recommend at least a HD5770 1GB

PSU is a Hiper Type R. My monitor is only a 19" 1280x1024. Which is why I've gotten by on the 8600 for so long, especially as I don't game as much as used to. I've had a look at some HD5750 and HD5770 cards. Are they all that size? It's a microATX motherboard so space is at a premium.

• Advertisement

Any modern gaming-grade card will need two slots to accomodate the cooler I'm afraid :o The cards shouldn't be too long though :)

If it makes you feel any better a HD57*0 512MB will happily do your current monitor while not costing much more power consumption than the old 8600GTS, and if you get a 1GB version then with a slight overclock you'd be set for any potential upgrade to a 1080p screen ;)

Okay thanks. I suppose I could go back to on-board sound until I can get a newer motherboard. Would this be a good buy then?

Yep, but Sapphire have HD5750 and HD5770 models for under €100 and €110 respectively ;) Both 1GB models of course :)

So they do. I ordered the Sapphire HD5770 1GB. Under budget too! Thanks for all your help. :D

Advertisement