Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite/Aerial Setup Upgrade

Options
  • 13-11-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

I want to upgrade the setup I have at the minute. I have a Sky+ in the sitting room and Sky SD in the Kitchen. Then I have freesat receivers in two bedrooms.
    Then the aerial I put up last year is a BB Grid so I know I want a multiswitch but i want it capable of suppling about 10-12 rooms in total 3 being capable of Sky+ boxes any advice of what would be suitable to use?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have used EMP (recommended to me by Watty) for a person I did a job for. It should fit your bill.

I like the Profi Line as it has variable gain pots which are very handy IMO. Plus, the Profi line support the use of standard Quad LNB's (some switches require the use of Quattro's)

You can get EMP Centauri stuff on hm-sat.de - that's where I got mine anyway, no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think only the first 4 lines, 1st Satellite position takes a Quad or Quattro

Example 90cm/95cm approx Triax dish with Triax bar

134102.png
    Three different models of Quattro. Alps is the skinny one, Triax are fatter ones.
    28E - - - - 19E - - 13E - 9E

That's handy for upgrades, you then can use Quattro on other positions. If a satellite only uses one band & polarisation, then that set of 4 ports only needs a single connection from a single output LNBF.

Similarly C Band only needs two connections, not four as there is only polarisation, not band. You need a Dual LNB, not a Twin.

"Twin-output" LNB = Two separate outlets, two receivers or one PVR.
    "Dual-output" LNB = For distribution system only, outlets are the two polarisations. (can be LH & RH circular or H & V linear/orthogonal depending on satellite and model purchased)

"Quad, Octo" = 4 or 8 outlets for 4 or 8 receivers, or half as many PVRs, or mix. Only some distribution systems can use a Quad, or 4 ports of an Octo, and usually only on 1st set of inputs.

"Quattro" = 4 outlets, one each of LV, LH, HV and HH possible combinations. Only for a distribution system.

LNB Outlets can be split only on a Distribution system and only between the LNBs and the Multiswitch(es)
    OR
    If the satellite position only uses one band and polarisation, then the LNB outlet(s) can be split. If it's a Quattro or Dual, then only one outlet in such a case actually has a signal.
    See http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/lnb.htm and possibly http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/lnb2.htm (read carefully, twice!)

"Dual LNB" or "Monobloc LNB" have two LNBs and horns in a fixed package. AVOID These. The spacing is for particular market and dish, these should never be used in Ireland. Common kind has built-in two way Diseqc switch and single outlet. There are Twin Outlet and Quad outlet versions. They can't easily be used with an external Diseqc or at all with a Distribution system (multiswitch). Do not purchase or Install outside France/Germany, or for any system that might be upgraded in anyway.

Sky Dish LNBs have oval focus rings inside to suit Sky horizontal oval dish. Non-Sky LNBs have circular rings inside for a circular, or on large offset dish, oval vertically. Sub optimal performance results from using wrong LNB type.
    (via Techtir howto which will get updates)

Advertisement