Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the time signature for "One" by Swedish House Mafia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

WxfrdJay wrote: »
    Wrecking my head trying to figure it out here... I'm thinking 12/8 but I change every time I listen to it. Can anyone work this out? Here's the track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1EOGzzLy8U&feature=related

eh it's 4/4.

what's throwing you off is the phrasing

think kick on every quarter note and then on the last beat of every second bar there's the clap thingy.

so it's

Kick-Kick-Kick-Kick-Kick-Kick-Kick-ClapClap

Like I say it's the phrasing. Every stab is 3 quarter notes apart. After 2 bars it starts again with the stab coming down on the first beat of the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 WxfrdJay

jtsuited wrote: »
    eh it's 4/4.

what's throwing you off is the phrasing

think kick on every quarter note and then on the last beat of every second bar there's the clap thingy.

so it's

Like I say it's the phrasing. Every stab is 3 quarter notes apart. After 2 bars it starts again with the stab coming down on the first beat of the bar.

I understand how the phrase works I think, it's 9 'kicks' (rather than 7 as you say, or was that not meant?) plus a ClapClap, ie 10 in 8 beats. I just don't know what you'd technically call it.

It's more of a curiosity thing (and a bet), as to what the time s, I think it's either 12/8 for the whole bar or, 3/4, 3/4, 2/4 then repeated, or else it's some kinda 5-let (as opposed to triplets) squeezed into 4 beats...

I understand how the phrase works I think, it's 9 'kicks' (rather than 7 as you say, or was that not meant?) plus a ClapClap, ie 10 in 8 beats. I just don't know what you'd technically call it.

It's more of a curiosity thing (and a bet), as to what the time s, I think it's either 12/8 for the whole bar or, 3/4, 3/4, 2/4 then repeated, or else it's some kinda 5-let (as opposed to triplets) squeezed into 4 beats...

the time signature is 4/4. it's very straight forward if you just remember that on the last quarter note of every secon bar you have that clapclap bit as well as the kick.

You're completely overthinking this.

It's 4/4.
    It's 4/4.
    It's 4/4.

Not 5/4, not 7/8, not 11/8, not 6/8.

4/4.

right to make it perfectly easy to understand. here's how it looks in midi...

Picture11.png?1289689236

Green Notes are the Kicks.
    Blue Notes are the stabs (obviously the notes change but we're talking about time signature here).

Red notes are the claps.

If you bet on it being something other than 4/4, pay up.

I'm trying to analyse the rhythmic notation of the melody not the beat. I understand the beat is 4/4.

Like if you were to for some reason draft it onto manuscript how would the notation of the melody look?

• Advertisement

No the time signature is 4/4 too.

Right here's the score in terms of rhythm. The C is the kick. the A flat is the synth stabs (obviously there's no point in actually putting in the correct notes here as it's the rhytmic notation you are looking for).
    And the E flat is the claps.

Picture12.png

I'm trying to analyse the rhythmic notation of the melody not the beat.
    Title of thread is 'What is the time signature for "One" by Swedish House Mafia"

Answer....4/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Laugh out loud :pac:

I feel bad but when you're asked a question once and you answer, only to be asked again, reply with midi notation, then again, so reply with score, it's pretty difficult not to come across as a bit of a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Hey.. Go easy on yourself JT - Edit that last post ;)

• Advertisement

No it's appreciated Jsuited. I didn't actually see your answer with the midi, which has made me understand it. Though doesn't your score disagree with that of the midi? Is the melody phrase not 8 dotted-quavers followed by a crotchet and two semi quavers? And does that fit into 4/4?

I'm not arguing man, I'm just trying to understand it. The help's appreciated.

No it's appreciated Jsuited. I didn't actually see your answer with the midi, which has made me understand it. Though doesn't your score disagree with that of the midi? Is the melody phrase not 8 dotted-quavers followed by a crotchet and two semi quavers? And does that fit into 4/4?

I'm not arguing man, I'm just trying to understand it. The help's appreciated.

haha well considerin i got the score from the midi, I very much doubt the computer fcuked up the translation.

Yo man, seriously it's a lot simpler than you think. sorry if i came across a bit harsh.

Actually often when I'm teachin people they come to me with something they can't figure out (like a track with a 'weird time signature' - it has never once been a weird time signature in my experience), and as soon as you show them how simple it actually is, they're kickin themselves for wasting their time overcomplicating things.

Also, the fact that it's the Swedish House Mafia should have tipped you off that it wasn't exactly going to be rocket science.

Ok ok ok, I think I understand it now. Lookin' at that score it just didn't seem to make sense with what was on the midi (I'm a complete novice who doesn't really know how to read either properly).

A-1. Thanks for the help. I'm hittin' the Pav Cork City now for some *actual* beats rhythms and melodies ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Nearly every set I've played since this came out, I've had it as a request. Absolutely head wrecking.

To be fair, the phrasing is a bit odd, in that in the 8 bar phrases, the chord changes flow over the first beat of the 5th bar, there's no hit on it. I'm guessing that's where the confusion's coming from. The breakdown's the best example.

Nearly every set I've played since this came out, I've had it as a request. Absolutely head wrecking.

To be fair, the phrasing is a bit odd, in that in the 8 bar phrases, the chord changes flow over the first beat of the 5th bar, there's no hit on it. I'm guessing that's where the confusion's coming from. The breakdown's the best example.

Booka Shade were doing the exact same type of riffs 5 years ago. And you're playing the wrong places if you're getting requests for the swedish house mafia. Although let's not forget the night I played a LIVE set in Wax and had 4 people throwin phones in my faces requesting tiesto. that was a low. haha.
    Come to think of it, the idea of playing a request in a club is completely looney unless it's a wedding, 21st or a cheese/chart club.

actually just to show how ridiculously derivative the Swedish Sh1t Mafia are...check this...

The really ridiculous thing is there was hundreds of tracks like that about 4-5 years ago. Of course Axwell and his band of halfwits have spent the last 4 years trying to figure out how all those producers did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Although let's not forget the night I played a LIVE set in Wax and had 4 people throwin phones in my faces requesting tiesto.

You don't play Tiesto? Pffft, I bet your nights are pret-ty lame. Probably not an ugg boot or glow stick in sight. Boresville!

You don't play Tiesto? Pffft, I bet your nights are pret-ty lame. Probably not an ugg boot or glow stick in sight. Boresville!

tbh, when I used to play in the Pod and Crawdaddy there was a dedicated fanbase of skobies who would be off their nut for the whole length of my sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Booka Shade were doing the exact same type of riffs 5 years ago. And you're playing the wrong places if you're getting requests for the swedish house mafia. Although let's not forget the night I played a LIVE set in Wax and had 4 people throwin phones in my faces requesting tiesto. that was a low. haha.
    Come to think of it, the idea of playing a request in a club is completely looney unless it's a wedding, 21st or a cheese/chart club.

The only night I play where I don't get requests, is my own night in the Shaw. The Chocolate Bar on Fridays is good too, never reqests there.

(Although I got my first there last night, someone came up and said 'if you play Deadmau5 - Brazil, and I nail those 4 birds, I get €200. Will ye?' Weirdest request ever)

Pretty much every other student night in Dublin you'll get awful requests.

I just really don't understand how the mainstream hive-mind works when it comes to dance music. One doesn't really sound that different to most tracks in that genre, so why is it only that single track that they want to hear/will dance to? Same with the other popular stuff, like Deadmau5, they won't dance to other prog stuff, only ever the one Deadmau5 track they know. Like how do they even come to know these tracks? No-one listens to the radio anymore...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I just really don't understand how the mainstream hive-mind works when it comes to dance music. One doesn't really sound that different to most tracks in that genre, so why is it only that single track that they want to hear/will dance to? Same with the other popular stuff, like Deadmau5, they won't dance to other prog stuff, only ever the one Deadmau5 track they know. Like how do they even come to know these tracks? No-one listens to the radio anymore...

I actually like One. Yeah, and any accusations that can be thrown at it are true. I still don't think it's bad - and yes it's a derivative and rips off other people and I absolutely certain I've heard that riff before

And how people know it. It's been very heavily promoted - it wasn't a white label release - there's a version with Usher with a bling bling video of people dancing around - and to many people that's the only kind of thing they care about. It was on the Mixmag CD last month. People do watch television and listen to the radio.

People also post youtube links on facebook. There's at least two people on my facebook who keep posting Deadmau5 and Swedish house mafia.

It's the kind of stuff that gets played at Heaven, in Blanch. The girls get together at one of their houses, drink their alcopops, listen to "DJ music - going out music" on the radio - On a station you wouldn't listen to. Then they hit heaven and they expect to hear One.

Deadmau5 at this point sells as many records as U2. To the same people who used to buy U2 albums.

To be fair, compared to the average standard of fm radio fodder, tis not a bad track. Although I feel I've just lost a billion credibility points for saying that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

To be fair, compared to the average standard of fm radio fodder, tis not a bad track. Although I feel I've just lost a billion credibility points for saying that.

Credibility. It depends version you like. The Congo rock remix is really good.

If on the other hand. You mean the version with Usher - lose 500 credibility points and put a bag over your head to hide your shame.

Advertisement