Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What breed to get?

• 13-11-2010 10:41pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, I'm considering getting a dog and would like some thoughts on what kinds I should be looking at.. I haven't run the idea by my parents yet as I'd like to present them with a formulated plan before I approach them :P. They have been pretty strict about pets in the past but now that I'm older (19) and would be fully responsible for the dog, I don't see it being too much of an issue. The fact that I'll hopefully move out in the next 2 years should help :D

I picked up running a few weeks ago and would love to have a running buddy (especially for the dark winter evenings). I'm only running c. 2 miles at a time every other day at the moment, but that will be increasing over the next couple of months.

My dad has some issues with allergies (fairly mild) but won't tolerate hairs everywhere so a high-shedding dog would be out of the question.

I live in a semi-detached with a medium sized garden. The walls are kind of low on one side and a jack russel we had a few years ago used to love going into that garden and running around... There isn't really room in the house for a dog to sleep so it most likely would camp in a shed (if we cleared out room) or maybe a kennel (depending on cost).

Although we have had dogs in the past, I'm not very good at training them so a breed that is pretty obedient or an animal that is already trained and a few months old would be ideal. Medium sized to small dogs are preferable as I'm not sure I could convince the parents to let me house a huge dog!

Hopefully I've given enough background to work with. If other information might is needed, ask away and I'll clarify anything ye wish. Thanks for any help in advance! It's really appreciated :)

EDIT: We have no other pets or small children in the house. Also, my grandmother has a bird bath in the back garden and I'm not sure she'd appreciate mass bird-carnage :P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i think you would be better to inform the parents first as it is there house and as a parent of a 19 yr old myself i know that the magority of the work falls to me, saying that i dont mind as they are really my dogs, but might be a dif with your parents as they dont seem to keen. Also u have to think about what happens if u move out, which you will do. what if you go abroad, collage etc, what happens the dog? you dont want it to end up in pound or rescue.

Could work but i think it will depend on the parents. goodluck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i think you would be better to inform the parents first as it is there house and as a parent of a 19 yr old myself i know that the magority of the work falls to me, saying that i dont mind as they are really my dogs, but might be a dif with your parents as they dont seem to keen. Also u have to think about what happens if u move out, which you will do. what if you go abroad, collage etc, what happens the dog? you dont want it to end up in pound or rescue.

Is this the Animal & Pet issues forum or personal issues? The OP asked for advice on what dog to get, not on if his parents would like the dog or not

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Well, as I said the dog would be mine - I'd pay for it, the food etc, and obviously would take care of its exercise needs since it'd be my running partner. Might need some help with vet bills and that but otherwise I'd shoulder the expense. I just need to make sure they're ok with it living in the house.

Also, I live at home while I attend college - I'm in my second year now. I only have a 16 hour week (Tues to Thurs with Mondays off) so I'll actually be home a fair amount to look after the pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

scudzilla wrote: »
    Is this the Animal & Pet issues forum or personal issues? The OP asked for advice on what dog to get, not on if his parents would like the dog or not
    whats your suggestion then? Didnt mean to be nasty or anything but as i said i know what 19 yr olds can be like and i know i would like to be asked been the parent what my views would be on a puppy been brought into the house. it would be the grown up thing to do, and while the op is there a lot of the time she aint there the whole time and then it will be up to the other members of the family to look after the dog. Asking is only common curtisy(sp).
    i hope the op can get a dog, nothing better than to teach responsibilty. And she seems very responsible person to thing things through

Didnt mean to be nasty or anything but as i said i know what 19 yr olds can be like and i know i would like to be asked been the parent what my views would be on a puppy been brought into the house. it would be the grown up thing to do

While I appreciate this sentiment, I do know my parents and I believe they'd be less inclined to think I was serious about getting and caring for a dog if I didn't know what breed I wanted and why, and what my plans were for food, bed, exercise and all the stuff required to "set-up" a dog for its new home.

By the way I'd love to rehome a rescued animal. I was thinking of going to the DogsTrust in Finglas sometime during the week after I know what breeds to keep an eye out for. The bonus of this is that it won't be a newborn so I'll have an idea of temperament and afaik they neuter and vaccinate the dog, plus do the micro-chipping before handing it over.

Regarding an earlier point, if the dog wasn't too big it could probably sleep in the kitchen. There isn't a whole lot of room but a small-medium sized dog bed will fit. Most likely the dog will be outside for a fair amount of the day unless someone's home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

k i'll be the first to recommend : a Jack Russell. I'm 24 now and as long can i remember i've had jack russells throughout the years (probably why i love them so much).! their (in my opinion) the most friendly while crazy minded I've met. They have bucket loads of personality that makes me dislike many(ok some) humans and would be well up for a two mile run and a few pints later..! don't leave them in a shed or kennel at night, ye have better crack with them in the house(after their house trained), all in all, their deadly.!
    good luck with the parents tho, if i was you i would drop hints here and there about it and then ask when their in a good mood

We've had Jack Russels in the past and they are a bucket-load of fun alright :D. Totally hyper and crazy, though if one was to come running with me often it'd certainly expend a lot of its energy... Plus they're really cute and friendly :). I could see myself owning another, but I'd like to check out some other breeds first before making a decision!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'd second a terrier type dog too, a jrt type dog will be very well able to keep up with you while jogging but easily physically fit into your family if your folks aren't 100% convinced on the idea of a pet.

The second reason I'd suggest a terrier is that you are only 19 and in college, if you decide to move out, or go abroad or even spend a lot of weekends away with friends then a smaller dog is far easier to bring along. Dogs can live 15 years so you have to plan on having this dog until you're in your mid 30's - through college, new jobs, rental houses etc. More people are happier to accept a small dog into their house/car/bus than a larger dog

A small terrier does sound pretty good alright. The one thing I'd be concerned about is the running though. Sure they'll probably be fine for an easy 2 miles, but how will they fare when I start running longer distances? Anyone have any idea about this? Time to start googling I guess :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

A jrt would be able to do longer distances no problem at all. The same as any dog you choose you'll have to build up their fitness gradually. My 2 jrt do 6 miles no problem at all (I'm sure they'd do more but at that stage I'm fit for the bin!) What some people don't realise is that a JRT is a working dog in a minerature body so can do an awful lot

• Advertisement

That's great, thanks! Do you find the jack russel still hyper after shorter distances? I'm asking in case I'll need to go walking extra before/after a short run so that they'll get a decent amount of exercise in?

I am liking the idea of another jrt alright. The fact that we've had some before helps since I know more or less what type of personality to expect :P.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

scudzilla wrote: »
    whats your suggestion then? Didnt mean to be nasty or anything but as i said i know what 19 yr olds can be like and i know i would like to be asked been the parent what my views would be on a puppy been brought into the house. it would be the grown up thing to do, and while the op is there a lot of the time she aint there the whole time and then it will be up to the other members of the family to look after the dog. Asking is only common curtisy(sp).
    i hope the op can get a dog, nothing better than to teach responsibilty. And she seems very responsible person to thing things through

Posting about the reported posts.
    I agree with both of you here.On one hand the parents need to know but as Scudzilla says--The OP DID ask what breed to get and judging from reading his first post Im assuming that he deems everything to be ok with the parents and didnt ask about the problems with the parents which if Im going to be completely honest makes Portgirls post off topic.

Id prefer it if off topic posts were reported rather than replied to on thread.

Well I talked to my mam this morning and the only issue she seems to have is with the low walls. We can't really get fencing as our neighbours will be awkward and kick up a fuss about it, so we're considering getting an invisible fence with the dog collar. Anyone have any recommendations on where to buy these?

We'll be heading over to Dogs Trust later to see what dogs they have available for rehoming at the moment. It's not 100% going ahead yet but I'm optimistic :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP I thing a terrier is really the only kind of dog that is going to be able to run with you and not be big enough to jump over the wall. Have to point out also that you mentioned getting something a few months old as opposed to a newborn. Puppies have to stay with their mother until they are 2-3 months old so and puppies are puppies until they are around a year old, so I think what are looking for is a dog that is at least a year old.

A few cons though; Terriers are far from obedient or easy to train. Also is there anyway around your parents not letting the dog in the house? I would have concerns about keeping such a small dog outside in harsh weather. Could you maybe suggest that the dog could sleep indoors at night in a crate so it can't do any damage?

A rescue will do home checks to make sure your property is secure and suitable and want to know how the dog will be kept. They will also check that everyone who lives there is completely on board. Just a few points for you to consider further. :)

Well I've been reading up online different methods of training dogs. I'd have more research done by the time we actually get it, so I think I should be ok.

If we do get a small terrier it will sleep inside at night in a crate. We wouldn't have room indoors for a medium-large dog but the small one will be fine. It can also stay indoors while someone is home too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Well I talked to my mam this morning and the only issue she seems to have is with the low walls. We can't really get fencing as our neighbours will be awkward and kick up a fuss about it, so we're considering getting an invisible fence with the dog collar. Anyone have any recommendations on where to buy these?

We'll be heading over to Dogs Trust later to see what dogs they have available for rehoming at the moment. It's not 100% going ahead yet but I'm optimistic :D.

How high are the walls? No way a resue will rehome a dog to anyone considering an invisible fence. Personally hate these things and would never use one. There have been a few threads on these:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056017507

On one side the wall is only 2ft high - there are bushes on either side but they are no barrier to a small dog. We're just back from the centre and they said exactly that - we'll need proper fencing rather than a boundary collar. We'll have to look into that.

There was a beautiful 1yo black lab cross in the centre called Eric, who was actually pretty small. He's only new so if we decide to get him we'll have plenty of time to sort out fencing and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

If you keep the fencing solely within your side of the boundary your neighbour has no right to object. Just make sure the wall+fencing doesn't exceed 6ft in height or you would require planning permission and your neighbours could report you to the Council

Yeah getting the fencing shouldn't be a problem. Our neighbours might give out a bit about it but there's nothing they can really do :P. It looks pretty likely that we'll have a new addition to our household in the next few weeks :D I'm so excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Please don't berate me for saying this OP, but you're only 19. Dogs can live for 16 years - can you guarantee you're going to be in the position to look after a dog for all this time?

What happens after college when you want to go travelling for a year? Seriously ... have you thought about what you'll do then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have had dogs all my life & I just do not understand the "breed" thing. Dogs are individuals, not breeds. Every breed can be a super dog & good with children etc. Whenever anyone mentions a "good" breed someone else will come up with an example that goes against the perceived trend. So we get Labradors that bite, Pit Bulls that are wonderful with kids & Greyhounds that love cats.

Like a child a dog is what you make it. One characteristic of all my dogs, over the years, is that they are laid back...... because I am.

As others have said please ensure that your parents or someone else will be prepared to look after your dog when you are not around. The only time that I did not have dogs was in my late teens/early twenties. I waited until I was settled before getting another dog.

Glowing wrote: »
    Please don't berate me for saying this OP, but you're only 19. Dogs can live for 16 years - can you guarantee you're going to be in the position to look after a dog for all this time?

What happens after college when you want to go travelling for a year? Seriously ... have you thought about what you'll do then?

Who says I'll want to go traveling for a year after college? I've never had that desire to visit every country under the sun, and to be honest I find it kind of patronising that you assume I'm going to run off to foreign lands and abandon my dog as soon as I have a degree in my hand. There may be emigration in my future, and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Either of my brothers or my parents may adopt my dog if I can't bring it abroad or into rental accommodation, and if worst comes to worst I'll bring him back to the shelter (though this would be a last resort). I intend on having a pet for a very long time.
    Discodog wrote:
    I have had dogs all my life & I just do not understand the "breed" thing.

I wasn't asking about breeds personality wise, I wanted to know what breeds would be physically suitable for what I can provide - ie a small-ish dog that doesn't shed too much and can run with me for a few miles at a time.
    Discodog wrote:
    As others have said please ensure that your parents or someone else will be prepared to look after your dog when you are not around. The only time that I did not have dogs was in my late teens/early twenties. I waited until I was settled before getting another dog.

As I said above I don't envisage a situation where I will be unable to accommodate my dog, but if one arises I will deal with it then. Most likely it would stay here with my youngest brother (who's currently 13) and my parents, or perhaps my older brother will take him in if he's in a position to.

Advertisement