Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible discrimination

Options
  • 14-11-2010 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭

My place of work(a hotel) has introduced a policy that only female staff can serve tables in the bar and work in the restaurant although they have had several male staff doing so for as long as I have been there and have hired males specifically to work as waiters.
    This policy was outlined in a memo that was posted up, complained about, and swiftly taken down.
    When the managers were questioned about this they said that it wasnt going to go ahead.
    Although now it has started to happen, with all the male waiting staff getting much less hours and the female staff more- male staff getting canceled if it is not that busy while female staff not being canceled.
    On one occasion last week between the restaurant and bar- there were meant to be 3 male and 3 female waiting staff. However as it was not that busy, it was decided that some staff would have to be canceled or sent home- all 3 male staff were sent home, including one male who was the most senior/most experienced waiter.

In my opinion it seems like discrimination on gender grounds but I am wondering what I can do??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Contact the Equality Authority www.equality.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Stop posting in more than one forum for a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

Jo King wrote: »

In fainess how does that help? That should be up to the moderators to decide
    It definately comes across as discrimination to me and should not be allowed, as posted above contact the equality authority www.equality.ie or call them on 0505 24126

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Definitely contact the equality authority,
    It's very disturbing that they would put up a memo saying this.

The only reason I can think of for them cancelling the most senior/experienced guy is maybe he gets paid more?
    Do you know if this is the case?

It's still not right, but I can't think of any reason why a company would do something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nasty_Girl wrote: »
    I can't think of any reason why a company would do something like this.

I can. Mammary glands (to put it politely) are believed, by some so-called managers, to increase sales.

OP, folks are right re contacting the equality authority. You could also start chatting to folks in the management team, to try to figure out who made this stunning decision, so you can give them some info about rich business-woman in the area.

You might also like to start keeping factual records about your experiences. They can be handy if/when disputes come up in future.

(I fought something like this in my first ever takeaway job, oh-so-many moons ago: females hardly ever got assigned to the "hard" jobs in the kitchen, but I fairly quickly figured out there was no chance of promotion without learning how to do all the jobs. Took me a bit of complaining / lobbying, but I finally did get that extra 50c/hour ... which was worth something on the wage rates back then.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Jo King wrote: »

Jo King If you have a problem with a post, please use the Report Post functionality.

dudara

Advertisement