Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues getting server online

Options
  • 14-11-2010 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I am trying to set up a beginner web server at home. Im using windows xp and apache HTTP server 2.2 . I have set up apache correctly I think and I have configured some things so that it will bring up my index.html . I have set up DMZ for my server. I have made a no-ip address and I have installed the DUC for it.

When I ask friends to view the webpage they say it comes up 'page cannot be displayed' . On my network nothing comes up but it does not say any error. Any ideas on what might be happening here? The address is http://davgamers.zapto.org/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

This is my no-ip settings. I have taken out my ip of course.

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/6271/noip.png

Should this be changed in the configuration file
    # ServerName gives the name and port that the server uses to identify itself.
    # This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you specify
    # it explicitly to prevent problems during startup.
    #
    # If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address here.
    #
    #ServerName localhost:80

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

what happens if you do it from inside your network?

PS. From my end your domain comes back with

davgamers.zapto.org

Jumpy wrote: »
    what happens if you do it from inside your network?

PS. From my end your domain comes back with

davgamers.zapto.org

well when I type in the url davgamers.zapto.org on a computer in my network it just comes up with a blank page

when i typ in the local ip address of the server on my network then I find the webpage.

You have to ensure your router forwards internet requests to the correct machine and port.

Google "port forwarding" and have a read. You might also google port forwarding for your router model.

• Advertisement

You have to ensure your router forwards internet requests to the correct machine and port.

Google "port forwarding" and have a read. You might also google port forwarding for your router model.

I have set up DMZ for the server on my network. This will open any ports that has something listening right? Port 80 is open according to canyouseeme.org

It may be open to your router, but it has to know which machine to send it to.

So how can you send it to any machine?

You cant, you have to specify.

Trust me, read up on "port forwarding" for your router. It will make more sense. Opening ports on the router firewall isnt enough.

You cant, you have to specify.

Trust me, read up on "port forwarding" for your router. It will make more sense. Opening ports on the router firewall isnt enough.

Thanks for replies I have got it working through configuring apache in my router settings.

The reason I used DMZ instead of port forwarding in the first place was because there is no option for port forwarding in my vodafone router.

• Advertisement

DMZ is just an area in between firewalls. It allows you to pinhole traffic from your less secure servers. It doesnt mean that traffic is automatically fed to machines in the DMZ.

It stands for DeMilitarised Zone. You will still need to forward. Some routers refer to port forwarding by other terminology, however the best google search for it is port forwarding.

Mine for instance has it under "Services"

Just to let you know, your website is just a search placeholder. I am not sure if that is what you intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Set up a static ip address for the machine and then forward port 80 to that address.

You should be able to forward ports for your router, maybe there's an advanced page in the router settings??

Advertisement