Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AA freak show

• 14-11-2010 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Does anybody else here have any experiences of AA... good or bad??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Balbriggan mechanic

Hi. I'm new on here but this is a subject i have some experience of. I completed my 3 months in Cuan Mhuire Bruree last year and thankfully i haven't touched a drop since. I'm gonna come straight out with this, AA in my opinion is nothing more than a substitute addiction. AA members openly admit they could not do without their meetings, which to me means that they have simply transferred their addiction from alcohol to attending these meetings. The very nature of addiction is that we can as addicts become addicted to anything. I gave AA a go and could get nothing from it. I often left meetings feeling worse inside than when i entered the room. All it is to me is a room full of dry drunks (and some not so dry) swapping war stories and feeling sorry for themselves. I haven't attended a meeting in over a year and doubt i will again. I don't mean to offend anyone here, this is just my opinion on a subject about which i have some experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

There's an element of truth to that, as in the meetings can be an addiction replacement. But AA has worked for a lot of people so its a far less destructive addiction than others, I wouldn't knock it too much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement