Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best router for handling poor line quality

• 14-11-2010 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭

Hope someone can offer advice on the best router I could get for an Eircom line with poor SNR.

We have been using a Netopia 3347nwg since we got it 4 years ago and it has been overall very stable until recently as it disconnects a lot and, oddly, will only hold a dsl sync if wifi is turned off. We have been upgraded to 5mb through NGB and although our line stats are fairly bad on paper (51db attenuation and an SNR that has fallen to about 8 since the upgrade!) the connection was rock-steady at 5120 down/512 up for the first two weeks after the upgrade so I think it's only the router that is the problem.

Also, although we are quite far from the exchange the eircom tech support were certain that our line could handle 5mb.

Now that it appears we need a new router, would anyone have any recommendations for a router that could maintain a steady connection with such low SNR. We have a spare netopia 2247 (silver one) but it just makes the SNR margin worse and thus the line becomes unstable.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Hi, I have seen that issue before with the 3347 modem and it was caused by a faulty PSU ( power supply ), once the PSU was replaced the Modem and wireless worked ok again. Hope that helps.

As for a new modem/router combo there is no "best" as such, possibly if you want to spend BIG money, people can recommend what works for them as everybody has different priorities like gaming, voip, file sharing,wireless range, etc. E.G. I use a dlink DSL-2740b as it gives 3 XBOX's all open NAT's when on Live at the same time, although my Netgear DG834GT gives a better wireless signal.
    They both use a Broadcom chipset which seems to be most stable on my line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Hi, I have seen that issue before with the 3347 modem and it was caused by a faulty PSU ( power supply ), once the PSU was replaced the Modem and wireless worked ok again. Hope that helps.

As for a new modem/router combo there is no "best" as such, possibly if you want to spend BIG money, people can recommend what works for them as everybody has different priorities like gaming, voip, file sharing,wireless range, etc. E.G. I use a dlink DSL-2740b as it gives 3 XBOX's all open NAT's when on Live at the same time, although my Netgear DG834GT gives a better wireless signal.
    They both use a Broadcom chipset which seems to be most stable on my line.

Cheers, a change of plug seems to have done the trick and SNR has settled at 10.

Advertisement