Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation Diploma in training and education

Options
  • 14-11-2010 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Has anyone done the NUIG, foundation diploma in training and education?

If so what were your feelings / thoughts on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

I have done this course recently, though still waiting on my results. I thought it was a good, fairly intensive course. The first two days of workshops was going through manual material with a lot of whole group and small group activities. The second two days involved giving our ten minute presentations to the whole group (of 25) which was nerve racking but very beneficial. The assignment involved giving a 40 minute lesson to a small group (max 6 adults) in any suitable environment, on any topic. This had to be sent to them on CD along with the written assignment covering Gagnes steps and critique of your lesson. It was quite a bit of work to do in a short period of time.

I did the course as I would like to do adult tutoring and it was recognised by fas as suitability as trainer, but fas have ceased to operate a trainer list (in past few months) and are reviewing their recruitment of tutors. Hopefully, I will get to make use of my training at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭thecelt

Yeah FAS recognition had been my plan too!
    I presume I should read the entire manual before attending the first workshop?

The assignment, 10 min presentation and the 40min lesson, is that it or is there more?

thecelt wrote: »
    Yeah FAS recognition had been my plan too!
    I presume I should read the entire manual before attending the first workshop?

The assignment, 10 min presentation and the 40min lesson, is that it or is there more?

Got my results finally and very happy with them. I know you're advised to read half the manual before the first workshops. I didn't actually get to read all and didn't make any difference. First workshop really focuses on SMART and gagnes steps of lesson, so look especially at this. We were split into groups to choose a topic and fit it into a 9 step lesson plan.

The 10 min presentations were great..most people used powerpoint..I just used a flip chart in both my lessons and that was fine. There was a huge variation of presentations from how to play scrabble to breathing exercises.

The 40 min lesson has to be done with a small group (5-7) people. What subject areas are you planning to teach when you finish the course?

Would be hoping to tutor something in It / Computers, but it looks like its a hard market to crack at the moment! Between fundings being cut and people trying to hold on to the positions they have!

What about you, what are are you aiming at ?

Have done the JEB cert in computers a couple of years ago so was thinking maybe, seen couple of tutor jobs on fas website for it.

Would like to teach fetac 5/6 modules in childcare and supervision as have recently completed these modules so have all the material. Also would be interested in fetac special needs module as have studied this to post grad level.

• Advertisement

yeah i had thought about doing the jeb a few years back!

I had planned on doing the train the trainer,
    but the company i was going to do it with got all dodgy when i started asking questions, it appeared that you turned up, did the workshops and they gave you the cert!
    But then i found the foundation diploma and it seems like a better qualification!

To be honest if i could get back into the job market i wud be open to different tutoring options, have a degree in engineering and a post grad dip in computing!

I know it's cheaper to do the Train the Trainer which is a level 6 qualification. One of the agencies that was running this course until recently has been shut down. The diploma is a better qualification at level 7 and you have to put in the work to get the award. Best of luck.

Advertisement