Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State sponsorship for ACT/canberra? Good idea?

Options
  • 14-11-2010 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice once again. Me and d boyf were looking to get a skilled visa last year until my job was taken off the skills in demand list (i'm a primary school teacher). I'd gone as far as doing an Ielts test for extra points and getting skills assessed, so we were very dissappointed when we could go no further. (Boyf is a landcsaper, owns his own company ere, but has no actual qualifications jus lots of experience, so would be my de facto)
    Now I notice some states are advertising for State/regional sponsorship. I've looked into them all, and ACT need primary teachers and landscapers and WA have still to announce thier list, primary teachers are not on any other states lists.
    Would anyone have any advice on Canberra? I know its fairly quiet and work orientated, but not much else. We'd be signing up to staying there for at least 2 years so I'd like know if anyone thinks its a good idea or not? I'm jus thinking it might be a good base to work for a week or two n head off to Sydney/ Melbourne or anywhere else for a long weekend?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

I have been based in Canberra for this month of Nov and I really like the place, . It’s a nice sized city, has all the amenities all the bigger cities have and little of the downfalls like traffic congestion. There are loads of Irish lads here at present as there seems to be a good lot of construction work drawing them down from Sydney, from discussions they all seem surprised by the nightlife down here, the weeknights are quiet but fri and sat nights are kicking. Backpacker wise it doesn’t have an area to compare to bondi/st Kilda.

Weekends to Sydney are feasible by car, its less than 3 hours I think, but you would have to fly to Melbourne. Tiger offer cheap flights to melb.

During the summer you would have about 2 hours to the NSW coast for beach time and in the winter I think there are loads of ski resorts within a couple of hours drive too.

In short, if Canberra was my only option to stay in Australia for a few years I would have no problem with that.

meant to add, the average IQ in ACT is higher than the rest of oz so it should make your job a bit easier.

Advertisement