Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Reid

• 14-11-2010 1:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching him score for Sheffield Utd v Millwall.
    When did he go he leave Sunderland ?

He is looking a bit 'big' to be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

He is looking a bit 'big' to be honest.

Bloody massive more like. I expect someone will be along shortly to suggest that he should be called back to the Ireland squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

He is on loan from sunderland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Great player on his day. Fitness would/and always will be a problem for him though in today's 6% body fat average player.

I love the guy too but after Trap got pissed at him there was little left for him to aspire to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The fact that he is on loan to an English Chamionship division side says it all. It says Trappatoni knows more about football than i do.

I'm shocked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I love the guy too but after Trap got pissed at him there was little left for him to aspire to.

If that's the way he thinks then he shouldn't be a footballer as the Irish national team isn't who pay his wages. He should aspire to play his best for his club team and (possibly) see international as a bonus and honour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Great player on his day. Fitness would/and always will be a problem for him though in today's 6% body fat average player.

ok player

he was never a great player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He doesn't need to watch his weight now that he's playing for the Faroe Islands. The place is 90% eagles. Three of his teammates are fish. He probably ate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

He doesn't need to watch his weight now that he's playing for the Faroe Islands. The place is 90% eagles. Three of his teammates are fish. He probably ate them.

Eh, why have people thanked that post???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

He was on fire last season until he got injured again,

Got over that injury at the start of this season and then picked up another one,

This is only a month long emergency loan deal - Sunderland hoping he can get a bit of fitness while playing competitive games

I do expect to see him him to go out again in January though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

How does someone being physically active everyday put on weight?? Though I suppose these modern footballers only train for 45 minutes these days and then go home to tweet!:rolleyes: Perhaps Traps should send him to the Irish equivelant of Nike town for a week to magically resurrect him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

TonyD79 wrote: »
    How does someone being physically active everyday put on weight?? Though I suppose these modern footballers only train for 45 minutes these days and then go home to tweet!:rolleyes: Perhaps Traps should send him to the Irish equivelant of Nike town for a week to magically resurrect him!

Nah, Trap should send him down to Inter Milan and get him sorted like what they did with Ronaldo! Wasnt it a yeast allergy or something with Ronaldo? Maybe its the same with Reid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Eh, why have people thanked that post???

Because they saw Apres Match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Nah, Trap should send him down to Inter Milan and get him sorted like what they did with Ronaldo! Wasnt it a yeast allergy or something with Ronaldo? Maybe its the same with Reid.

A.C. Milan and it was a thyroid disorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The_B_Man wrote: »

I think its more a salad allergy our Andy has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Trapp proven right in the end. Decently talented player with a tremendously bad attitude to his work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

flahavaj wrote: »
    I think its more a salad allergy our Andy has.

an allergy to getting his bo||ocks in gear and doing some cardio work more like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Andy Reid was immense and was the star of the Sunderland team at the start of last season - playing left midfield - a position many had said he couldn't do. This also being a position he could use to find a way back into the Ireland team - when lets face it the type of player he is won't make an appearance in the centre under current management.

He had spent the whole summer doing extra cardio work with a personal trainer hired by himself. He had lost over a stone from what i can remember to get himself in shape.

I saw him play these early games in person, and nobody could doubt his ability in terms of technique and fitness, he not only was a key member of the Sunderland attack, but even I was amazed to see the effort he put into tracking back.

I had met the guy on one occasion at Durham Tees Valley Airport during this period, and fair play to the guy he looked in tremendous shape.

Nobody can doubt that he has a history and reputation as a "heavy" footballer, but those saying he lacks the effort to get himself in shape need to take a look at that period in his career. Yes maybe it was too little too late in terms of Ireland ( and in terms of his club career given he was 28) - but he did prove he has the effort and commitment to get into shape.

The unfortunate thing is he has had his injuries since then, particularly this Summer when he should have been on the same regime as the previous summer. Then having come back from the first injury he got injured again - since then it is my impression and the word on the street here that he has been loaned out in an effort to get his fitness back.

We will see what happens come January - but I expect to see him back in the Sunderland fold - many times this season I have listened to Sunderland fans wishing he was back - his quality in terms of set pieces and delivery were noticed here.

Below is picture proof that a slimline Andy Reid has existed and can do again :D

article-0-0764045D000005DC-712_468x409.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He had spent the whole summer doing extra cardio work with a personal trainer hired by himself. He had lost over a stone from what i can remember to get himself in shape.

I remember reading about his training. He lost 9kg, well done

I saw Andy on the Football League show a few weeks back. Yeah, he looked massive though I didn't want to start a thread on it. Still has a great touch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

monkey9 wrote: »
    The fact that he is on loan to an English Chamionship division side says it all. It says Trappatoni knows more about football than i do.

I'm shocked!
    Ya he has weight issues but why dismiss the championship? Half of the Irish team are currently subs in in the PL getting very little game time. Many of them could do worse than a move to a championship team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Ya he has weight issues but why dismiss the championship? Half of the Irish team are currently subs in in the PL getting very little game time. Many of them could do worse than a move to a championship team.

Its good enough for the shower across the water ATM...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Trapp proven right in the end. Decently talented player with a tremendously bad attitude to his work.

Wow.

No he wasn't proved right.

Advertisement